Tracking combat

bluesguy

In a typical combat situation in Hero there is a fair amount of bookkeeping to take care of. It seems that this would be a good place for a computer program. Has anyone found or written a program to do this?

Also using Hero Designer files as the basis input for the characters would be a helpful starting point, IMO.

Basically one would enter in the type of damage, body & stun (normal or killing), if it affected the character's vulnerability, etc. And then the result would let you know if the character was stunned, how much stun & body they had left. I would only use this for tracking NPCs.

What do you all think?

Re: Tracking combat

Also using Hero Designer files as the basis input for the characters would be a helpful starting point' date=' IMO.[/quote']

I see one problem with that: The files (and in part how it denotes powers, advantages and the like) are not open source.

On the other hand reading them out would be surpsingly easy: they are nothing but renamed XML files.

Things like inlcuiding powers taht provide characteristics in the stats will be a small problem, as well as things like growth/Density increase.

Overall it would be easier if the GM would inser the number himself.

I don't have one, but I considered making one. Once i know WPF a little bit better, it should be fairly easiy (but would require .NET 4 or higher).

I did at least make a Excel-sheet that helps tracking SPD over the course of 5 turns:

[ATTACH]40689[/ATTACH]

Just give the Dex, the name and the SPD in the respective columns. You can even sort them by Dex.

Just make the current current Segment in a differnt color and replace every formula with a fitting text (aborted, recover fomr STUN) and write thinkgs like the fade-rate at the Post segment 12 recovery.

Tracking Combat: Detect A Class Of Things: Battles (Mental Group)' date=' Tracking cost: 10 points.[/quote']

Wrong kind of tracking ;)

I meant the keeping track of combat ie bookkeeping.

BTW: I am almost done with a spreadsheet with two macros that do an adequate job - for me. It handles normal, killing, NND, & AP attacks. It takes into account PD/ED/rPD/rED. It also tracks Stunned, Out Cold, and will do the Recovery math. It is simple and kind of crude as far as UI goes but it works.

When I have used it for a few games I will post it to the free area.

The paper & pencil method works well for small combat situations - a few NPC combatants vs PC (2-4 at the most). But if you want to have the PCs wade through minions (20) and deal with master villain the paper & pencil method tends to bog down with bookkeeping. At least that was/has been my experience when I was GMing back in the late 70's & early 80's using Hero. From what I can see Hero combat is about the same so I would expect it to bog down again with bookkeeping.

Computers are very good at bookkeeping - spreadsheets were designed for bookkeeping. So I figured I might as well use the tools at hand to help with bookkeeping. I think I will start a different thread about the whole use of technology during game sessions.