Turakian Age meets Terran Empire

The Main Man

For a long time I have owned both the Turakian Age and Terran Empire campaign books, but I could never quite get a campaign off the ground for a variety of reasons. Then I came up with a way to merge them.

It comes down to this: what if that apocalyptic battle against Takofanes never happened? The Valdorian and Atlantean Ages never happened, nor any dark ages in between them. Magic never crashed, but instead slowly waned until society uses advanced artifacts (i.e. "magitech" or the like) to conduct much of what magic used too do. Last, it managed to take to the stars and become a member of the galactic community.

The idea is that of a more literal fusion of High Fantasy with Space Opera. Perhaps it could be called "High Science Fantasy."

First, what does anyone think of the idea? Second, while I plan to share some of my ideas regarding the possibilities, I'd like to hear some of my fellow HEROphiles' uninfluenced ideas first. What kinds of possibilities might such a different history hold for Earth and the alien races of the galaxy?

Re: Turakian Age meets Terran Empire

It's Starjammer, innit? Or maybe Warhammer 40K? A different special effect for the same gadgets?

I have used one of Takofanes' lieutenants as a big bad against the Champions 3000 in fanfic, though. Dragons versus spaceships? Orc hordes, werewolf packs and zombie herds in the 31st Century? Works for me. And once you've got that much time travelling going on, you could easily hook in the Terran Empire along the way.

There was a D20 campaign book a few years ago, I think it was called DragonFire or something like that, which was basically D&D in space, with lasers and spaceships in addition to +1 swords and dragons. A friend had us make characters for it way back when, but his campaign idea never got off the ground.

I believe it was Dragonstar, now that you mention it. I think War hammer 40K comes closest to what I envision, in that it has that sort of special effect that lies somewhere between technology and magic, but doesn't necessarily favor either in terms of presentation. I wish I knew the trick to making that merger. In many ways, this setting is where Clarke's Third Law and Niven's Corollary clash, or come together, or something life that.