Psychic Flashes

JmOz

I am working on a character who receives psychic flashes. As imagined the power would be primarily for the GM (Uncontrolled, vague, etc...).

Got me thinking however, should the character really have to pay for it? Now before I go on, there will be some other abilities he defiantly SHOULD pay for based on his flashes, like Danger Sense. However for the ability I am thinking about would be a "plot power" for the GM to use to get the action going, which leads me to think about the what should you pay for section in the rules. Thinking about it I question if this is his power, or the GM's if you get what I mean. If it helps any, think of the girl from Angel for how it should come down in play...

Just thinking outside the box a bit, what do you all think...

Re: Psychic Flashes

Psychic Flashes: Mental Group Flash 4d6 Active and Real Cost 12

Oh wait, that's not what you meant is it?

If you have abilities like Danger Sense and other Powers defining the character as "psychic" I can see adding in "plot devices" as part of the SFX. But if the flashes actually help the character, I can see paying for them - with heavy Limitations like No Conscious Control etc.

Not much help I suppose....

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Flashes

On the other hand, if they hidner him (like showing him new Stuff to do), this might actually be a complciations.

Subject to Orders from "My Psychic Flashes".

Physical Limitation maybe?

"subject to blackouts"

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Flashes

Physical Limitation maybe?

"subject to blackouts"

I would build that as a modified Enraged. One of the APG's (I think APG I) has some ideas for such uses. Basically Enraged can stand for "any behavior the player can't controll and has negative impacts" and I would put "lies defenseless on the ground, doing nothing" into that category.

So the wisdom of the thread is that they should not have to pay for it, and it might even be a complication?

/

Depends on how you envision it. If you think there is some usefull or hindering part to it, it would be a power or complciation respectively.

If not, "has uncontrolled visions that can be used as lead to adventure" could be written under "Campaign use" in his hd3 file.

The info the hero gets from the flashes is useful, plot point or not, so I think he should pay a little something for it. In my campaigns where I have a psychic that has visions for the sake of advancing the plot or building tension, I usually build it as KS: Random Events for 3 points. That is much cheaper than a Clairsentience build and accomplishes the goal of giving the heroes the info they need when the GM wants to give it to them.

I treat this no different from how I work Contacts.

If they always approach the player, then the NPC is purely a GMing tool.

The day the player decide to go to the NPC and ask for their help is the day they become a Contact on the players sheet.

So, as a GM, if I am occasionally giving the player precognitive visions that are mainly there as plot hooks, I'm not going to charge the player for that ability. It's a story telling aid and nothing more, something mentioned in background material but otherwise not on the sheet.

But the moment that player tries to use that ability in his own way, say by trying to grab an extra few hours of sleep during a difficult investigation, then it's got to be a power. I still have control over most of it and there will be lots of limitations, but now it's more than just a tool fro the GM.