How do I determine this...

Merlin273

Re: How do I determine this...

In a book (Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris)' date=' I read that vampires had x20 the strength and was x20 faster than a human. How would this convert to STR, DEX, SPD, and PD?[/quote']

What are your metrics?

Do you want them x20 stronger and faster than a normal human or x20 stronger and faster than a really strong and fast human?

basic asumption for damage at least is: +5 AP equals a doubling.

But generally I would throw such measurement in the bin. I mean how fast or strong is a human? Did they mean weak, average or peak human? And did the autor put even remotely enough thought into that figure to know what it means himself? It just some value to make them look uncomprehensible awesome/superior.

I would simply decide what the relative power levels between Vampires and humans should be. For example the avrage human could be a 50 point character, while the average vampire equals a 400 point superhuman. Or perhaps the average hero/pc is supposed to be 175 points (at start) and the vampires are supposed to be 300 point heavy "bosses".

I agree.

33 STR would be 24x normal, so somewhere between 30 and 33.

"faster" can mean a lot of things. Reflexes, Actions, and Movement are the three most common aspects.

Reflexes: DEX 30 is probably fair. No human will ever have initiative on them in most situations.

Actions: 20x doesn't really work here. At least from the shows they are about SPD 6, maybe more if they just fed.

Movement: Clearly stupid fast. Flying aside, they can run at probably 200mph. A human can manage 10-15mph, so if they are 20x that you are at 200-300mph. I would also say that is generally non-combat movement, but not all of it. To put that into movement terms convert to kph: 330-500. Let's go with 360kph (about 215mph).

1. Get movement per Turn

1. 360 kph * 1000 = 360,000 meters/hour
    2. 360,000 / 60 minutes per hour = 6000 meters per minute
    3. 6000 / 5 Turns per minute = 1200 meters per Turn

[*]Divide by SPEED to get meters per Phase

1. 1200 / 6 SPD = 200 meters per Phase

[*]Divide by NC multiplier (let's use 8)

1. 200 / 8 = 25 meters per Phase, combat movement

So, Running 25m, x8 NC Multiplier with a 6 Speed and 30 DEX.

This seems about right to me. They can get to anywhere in the immediate vicinity as a half or full combat move, and can get across town very fast. Whether or not that costs END, or how much, is up to you.

I suggest an END Reserve for their Vamp abilities that can only REC by drinking blood. Or apply the same to their REC characteristic.

I thought of a Power Pool called "Blood Powers"... But how to do a recharge? They'd recharge by drinking blood. Link it with a HKA? How?

Also, if a typical person is 2 SPD, then wouldn't x20 SPD be 6 SPD? So a vamp could run as fast as a speeding car, say 60-70 mph. DEX 30 is good, STR 30 is good, SPD 6 with the Running power through a multipower or EC?

I haven't gotten around to reading the books yet, but on the show, they don't run around using some powers, have a drink, then use some more powers. They just eat, like the rest of us. If they don't, they have problems. Blood is not "fuel" in the show, like it is in the Vampire the Masquerade game.