Do You Allow Damage Reduction for Other Defenses?

Nolgroth

This mostly relates to building my Hero Framework for MapTool. Do you allow other defenses (Power, Flash, etc) to have a Damage Reduction. Per the rules, it only lists Physical, Energy and Mental. I am just trying to decide if I want to expand the options or keep it tight with the rules. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Re: Do You Allow Damage Reduction for Other Defenses?

There is the option to use Damage Negation for everything from a specific Special Effect. I think Damage Reduction has something similar. It#s just a mater of definition and by Raw not worth any limitation.

But you could mean "Flash Damage Reduction". No real idea on that. And it depends on how far you want to go there:

One Flash DR for all senses? On a sense by sense basis? Or one "Special DR" that affects everything that goes against unusual defenses?

I would. In fact, I'd give it a discount, because in most campaigns Flash/Power Defense is significantly lower than PD/ED, both on average and at maximum.

Since you have to buy FD for each sense group, I guess FDR would work the same way.

@Christopher: I could go either way on Flash Damage Reduction. Either a generic one or specific senses.

@ Ice9: My framework does not account for points. You could hypothetically build a character worth thousands of points and completely unbalanced. It is still up to the GM to take a look and see if everything works. I am merely toying with the idea of allowing for the possibility. The more I think about it, the more I think that I should allow for more flexibility. Just needed a "sounding" board of sorts. Thanks.

I am still interested in other opinions.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone wanting to buy Damage Reduction for Flash or Power Defense, but if I were to do it myself, I would buy the regular defense with the limitation "Allows 50% of the effect through" because it would be cheaper. If the defense didn't affect AVAD and NND attacks, I would give the limitation a -1 value. If it did affect them it would be a -½ or -¾ depending on how common those attacks were and whether the full value or only 50% of the value could be applied toward an AVAD attack.