Around the World in 584 Days

Xavier Onassiss

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Around the World in 584 Days

...A year and two thirds to go around the planet? I hope they stopped at every port along the way' date=' because that is slow...[/quote']

They have logbooks and google earth data on their website which illustrates the route they took. Apparently the boat was built for endurance rather than speed and I think they did make quite a few stops.

They have logbooks and google earth data on their website which illustrates the route they took. Apparently the boat was built for endurance rather than speed and I think they did make quite a few stops.

Just saying, it's not the best speed advertisement for their boat. :)

Didn't someone point out that since the sun drives our winds, a sailboat is ALSO solar powered . . . and much faster? Does it make sense to brag about "no sails" when sails are BETTER than what you've got?

Didn't someone point out that since the sun drives our winds' date=' a sailboat is ALSO solar powered . . . and much faster? Does it make sense to brag about "no sails" when sails are BETTER than what you've got?[/quote']

Only because currently Sails have been in development longer.

Also note that solar panels are not nearly that vulnerable to storms on sea.

Clouds?

Contrary to popular belief not that much of an issue. Photvoltaik systems work strongly in the infrared, wich is not absorbed that strong by clouds.

And for night, there are batteries. Wich according to the article can keep to boat running for three days straight.

Seriously' date=' as a power system for a ship, this is a solution looking for a problem. Again I say onto thee: you can make POL feedstocks out of air given sufficient energy inputs. The problem isn't the traction engine. It's energy.[/quote']

At our current technical ability it is certianly not viable yet. But this was a prototype. It's more in line with the first ship to sail around the world, than with the latests.