howto?: Heartbeat Sensor

MetroCube

I want to create a heartbeat sensor that can detect heartbeats under up to 6' of rubble, or up to 50' of non-occluded space.

What I want is something like an n-ray, but that suffers a penalty to PER rolls depending on the thickness of the obstruction.

At first, I thought I could create a heartbeat sensor with a simple ranged, detect heartbeat, but that doesn't penetrate walls.

Then I considered an n-ray for the hearing group, but that penetrates obstructions *too* well, and there's no limitation I can see that creates an n-ray of varying penetration.

So now I'm considering a telescopic *and* microscopic enhanced normal hearing, but I'm not sure what kind of limitations I need to add to it to have a varying degree of penetration through different thicknesses of obstructions.

Anyone care to have a shot at this? I'd appreciate it.

Thump Thump...

I would go with a multipower. 2 ultra slots, one with just the detect bought ranged, and one with NRay, but no range. I believe it has been stated that a no range power can detect things in your hex and the hex adjacent, so that should accomplish the 6 feet you are after. If that is not sufficient, then make the second slot NRay, ranged and slap "Reduced by range" on it. No book in front of me, but I also seem to remember a limitation somewhere for increased range penalties, but I could be remembering from a previous edition.

- Ernie

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

How about just Detect Heartbeat (Hearing Group), Targeting, Ranged? The shorter range through rubble can just be a normal PER Modifier.

This is what I was thinking as well. Just give it limited range (25") and perhaps a -1 limitation (affected by dense obstruction.)

Keep it simple whenever possible.

In the real world...

This device is actually being researched for military use. If it could be built it would allow soliders to detect hidden humans. The problem is the human heart generates a small amount of sound, so the device is designed to detect the electrical signal created by the heart. The problem is the human heart generates a very small electro-magnetic signal and the device may not ever be practical. Art imitates life.

I dug out my book and looked...I'm pretty sure N-Ray sees through obstacles with a PER penalty...not "clear as day"

just a 2 cent contribution to the thoughts.

In gameplay I've enforced it that way...probably caused by watching Smallville :)

Descriptions given to Cory...

"Hey, I have X-Ray vision! Can I see bad guys in the basement of that building?"

"You're looking through a few feet of concrete and steel, some air, some office spaces, conduits, ducting, but yeah, you can make out some people shapes moving around carrying dense rifle shaped objects with shielded clips or powerpacks"

And

"I look in the ocean to find the tracks or search for the submarine"

"You can see fairly clearly up to the point that the reef stops and drops straight down. Deeper than that is more difficult. There's a lack of light, and a lack of difference in the water. It's like looking through goggles smeared with KY jelly. you can't actually see through the coral itself"

She spent an hour investigating that coral in game time. She had no idea it was radioactive, but was really surprised she couldn't break it with 60 STR, or cut it with a plasma torch.

Re: underwater would work well

Originally posted by Barton

In salt water the device is quite practical. On dry land not as effective.

Some fish and sharks use this sense. You could think of it as a tracking sense.

Tracking? I don't think so. I've never read of any reference to a creature using electrosense to track, and I'm not sure it's even possible. Targeting, yes, though only in adjacent hexes (that is, no Range).