What product(s) should I get to cover 'modern' equipment & vehicles

bluesguy

Ok I am trying to figure out what product(s) to purchase that will cover modern (not sci fi or even superpowered) firearms, tactical armor, cars, trucks, buses, radios, etc...

It would be good to have a way to 'easily' build up some groups in my Superhero campaign that are not superpowered but just powerful (mob comes to mind, narco-terrorists, etc).

Thank you

Re: What product(s) should I get to cover 'modern' equipment & vehicles

I have two guesses (don't own them myself):

For the weapons, Dark Champiosn might be an idea.

There used to be a Vehicle sorucebook for 5E (Ultimate Vehicle). No idea if there is a 6E version (asuming you need 6E).

As for using those items in Superheroic games:

Don't.

Those heroic weapons tend to be "overpowered" for the point value of those who wield them. They also háve limitations that should not be taken in Superheroic games (like STR-Minimum, Real Weapon). Trying to use heroic equipment in Superheroic games can easily make things a lot more complciated.

Your question might be better formualted "how to built mooks?":

"Champions 6E" has some example mooks. From 100 point Army Soldier, over the 275 point agent too 400 point Robot.

The most expensive/complex weapon has the 275 point (Viper) agent:

32 Multipower (52 Reserrve), all Slots 32 Charges (-0.25), all Slots OAF(-1)

2f Basic Setting: 8d6 Blast, Common Limts (-1.25)

2f Autofire Setting: 7d6, Autofire (5; +0.5), Limited range (60m, -0.25), Common Lims (-1.25)

36 total

Note that the Autofire hsa 10 DC wich is above what is normally allowed for 275 Point Characters.

Ok I am trying to figure out what product(s) to purchase that will cover modern (not sci fi or even superpowered) firearms' date=' tactical armor, cars, trucks, buses, radios, etc...[/quote']

Well, everything except the vehicles will be in the Hero System Equipment Guide. Vehicles will be in The Ultimate Vehicle. TUV was written for 5th Edition, but it's easy enough to update.

So for instance the mob/thugs wouldn't have blasters but they would definitely have handguns' date=' shotguns, and potentially automatic weapons. Also they might be able to get SWAT style armor.[/quote']

Like I said: Don't try to model them by Heroic Equipment. Heroic and Superheroic equipment don't work well next to each other.

Just pick a point total for the mooks and buy them (with points) weapons and armor fitting to that level. All should have enough PD to avoid receiving body from a 12-14 DC Blast. If they are weak, at least a "pulled" attack should not do body.

Give them weapons whose DC fit thier choosen power level. Invest the rest in OCV, 3-4 SPD and Skills that make sense.

Edit: also I would never hesistate to define a gun as Normal Damage Attack. Sure, in reality thsoe weapons kill. But in most supersettings killing isnL't wanted. Heroes tend to get "just Fleshwounds".

agreed. For example, the M1A1 Abrams tank found in The Ultimate Vehicle will absolutely destroy 90% of superheroes that were to face it, including many Bricks. IMO, normal Tanks should not be able to hurt a medium grade brick and should be easily taken apart by the most powerful bricks. The Hulk has no problem ripping tanks in half in the comics. If you were to model The Hulk in Hero, he would have a lot of trouble taking apart an M1A1 as written in the book.

I don't know why they didn't update tanks to have mostly DN and then give anti-tank rifles or things like the Hulk reduced negation.

It solves this kind of problem handily since you can build vehicles on the same scale as supers, but with extra DN & Reduced Negation.

I don't know why they didn't update tanks to have mostly DN and then give anti-tank rifles or things like the Hulk reduced negation.

It solves this kind of problem handily since you can build vehicles on the same scale as supers, but with extra DN & Reduced Negation.

Those vehicles are for heroic games. Where it is not a problem to built a weapon that can overcome 30 PD. They were never intended to work in super-settings.

For supersettings the scale is differently. No mater how generic Hero is, it can never fully suport heroic and superheroic under the same set of campaign rules.

Except that with Damage Negation, it can. Most Heroic weapons aren't going to have reduced negation, and the ones that do would mostly be anti-tank rifles and other heavy duty military grade equipment.

Replacing some of the tanks DEF with Damage Negation and altering tank scale weapons to compensate effectively changes nothing on the Heroic end of the scale, while allowing the same tanks to work with Supers.

The ability to do this kind of damage quality scaling is one of the things Damage Negation is really good at.

Except that with Damage Negation, it can. Most Heroic weapons aren't going to have reduced negation, and the ones that do would mostly be anti-tank rifles and other heavy duty military grade equipment.

Replacing some of the tanks DEF with Damage Negation and altering tank scale weapons to compensate effectively changes nothing on the Heroic end of the scale, while allowing the same tanks to work with Supers.

The ability to do this kind of damage quality scaling is one of the things Damage Negation is really good at.

I still think it is easier to built the Tank as a single Character with No Stun for Superheroic games. As the tank crew can't do anything against the hulk without thier vehicle, they can be pretty much ignored when the vehicle is desroyed.

Odds bodkins! It's Bodkins Odds!

Done.

Sean 'NonSequitur' Waters