Traveller Hero: Battle Dress (Power Armor)

AlHazred

So, my players finally got together enough scratch after four years of game time (both in and out of game) to afford battle dress for the team. It was unexpected, so I quickly looked through my notes and found "IISS Walkabout Armor" which is the less combat-heavy version; I had noted earlier in the campaign that if I eventually let them buy battle dress, this was going to be the kind, as "real" battle dress is insanely hard to find in my Traveller universe (IMTU), at least for regular tramp freighter crews. Sure, a rare few thugs can get them, but they are established members of their organizations, not fly-by-night types who might get the supplier in extreme amounts of trouble with the law.

Afterward, I looked at the stats on power armor in the Traveller Hero book for the first time, and realized it's based on the GURPS Traveller material. I'm not fond of how GURPS Traveller suits work, so I decided to work up my own, based on the material in MegaTraveller, which has a lot more flavor.

I'm almost done, I just need to double-check my math on the sensors. I found this useful paragraph in an article on battle dress from MegaTraveller Journal #1: "Its sensors can detect a campfire at 500 km and a pin dropping at 5km." Oddly enough, with Hero, these kinds of hard numbers can be translated fairly easily to in-game stats!

Detect a Campfire at 500km: I assume this is a campfire at night (why would you make one during the day?) which is an Extremely High Contrast (+5) Diminutive (-4) object at 500km (-32) for a total penalty of -31 to a Normal Sight Perception Roll; note that the armor's built-in Light Intensification system will negate the Night (-4) penalty so I haven't included it above. So, the telescopic Sight Group part of the sensor package must include at least +28 or +30 vs. Range Modifiers.

Detect a Pin Dropping at 5km: A pin dropping is approximately like a Whisper (-3) at 5km (-20 or -19 if you use the alternative RMod) for a total of -22/-23 to a Normal Hearing Perception Roll. So, the telescopic Hearing Group part of the sensor package must include at least +22 or +23 vs. Range Modifiers.

That said, here are the armors. I still need to fill out the Options. Also note that there are some foibles with the armor values because of the system I'm using to flatten out the damage/defense power creep of the Tech Level scale.

6E Equipment - TL10-15 Battle Dress.pdf

Edited by AlHazred

Re: Traveller Hero: Battle Dress (Power Armor)

A thought.

On Earth (or an Earth sized planet) about the farthest a 2 meter (6'6") tall person could see, on complete flat, open ground, before the curvature of the earth took an object (of the same or lesser height) out of this line of sight is about 5km. Anyone shorter then 2 meter would not even see that far. On planets smaller then Earth that distance would shrink as well. So there is no way that the "Detect a Campfire at 500km" is based on direct sight (unless they character was on a planet 100x the size of Earth (then in which case the gravity would be insane)). So if it is not a visual detection, then it must detect the campfire by heat/energy (thermal), but even then the curvature of the planet would block out 99% of that heat. In which case this power would best work as a "detect" power, a'la "Detect Heat Patterns" built with a high enough range to reach 500km. This would allow the suit user to detect that there is a heat source 500km away, and know what direction it was in, but not be able to visually see it until he got with in 5km of it. Of course this is assuming that the character and the campfire are on the same elevation (or a flat surface), if the campfire was on the top of a mountain then it might be in direct line of sight at 100km away, but then we are adding tons of other variables in to it, so a simple "detect heat signatures" probably works best.

there are grav belts that will lift Battle Dress to orbit

also heat rises, so you might be able to see the heat plume\

as for camp fires during the day

I would prefer a hot breakfast and lunch over a cold 1

Detect a Campfire at 500km: I assume this is a campfire at night (why would you make one during the day?) which is an Extremely High Contrast (+5) Diminutive (-4) object at 500km (-32) for a total penalty of -31 to a Normal Sight Perception Roll; note that the armor's built-in Light Intensification system will negate the Night (-4) penalty so I haven't included it above. So' date=' the telescopic Sight Group part of the sensor package must include at least +28 or +30 vs. Range Modifiers.[/quote']

IR Preception has a lot easier time. It has a rather big picture of heated air to detect. And even a fire is for me man-sized - it might not be as big, but it is wider.

Also note that those Marketing Values might include stuff like "taking a Full phase to search" (+2), or even longer and being really good a spotting things (like having genetical augmentations.

Detect a Pin Dropping at 5km: A pin dropping is approximately like a Whisper (-3) at 5km (-20 or -19 if you use the alternative RMod) for a total of -22/-23 to a Normal Hearing Perception Roll. So' date=' the telescopic Hearing Group part of the sensor package must include at least +22 or +23 vs. Range Modifiers.[/quote']

At those range values in general, consider small value Megascaling. At 1m=10m for +1/4 Megascale really helps a lot with range modifiers.

I realize I was a bit abrupt last night. I blame tiredness. It seems to me if you're taking into account the curvature of the earth for Normal Sight, then you have to do so for the whole Sight Group. Detect Heat Signatures would have to be in some group you define as ignoring intervening masses or the curvature of space, in order to eliminate the penalty. Besides, as Christopher said below, those are more-or-less Marketing statements -- technically feasible but idealized.

there are grav belts that will lift Battle Dress to orbit
The Flight doesn't have any of the restrictions I put on jets and stuff. How should I build it?

also heat rises, so you might be able to see the heat plume
It's still a range issue, but I see your point that the size modifier might be moot. I'll have to see if I can find images of IR signatures of campfires on-line.

IR Preception has a lot easier time. It has a rather big picture of heated air to detect. And even a fire is for me man-sized - it might not be as big, but it is wider.
See above. I would say that the Range Modifier and "High Contrast" modifiers are still appropriate.

Also note that those Marketing Values might include stuff like "taking a Full phase to search" (+2), or even longer and being really good a spotting things (like having genetical augmentations.
True. I'll bump those values down a couple points.

At those range values in general, consider small value Megascaling. At 1m=10m for +1/4 Megascale really helps a lot with range modifiers.
I generally tend to avoid Megascale on Senses since it seems like "cheating" to me -- why bother having Range Modifiers if you're just going to Megascale things where they would apply?

The Flight doesn't have any of the restrictions I put on jets and stuff. How should I build it?

How about:

Xm Flight, OIF (gravbelt).

Maybe 0 END, draws end from amors endurance reserve, fuel charge or something the like.

I generally tend to avoid Megascale on Senses since it seems like "cheating" to me -- why bother having Range Modifiers if you're just going to Megascale things where they would apply?

You don't have to use the full 1m=1km scale. Using just 1m=10m reduces range penalties significantly, but not totally. That way you can build the same effect for less points.

Sure it's heroic equipment, but Focus Durability is based on active points.

How about:
Xm Flight, OIF (gravbelt).
Maybe 0 END, draws end from amors endurance reserve, fuel charge or something the like.
Now I'm confused. How is that different from the Zero-G Maneuver Pack in the Options section?

You don't have to use the full 1m=1km scale. Using just 1m=10m reduces range penalties significantly, but not totally. That way you can build the same effect for less points.
Sure it's heroic equipment, but Focus Durability is based on active points.
Actually, since this is all one suit of power armor, the Durability has been calculated similar to suits of magic Armor in Fantasy Hero -- BODY is equal to the Active Points of the Resistant Protection, as it didn't seem right to base it on either the IR And LI Visor or whatever arm-mounted weapon it might have (both of which are higher in Active Point value).

Every suit has the Weight, Cost, PD, ED, and BODY in the comments for that suit. I've revised the PDF and HDP files based on finding some copypasta errors.

Off topic: Does it make me evil that the first thing I thought of was a wedding dress that doubles as combat armor?
Not a CSB.

When I was a wee gamer back in the prehistoric days (we didn't even have a Web!) the Traveller universe was basically fluff text in the main rulebooks, which were small saddle-stapled, cheaply-made booklets. For years, my group played it as if Battle Dress was some sort of power armored kilt outfit, because of the "dress" connotation. The line art we drew then is doubly-embarrassing now -- poorly drawn and horrendously inaccurate!

Not a CSB.

When I was a wee gamer back in the prehistoric days (we didn't even have a Web!) the Traveller universe was basically fluff text in the main rulebooks, which were small saddle-stapled, cheaply-made booklets. For years, my group played it as if Battle Dress was some sort of power armored kilt outfit, because of the "dress" connotation. The line art we drew then is doubly-embarrassing now -- poorly drawn and horrendously inaccurate!

Oh those images....

Would rep you, but can't.

I remember the little traveller books. And rolling lots of d6 to create a character. And finding out that a ensign with 20 years of service made as much pension as a admiral with 20 years... (pension was determined solely by time in service, not by rank.)

I remember the little traveller books. And rolling lots of d6 to create a character. And finding out that a ensign with 20 years of service made as much pension as a admiral with 20 years... (pension was determined solely by time in service' date=' not by rank.)[/quote']

Just looked into my books. There is a BIG difference. Admiral get's 3 times as many Mustering Out Benefits, a +1 for rolls on the Muster out table. And the extra Roll on the Skill table per promotion.

Okay, I think that was the last update for today. I've Linked most of the systems to the Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) because it seemed more efficient than giving the suit a "realistic" Endurance Reserve. That Life Support runs on a Fuel Charge; when it runs out, all suit systems that are dependent on electricity shut down. I've updated the PDF as well. I need to write up little blurbs for each, since most of the Megatraveller stuff is all spread out.

Okay' date=' I think that was the last update for today. I've Linked most of the systems to the Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) because it seemed more efficient than giving the suit a "realistic" Endurance Reserve. That Life Support runs on a Fuel Charge; when it runs out, all suit systems that are dependent on electricity shut down.[/quote']

That also means a aimed shot at the life support, drain life support or dispel life support will shut down the entire suite.

That also means a aimed shot at the life support, drain life support or dispel life support will shut down the entire suite.
All suit systems are bought through the same focus anyway. And I'm not worried about Drain Life Support, as that doesn't show up anywhere in my campaign. It's a -0 limitation anyway, just to indicate what systems shut down when the power runs out.

• 2 years later...

I took the opportunity to upload a new version of the battle dress suits. I got rid of complicated Linked limitations, and went instead with a Unified Power (powered system) limitation -- when you run out of juice, you're stuck with just the basic functions of an articulated metal chassis, namely that it occupies space and has mass.