1st edition Fantasy Hero: other changes in later printings?

rravenwood

Hello,

I've been lurking here for quite some time, but have only registered very recently. I played HERO System up until about 20 years ago, then stopped RPGing altogether and sold off my books. Having unearthed a box of my old campaign notes, characters, and other gaming materials which I had held onto even though I got rid of the rule books, my interest has re-awakened, and now I'm enjoying going back and re-acquainting myself with the hobby of my younger days (boy, that makes me sound older than I feel...).

At any rate, both for nostalgia and to make sense of those old campaign notes, I've picked up a copy of 1st edition Fantasy Hero, which says "First Printing June 1985". In an old thread here (http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/36747-Original-Fantasy-Hero -- I didn't want to necro-post something that far back...) there is a reference to later printings that incorporated the errata/changes included in the Magic Items and The Spell Book supplements (which I've also re-acquired). My question for any old-timers (or young collectors!) with a later printing of 1st ed. is if the inclusion of the errata was the only real difference from the first printing? I ask because there are several errors of repetition in the text of the first printing. For example, the last two paragraphs on p.15 are nearly identical to the first two paragraphs on p.16; on p.45 the last three paragraphs of the Transform effect description consist of a sandwich of two nearly identical paragraphs with an incomplete paragraph fragment in between; on p.47 the second and third paragraphs of the Delayed Effect advantage are nearly identical; etc. (those are just ones that I could find quickly by flipping through the book, there are more.)

I know that this is of no real consequence, as the rules are still pretty clear (and I can always reference other Hero System books/editions if something is particularly confusing), but I'm curious nonetheless. I'm enjoying going back through the old material and seeing how much I remember (and how much I don't!). Maybe in a couple years when the kids are older, I might run them through some Fantasy Hero adventures!

Thanks in advance!

rravenwood

Re: 1st edition Fantasy Hero: other changes in later printings?

I believe that that was the only change between the two printings. There were some textual errors and repetition and so forth, and I think they got carried. Which was part of the reason for the errata page.

Thanks for the answer Chris! I believe I had originally purchased the book when it was first released (having started playing 2nd-edition Champions a couple years earlier), so my current copy is undoubtedly identical to the old one - I just don't remember the errors/repetitions in the text (which is understandable considering how far back it was...)

Not really that epic a story, but a sad one to any gamer who has moved around a fair bit.

Due to a really screwed up sequence of events (mostly on the part of the Post Office), the billing card on my storage unit got denied, and the warning notices they mailed were redirected to a different address. By the time I learned bout the error, my storage was GONE, with most of my classic gaming stuff (All my 1st & 2nd Ed Runequest stuff, all my pre 4th HERO stuff, most of my Warhammer minis, all my old Traveller digests, and all my Car Wars stuff *sob*), as well as both of my longbows, all my yearbooks and mementos, and my redwood burl and sheepskin throne my favorite uncle gave me.

• 2 weeks later...