Bio-Booster Armor Guyver

Claire Redfield

Re: Bio-Booster Armor Guyver

Hmmm... In that case you might consider both a charge and the high END cost. While charge normally supersedes the need for END' date=' as I recall there's a way to do both. No, it wasn't the OVA. As I recall, there were two different series (I want to say Bio-Booster Armor Guyver and Guyver: Out of Control) which both covered the same thing but G:OoC being bloodier and less coherent[1']. I do remember the series being fun but leaving a lot of unanswered questions, but that was pretty typical of anime at the time.

Yeah, the newer series is definitely better. I don't remember what its name is, I'll have to check again. I'm due for a re-watch.

I assume it has lots of Penetrating or Armor Piercing. Heck, I might give it a "lightsaber" build (AVAD + Does Body).

As for the adding damage rules, it's because you're effectively adding all those same advantages onto your STR when you add in STR damage to your HKA.

[1] - We'll pretend the live-action movies never happened.

As it is right now, I gave the Vibroblade NND, with force field or another vibroblade to block being the required defense. Mostly because it murderizes anything that gets in its way.

I would build this as a "Computer" with some fairly limited skills and "programs". If you have the right books' date=' some of the starship computers that can work as autopilots should give you an idea of where to start.[/quote']

Where in the books (and HD) might I find this?

Well, with enough regular STR, you'll do that. Remember a normal human is only going to have 2-8 PD. So, doing 10+ normal damage is going to get Body through. You can increase this by either having extra STR or HA for certain "maneuvers".

Now, it will need to be quite a bit extra to do that to a Zoanoid due to the higher Body and PD, so if you want to make the STR Killing, you'd basically have to add an HKA to the build for the appropriate amount of damage. That's basically the way Martial Arts in the Hero System model lethal attacks.

Hm. So no kind of killing attack martial arts strike or anything? Guyver crush Zoanoid skulls or snap limbs with their terrible strength all the time.

That seems a bit too powerful for the Mega-Smasher. Be aware that the realm of a 1 kilo-ton nuclear explosion is around 13D6K damage.

Funny enough, that seems a bit low to me for a nuke. But even if not, the Mega-Smasher being in that ballpark is actually fine, it makes sense for me—it doesn't cover near the area. If it did, however, the damage would probably be pretty comparable. The Mega-Smasher smashes whatever it hits but good. ^_^

Has the author listed the power output of the Mega-Smasher in any supplemental material? Granted' date=' it's been years since I've read the manga. Saw about half of the newer version of the series a few years ago (I would like to get it on DVD or Blu Ray eventually). I would probably make the Mega-Smasher around 7D6K with copious amounts of Armor Piercing and Penetrating. I would even consider AVLD (Force Field) Does Body for it. Is the beam it fires really 10 meters high?[/quote']

I could lower the height, I think. I just wanted to be covered. It does spread a bit, though, so it hits 10 meters wide, I'm sure. And yeah, AVAD might fit—generally, one has a force field or insane power (like Alcanfel, to whom a Mega-Smasher might as well be a stiff breeze) to survive it. Even so, it has to do enough damage to vaporize walls, vehicles, Zoanoids in one hit. I figure a lot of Zoanoids have higher than average Body, but much of their toughness comes from defenses.

I would build the Vibroblades as 3D6 HKA with double Armor Piercing. The typical Zoanoid should have hardened Armor or Resistant Defenses so that normal soldiers even with AP round would be very ineffective against them' date=' but the Guyver's vibroblades cut through them like butter.[/quote']

I like the idea on the Zoanoid defenses, because you're right: regular AP rounds and small arms fire is about useless against them, but vibroblades kill even most Hyper-Zoanoids in one deadly stroke. 3d6 HKA seems pretty low for that kind of deadliness, even with Strength, doesn't it?

I think there have been three Guyver Animations; Guyver: Out of Control which was a 1-shot movie' date=' a 12-episode OAV series based on the first 4 volumes of the manga and the newer 26 episode tv series based on the first 10 volumes of the manga. Many old skool anime fans probably prefer the older 12 episode OAV series as that is what gave The Guyver it's status outside of Japan. The manga was less well-known over here (though fans of the anime probably eventually read the manga). I personally prefer the newer 26 episode series because it was a bit more faithful to the manga than the OAV series and was better executed IMO.[/quote']

I prefer the newer series, as well. I like the manga best, but I haven't been able to collect it all yet. There is some really great stuff therein, though.

Murakami is my favorite character, or was for a while, anyway. And I think Guyver III looks ridiculously cool. Though I am liking the new "Guyver IV", the female Guyver. I wish we had more of those!

Yeah' date=' the newer series is definitely better. I don't remember what its name is, I'll have to check again. I'm due for a re-watch.[/quote']

I'll have to check it out at some point. Of course, currently I've got a few other anime to get caught up on first.

As it is right now, I gave the Vibroblade NND, with force field or another vibroblade to block being the required defense. Mostly because it murderizes anything that gets in its way.

Yep, that's basically what I was thinking. Make sure it has Does BODY.

Where in the books (and HD) might I find this?

Well, there's the ECSP-7000 Shipboard Computer on pg 185 of 6E2.

Hm. So no kind of killing attack martial arts strike or anything? Guyver crush Zoanoid skulls or snap limbs with their terrible strength all the time.

Check out the Martial Maneuver "Killing Strike" on pg 91 of 6E2.

I like the idea on the Zoanoid defenses, because you're right: regular AP rounds and small arms fire is about useless against them, but vibroblades kill even most Hyper-Zoanoids in one deadly stroke. 3d6 HKA seems pretty low for that kind of deadliness, even with Strength, doesn't it?

Well, a a light warhorse has 16 Body and a M1A1 has 25 Body.

It's possible for Normal Damage attacks to crush things and break bones as well. It's simply a function of overwhelming amounts of Normal Damage and how much Body is done with the attack. A Guyver Unit with a Strength score of 40 (8D6N) some Martial Arts (Crush at +4D6) and some Combat Skill Levels could easily acheive 14 to 16 Damage classes. It's not that unusual to roll as much as 20 Body or more with such an attack and at the higher damage levels (critical hit etc) the Guyver would be able to damage a Tank with it's bare fists and a Haymaker or Offensive Strike.

Funny enough, that seems a bit low to me for a nuke. But even if not, the Mega-Smasher being in that ballpark is actually fine, it makes sense for me—it doesn't cover near the area. If it did, however, the damage would probably be pretty comparable. The Mega-Smasher smashes whatever it hits but good. ^_^

This could be opening a HUGE can of worms, but that's because the Hero systems Damage mechanic is exponential in nature. +1 Damage Class seems to be a doubling of energy output. +1 Defense seems to be near to twice as much protection. +1 Body makes an object nearly twice as tough. That may sound kinda funny, but this is how we get from a 9mm doing 1D6+1 killing damage to a .50 handgun at 2D6K. That's only a +2 Damage class difference for a weapon that produces 4 times the energy. 2 times the energy = +1 DC. 4 times the energy = +2 DC. 9mm glock is around 500 ft/lbs of energy. Does 1D6+1K. Desert Eagle does around 2000 ft/lbs. Does 2D6K. See how that works? Now take this to it's logical conclusion. Nuclear explosions end up somewhere around 12D6K to 13D6K. That's 30 doublings of energy from that Desert Eagle or over 20 billion times the energy of a Desert Eagle!

Yes, some of us Hero fans have WAAAAAAY too much time on our hands.

Sometimes you will see very high damage levels for mundane weaponry. This is because the person who wrote those up either doesn't understand the exponential nature of Hero's damage mechanic, or they know and don't care or refuse to acknowledge it (there are a lot of those running around) because the bigger damage numbers look better to them. These same individuals have a difficult time with the fact that Tanks have a Body of 19 and an Aircraft Carrier has a body of around 30. The best way to get stuff to perform as you see it in the anime/manga is to get the right balance of Body, Defense and Damage Class.

I could lower the height, I think. I just wanted to be covered. It does spread a bit, though, so it hits 10 meters wide, I'm sure. And yeah, AVAD might fit—generally, one has a force field or insane power (like Alcanfel, to whom a Mega-Smasher might as well be a stiff breeze) to survive it. Even so, it has to do enough damage to vaporize walls, vehicles, Zoanoids in one hit. I figure a lot of Zoanoids have higher than average Body, but much of their toughness comes from defenses.

Walls and vehicles are easy to vaporize in Hero. Especially with NND/AVAD does body attacks. You have to be wary of things with high Body/Def like Tanks. It takes some numbers fiddling to get it right, but it is possible to get there. A 7D6K AVAD-Does Body Mega Smasher will vaporize pretty much all standard vehicles, any wall and most Tanks it will come across. With an average of about 25 Body damage per blast, there's not much that can stand up to 1 blast of that sucker, let alone a second blast.

3D6HKA at Double Armor Piercing with a STR 40 and no STR-min for the blades, comes out to about 5D6K damage with just STR. Add to that the ability to attack twice in a single phase with no OCV penalty (+2 OCV with Sweep representing two vibroblades). Add some Martial Arts and Skill Levels to that and 6D6K is easily achievable which comes out to 21 Body damage on average, vs 1/2 Defenses. Times 2, or more if the Guyver takes a penalty. One (or several) dead Zoanoid. Those damage levels would instantly kill any normal human with zero problems.

I prefer the newer series, as well. I like the manga best, but I haven't been able to collect it all yet. There is some really great stuff therein, though.

Murakami is my favorite character, or was for a while, anyway. And I think Guyver III looks ridiculously cool. Though I am liking the new "Guyver IV", the female Guyver. I wish we had more of those!

Yeah, I used to have quite a bit of the manga, but lost it somewhere along the way. I want to see the rest of the newer series and I feel it is good enough I wouldn't mind tracking it down in Blu-Ray and owning it.

• 1 month later...

Here is what I put together several years ago when I was unemployed. Hopefully it'll help:

Guyver I

Value Characteristic Points

8/73 STR -2

28 DEX 54

24 CON 28

28/29 BODY 36

18 INT 8

18 EGO 16

28 PRE 18

5 COM -2

2 PD 0

5 ED 0

6 SPD 22

20 REC 26

48 END 0

44/45 STUN 0

Total 204

Points Powers END

90 Multipower (90-pt reserve)

m-4 1½d6 Vibrating Arm Blades (Total 3d6+1); Range: 0; Extra Time Required: Only At Startup, ½; Extra Time: full phase, -½; No Knockback: -¼; Penetrating: +½; Armor Piercing: 1, +½; OIF: -½; Requires Skill Roll to Activate: -½; Active Points: 56; Reduced END: Half, +¼ 2

m-18 2d6 Sonic Cone (RKA); Range: 450; Area Effect (Cone): 12" long, +1; Increased STUN Multiplier: +2, 1; Active Points: 90 9

m-7 Sonic Cone (Missile Deflection) (Bullets, None, OCV 14); Deflect Attacks: Adjacent, +½; Deflection Bonus: 5, 10; OCV: 14

m-6 10d6 Medal Cannon; Range: 375; Versus: ED; Beam Attack: -¼; No Knockback: -¼; No Range Penalty: +½; OIF: -½; Active Points: 75; OIF: -½ 7

m-5 4d6 Pressure Cannon; Range: 300; Reduced by Range: -¼; Active Points: 60; Waist Gravity Controller: Inobvious Accessible, -½; Requires Skill Roll: -½ 6

u-42 6d6 Mega-Smashers; Range: 0; Extra Time: full phase, -½; Increased END: ×2, -½; Penetrating: +½; Armor Piercing: 1, +½; Area Effect (Line): 72" long, +1; Concentrate: 0 DCV, -½; Gestures: Instant Power, -¼; No Knockback: -¼; No Range: -½; OAF: -1; Active Points: 270 54

m-8 +60 STR; Doesn't Affect Figured: -½ 6

m-5 30" Flight (NC: 120"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×4, +5; Active Points: 65; Requires Skill Roll: -½; Concentrate: ½ DCV, -¼; Increased END: ×2, -½; OIF Waist Medal: -½ 12

40 Head sensors; OIF: -½

(7) 360-Degree Sensing (Unusual Senses); Active Points: 10; OIF: -½

(3) Discriminatory Sense (Spatial Awareness); OIF: -½

(17) Spatial Awareness; Active Points: 25; OIF: -½

(13) Targeting Sense (Spatial Awareness); OIF: -½

30 Life Support (total)

30 END Reserve (150 END, 15 REC/turn)

40 Regeneration (2 BODY/Turn); Regenerate: From Death, +20

20 Multiform: Sho Fukamachi; Form: Second, ×2; Must be at full health: Seriously, -½

36 Multiform: Self Defense Mode; Form: Additional, ×1; Trigger: Set, +¼; Extra Time: full phase, -½; Extra Time Required: Only At Startup, ½; When host is dead or unconscious: Infrequently, -1; Activation: 12-, -¾; Invisible: To All Senses, +1

7 Growth-1 (×2 mass, ×1.2 height); Mass: 170 kg/374 lbs; Height: 216 cm/7'1"; Extra STR: 5; Knockback Reduction: -1; Extra BODY: 1; Extra STUN: 1; DCV Penalty: -1; PER Penalty: +1; Reduced END: Zero & Persistent, +1; Always On: -½ 0

8 Superleap (+10", 25", NC: 50"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×2, +0; No Non-Combat: -¼ 2

14 Running (+9", 15", NC: 30"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×2, +0; Has Turn Mode: -¼ 3

6 Mental Defense (10 pts)

10 Power Defense (10 pts)

37 Armor (20 PD/20 ED); Ablative: -1; Hardened: ×1, ¼

463 Total Powers

Points Skills, Talents, Perks Roll

5 PS: Student 14-

2 Guyver Skill 13-

3 KS: Chronos 12-

15 +3 level w/Group of Attacks

25 Total Skills, Talents, Perks

300+ Disadvantages

25 Distinctive Features; Concealability: Not Concealable, 15; Reaction: Extreme, +10

20 DNPC Mizuki (love interest) (Normal, 14-); Skills: Normal, +0

15 DNPC Tetsuro, best friend (Normal, 14-); Skills: Useful, -5

15 DNPC, father (Normal, 11-); Skills: Normal, +0

30 Hunted, Chronos (14-); Capabilities: More Powerful, 15; Non-combat Influence: Extensive, +5; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

10 Hunted, Government (8-); Capabilities: As Powerful, 10; Non-combat Influence: Extensive, +5; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Mild, -5

15 Reluctant Hero (Common, Strong)

15 Secret ID: Sho Fukamachi

20 Susceptibility: Control Medal Removed (1d6 BODY/Segment); Condition: Uncommon, +5

20 Vulnerability: Control Medallion struck (2× STUN and BODY); Attack: Uncommon, +5

185 Total Disadvantages

COSTS: Char. Powers Total Total Disadv. Base Exp.

204 + 488 = 692 545 = 185 + 300 + 60

OCV DCV ECV Mental Def. PD/rPD ED/rED Phases

9 9 / 8 6 10 22/20 25/20 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

Height: 180/216cm (5'11"/7'1"), Weight: 85/170kg (187 lbs/374 lbs)

Guyver Self-Defense Mode

8/46 STR -2

28 DEX 54

24 CON 28

28/29 BODY 36

5 INT -5

18 EGO 16

28 PRE 18

5 COM -2

5 PD 3

5 ED 0

6 SPD 22

7 REC 0

48 END 0

44/45 STUN 0

Total 168

Points Powers END

70 Multipower (70-pt reserve) (70)

m-5 +33 STR; Doesn't Affect Figured: -½ (33) 3

m-5 4d6 Pressure Cannon; Range: 300; Reduced by Range: -¼; Active Points: 60; Waist Gravity Controller: Inobvious Accessible, -½; Requires Skill Roll: -½ (60) 6

m-6 30" Flight (NC: 240"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×8, +10; Increased END: ×2, -½; Active Points: 70; Waist Gravity Controller: Inobvious Accessible, -½; Concentrate: Throughout & ½ DCV, -½ (70) 12

m-8 2d6 Vibrating Arm Blades (Total 3d6); Range: 0; Extra Time Required: Only At Startup, ½; Extra Time: full phase, -½; No Knockback: -¼; Penetrating: +½; Continuous: +1; OIF: -½; Requires Skill Roll to Activate: -½; Active Points: 75 (75) 7

u-14 3½d6 Mega-Smashers; Range: 0; Activation: 11-, -1; Extra Time: full phase, -½; Penetrating: +½; Area Effect (Line): 32" long, +1; Concentrate: 0 DCV, -½; Gestures: Instant Power, -¼; No Knockback: -¼; No Range: -½; OAF: -1; Active Points: 137 (137) 14

m-5 9d6 Medal Cannon; Range: 335; Versus: ED; Beam Attack: -¼; No Knockback: -¼; No Range Penalty: +½; OIF: -½; Active Points: 67; OIF: -½ (67) 7

m-5 5d6 EB (Sonic Cone); Range: 0; Versus: ED; Area Effect (Cone): 7" long, +1; Armor Piercing: 1, +½; OIF: -½; No Range: -½; Active Points: 62; OIF: -½ (62) 6

24 Head sensors; OIF: -½ (24)

(17) Spatial Awareness; Active Points: 25; OIF: -½ (25)

(7) 360-Degree Sensing (Unusual Senses); Active Points: 10; OIF: -½ (10)

27 Armor (6 PD/6 ED); Ablative: -1 (54)

7 Growth-1 (×2 mass, ×1.2 height); Mass: 170 kg/374 lbs; Height: 216 cm/7'1"; Extra STR: 5; Knockback Reduction: -1; Extra BODY: 1; Extra STUN: 1; DCV Penalty: -1; PER Penalty: +1; Reduced END: Zero & Persistent, +1; Always On: -½ (10) 0

30 Life Support (total) (30)

8 Running (+5", 11", NC: 22"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×2, +0; Has Turn Mode: -¼ (10) 2

10 Power Defense (10 pts) (10)

6 Mental Defense (10 pts) (6)

8 Superleap (+10", 19", NC: 38"); Non-Combat Multiplier: ×2, +0; No Non-Combat: -¼ (10) 2

40 Regeneration (2 BODY/Turn); Regenerate: From Death, +20 (40)

45 Takes No Stun; Loses: BODY and Abilities, 45 (45)

323 Total Powers

4 Guyver Skill 15-

15 +3 level w/Group of Attacks

19 Total Skills, Talents, Perks

300+ Disadvantages

20 Distinctive Features; Concealability: Concealable, 10; Reaction: Extreme, +10

10 Hunted, Government (8-); Capabilities: As Powerful, 10; Non-combat Influence: Extensive, +5; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Mild, -5

15 Secret ID: Sho Fukamachi

20 Reputation (14-, Extreme)

8 Enraged, attacked (14-, 14-); Circumstances: Uncommon, +5

20 Vulnerability: Control Medallion struck (2× STUN and BODY); Attack: Uncommon, +5

20 Susceptibility: Control Medal Removed (1d6 BODY/Segment); Condition: Uncommon, +5

113 Total Disadvantages

COSTS: Char. Powers Total Total Disadv. Base Exp.

168 + 342 = 510 473 = 113 + 300 + 60

9 9 / 8 6 10 11/6 11/6 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

Sho Fukamachi

8 STR -2

11 DEX 3

11 CON 2

11 BODY 2

18 INT 8

18 EGO 16

10 PRE 0

18 COM 4

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

3 SPD 9

4 REC 0

22 END 0

21 STUN 0

Total 42

Points Powers END

31 5d6 RKA; Range: 0; Area Effect (One-hex): 1 hex(es), +½; Personal Immunity: +¼; No Range: -½; Incantation: Instant Power, -¼; Concentrate: 0 DCV, -½; Only when returning to base form: Almost Completely, -2 (131) 13

31 Total Powers

2 Professional Skill: Student 11-

2 Guyver Skill 13-

4 Total Skills, Talents, Perks

25+ Disadvantages

15 DNPC (Normal, 11-); Skills: Normal, +0

30 Hunted, Chronos (14-); Capabilities: More Powerful, 15; Non-combat Influence: Extensive, +5; Geographical Area: Unlimited, -0; Actions: Hunting, ×1; Punishment: Harsh, 0

15 In Love with girlfriend (Common, Strong)

15 Fear of hurting loved ones (Common, Strong)

100 Total Disadvantages

COSTS: Char. Powers Total Total Disadv. Base

42 + 35 = 77 125 = 100 + 25

4 4 6 0 2/0 2/0 4, 8, 12

Obviously, I agree wholeheartedly with not only using Multiform, but also Berserk for Defense Mode. Split hairs all you like -- when the Guyver is in Defense Mode, it attacks anything it sees as a threat, whether it be friend or foe. The simplest way to make that is Berserk. In my opinion, any other way is convoluted and difficult to understand. Also, one unexpected benefit of Multiform I discovered while making this is that the explosive effect for when Sho summons the armor is quite cheap.

This version is much less powerful than the one you appear to be making, but it might save you some time on your checklist. I took great care to represent every aspect of the Guyver's abilities: the Missile Deflection cone, sensor orbs, arm blades, and yes, the Mega-Smasher. For the Zoanoids, Hyper-Zoanoids, and Zoalords I also created (not posted), I chose not to build their non-powered versions, because it just didn't seem necessary. It was just simpler to assume that if there was to be combat, the Zoanoids would already be transformed. Obviously it didn't take into account a surprise attack, but nobody's perfect. :)

If you're also planning to include Guyver Gigantic, the Multiforms should really be on that character rather than Guyver I. I'm happy to post my writeup for that as well, but I'll be the first to admit I only had limited knowledge of GG at the time.

Let me know if this was helpful and what else, if anything, you'd also like to see that might be helpful.

[edit] I just noticed that the MP pool for Guyver I (90) and Guyver Defense Mode (70) are different. Before anyone skewers me for it, I have no recollection why. Also, these were written up with Meta Creator, which allowed you to exceed the MP pool points by charging you 1-for-1 for everything exceeding the pool. For example, a 100 AP power in a 90 pt pool would cost 90/10=9, +10 for the overage = 19 points. HeroDesigner won't do that. And finally, Growth, Always On (as well as Density Increase, Shrinking, etc.) is discouraged now, but at the time I made this, those constructs were fine.

• 8 years later...
On 10/3/2012 at 12:22 AM, Captain Pants said:

Sho Fukamachi

8 STR -2

11 DEX 3

11 CON 2

11 BODY 2

18 INT 8

18 EGO 16

10 PRE 0

18 COM 4

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

3 SPD 9

4 REC 0

22 END 0

21 STUN 0

Total 42

Points Powers END

31 5d6 RKA; Range: 0; Area Effect (One-hex): 1 hex(es), +½; Personal Immunity: +¼; No Range: -½; Incantation: Instant Power, -¼; Concentrate: 0 DCV, -½; Only when returning to base form: Almost Completely, -2 (131) 13

31 Total Powers

2 Professional Skill: Student 11-

2 Guyver Skill 13-

4 Total Skills, Talents, Perks

25+ Disadvantages

15 In Love with girlfriend (Common, Strong)

15 Fear of hurting loved ones (Common, Strong)

100 Total Disadvantages

COSTS: Char. Powers Total Total Disadv. Base

42 + 35 = 77 125 = 100 + 25

4 4 6 0 2/0 2/0 4, 8, 12

How would you build this and the "human" form with base points 150 and disad. 100 hehe.