Side effect: aging

Zomboner

Hello hero community! First off, I am new to the game, but very excited to try running a short story arc to get my group interested. Since I am new here, I apologize in advance for any unintended breaches of protocol!

Here's my question: I have a player who wants a character who is slowly being aged through the use of his powers (since this is more or less a one-shot, I am fine with this). I was thinking we'd do this as a Side Effect limitation to his powers. I was thinking a Transform, since it needs to be cumulative. Does anyone have a suggestion for a simpler way to achieve this effect? Maybe something that's not in the 6e character creation book?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Side effect: aging

Ok, great! So at least I am thinking along the proper lines, it seems. I'll look more closely at drain. If there's a way to make the refresh rate as long as we're imagining for his character, that might be more straightforward.

So any suggestions for how to model the aging effect (it's more than just cosmetic, obviously)? I am thinking a reduction in characteristics like strength, so I think that means either taking a linked transform so it reduces several at the same time, or giving it an advantage like variable effect to let it apply to different characteristics.

Well, first of all you would need to decide how "slowly". Honestly if its not going to take effect any time soon he can just say it is doing it and not worry about how to put it on a character sheet. (My concept character "Double Time" has this as a 0 point complication, for instance, as its just informational, not really relevant to the game). If it is something much more immediate it would have to be done as a transform (drains heal back over time, and if its aging him it shouldnt do that) but your player needs to understand that if its bought like this every time he uses the power it would get a point of transform, so it wont take many uses for him to be "an old man".

The other option is to follow the standard HERO guideline, what does it DO? making you old is a special effect, in game terms what exactly is the EFFECT of his aging, are his stats going down? (CON/BODY/STUN/DEX/RUN for instance?) Are his powers getting weaker? is he loosing his hearing/sight? (-'s to PER rolls) etc. Once you know what effect you want his "aging" to have on him you can go from there. Probably the easiest option from a RAW (Rules as Written) standpoint would be to build a "Old Man" character sheet for his character, this would be at the point where he would be "forced to retire" from heroing. Then he takes the side effect as a transform that is turning his character into the Old Man. As the GM use the partial transformation rules, so as he accumulates BODY of transform his stats look more and more like the Old Man Sheet.

Personally, however, if i were to be GMing for this character this is the sort of situation where I would leave the Rule Book behind. I would discuss with my player how he wanted this handled, and simply apply the effects as we go (maybe having him loose a point of one stat or the other every game session). This would put an expiration date on the character, but there is nothing wrong with that if thats what you and the player want to happen.

Edit: just had another thought on how you could do this:

Complication: Physical Limitation: Use of powers is aging character, Greatly Impairing, (+10) Frequency: 8- (+5), 11- (+10), 14- (+15), No Roll (+20)

After every game session you make an Aging roll, with modifiers for how often he used his powers this session. If he rolls under the target number, his character gets one point of Aging assigned by you from a pool of the following:

-1 STR, -1 CON, -1 BODY, -1 DEX, -2 STUN, - 5 END, -1 to PER Rolls with (Hearing or Sight)

You can of course add more if you want (the more stats you can draw points from, the longer the character will be viable, the fewer stats, the sooner he will become too frail to continue.)

Echoing psyber624, the big question is the in-game impact it will have. Some years back, a character was noted as "Aging at twice the normal rate". This was a Psychological Complication. Why? Because, like in the source material, time wasn't passing such that the heroes aged materially, but it drove the character to seek out ways to halt this accelerated aging. The only impact it had was on character behaviour and decisionmaking, so psychological.

Well, since this is supposed to be a one-shot introduction to the game, it's ok if he has an expiration date. He almost seemed excited to have a character who is going to be getting weaker with every use of his power, so I want to make sure he actually feels the effect. In fact, when I suggested No Normal Healing for the transform damage, he didn't seem interested in coming up with a healing method at all! He is less familiar with the rules, so when I asked "In game terms, what does the aging do; reduce strength, speed, dexterity?" he said "how about everything?" I like the idea of the partial transform, or just setting the rules aside and reducing a characteristic by 1 every encounter or so (since there will probably only be 3 sessions at most).

Thanks for all the input!

Edit: just saw your edit, and I really like that suggestion as well! Especially because now it's modeled as a complication, and won't require as much book keeping or die rolling! Thanks again!

Echoing psyber624' date=' the big question is the in-game impact it will have. Some years back, a character was noted as "Aging at twice the normal rate". This was a Psychological Complication. Why? Because, like in the source material, time wasn't passing such that the heroes aged materially, but it drove the character to seek out ways to halt this accelerated aging. The only impact it had was on character behaviour and decisionmaking, so psychological.[/quote']

Agree for aging at twice the normal rate. What games last multiple years and this power effect have any effect?

In this case the player wants to see a big effect for using his powers in a short time frame.

In this case an "aging effect" for each use of his powers.

To be honest I am not sure how I would do it for a campaign.

For a short few session game? Obviously you could keep it as a psychological and have no actual effect on the character but this does not sound like what the player wants.

Or how about a -1/4 power limitation on all powers with half the proportional amount lost in relevant physical charactertistics when the power is used (or some reasonable amount so that they can seriously effect the character after a few uses of a power).

Or the power loses active points so after a few uses it becomes useless?

The character will be more powerful and have more points to spend but loses this advantage as the game progresses.

Good luck with what you decide with anyway :)

Hello hero community! First off, I am new to the game, but very excited to try running a short story arc to get my group interested. Since I am new here, I apologize in advance for any unintended breaches of protocol!

Here's my question: I have a player who wants a character who is slowly being aged through the use of his powers (since this is more or less a one-shot, I am fine with this). I was thinking we'd do this as a Side Effect limitation to his powers. I was thinking a Transform, since it needs to be cumulative. Does anyone have a suggestion for a simpler way to achieve this effect? Maybe something that's not in the 6e character creation book?

Thanks a lot!

Well, since this is supposed to be a one-shot introduction to the game, it's ok if he has an expiration date. He almost seemed excited to have a character who is going to be getting weaker with every use of his power, so I want to make sure he actually feels the effect. In fact, when I suggested No Normal Healing for the transform damage, he didn't seem interested in coming up with a healing method at all! He is less familiar with the rules, so when I asked "In game terms, what does the aging do; reduce strength, speed, dexterity?" he said "how about everything?" I like the idea of the partial transform, or just setting the rules aside and reducing a characteristic by 1 every encounter or so (since there will probably only be 3 sessions at most).

Thanks for all the input!

Edit: just saw your edit, and I really like that suggestion as well! Especially because now it's modeled as a complication, and won't require as much book keeping or die rolling! Thanks again!

That would require it to be really fast.

My 5E Character Creation Handbook has a "Age" Complicaiton. In basis those modifiy the point for Normal Characteristics maxima Downwards.

There are three ag categories:

Normal (normal NCM limits), Age 40+, Age 60+ (and age 10-)

STR, CON, BODY go down 5 per catergory

PD, ED and REC go down by 2 per catergory

END & STUN down by 10 per category

INT, EGO, PRE go up 5 per category (you can cut that out, after all this comes from "experience" rather than natural processes).

DEX, COM, SPD stay the same.

Honestly I'd just do it as a straight drain to END or STR as a side effect and call it 'rapid aging' as a special effect. Sure it only lasts a couple of turns at most, but it FEELS like you are getting old and creaky:

You cast your spell and feel the vitality sucked from the marrow of your bones. You stagger, unable to hold yourself upright and the breath wheezes in your lungs. The weakness passes, but you still feel as if you have lost something permanently, and you notice the skin of your hands seems dry and, as you flex it into a fist, your joints send out a twinge of pain...

Couple that with a Complication (Physical) that use of powers increases aging rate and that a LOT of power use makes you LOOK older (5 points max) and you are golden.

You have some immediate effect and a mechanical system for implementing it. It FEELS like the character is aging, but it is not going to mess up the whole game - and you are never likely to actually be playing for enough game time to have the character's age be a real issue, even if they DO go from 20 to 40 in 10 years rather than 20.

Hello hero community! First off' date=' I am new to the game, but very excited to try running a short story arc to get my group interested. Since I am new here, I apologize in advance for any unintended breaches of protocol! ......[/quote']

Oh, and welcome to the boards! Don't worry about unintended breaches of protocol here - there are enough intended ones that no one is ever going to notice :)

We're a really friendly bunch (at least until we know each other well :D) and you'll wind up getting more help than you can handle.

Hero is a fantastic game, but sometimes it is useful to get a few pointers, so post anything you've got, and never ever worry that something is too basic or simple - we'll debate anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and welcome to the boards! Don't worry about unintended breaches of protocol here - there are enough intended ones that no one is ever going to notice :)

We're a really friendly bunch (at least until we know each other well :D) and you'll wind up getting more help than you can handle.

Hero is a fantastic game, but sometimes it is useful to get a few pointers, so post anything you've got, and never ever worry that something is too basic or simple - we'll debate anything.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll definitely be back with more questions! In the mean time, I'm leaning heavily towards a physical complication possibly combined with drain for this aging thing. Just need to find the time to play now!!! :)

I would think a side effect to the powers would work and then have the effect be that his stats lower. If you wanted to be creative you could make a table with all the stats on it and then roll each time he uses an ability like psyber624 said. For example:

on a d6

1. -1 STR

2. -1 CON

3. -2 Stun

4. -2 END

5. -1 PD

6. -1 ED

or some such.

It also just occurred to me, do you plan letting him buy back some of those stats using points? For instance, if he's lost a lot of STR, would it be feasible to have him do a regular strength training regimen to build it back up? You might also need to figure out how this is going to play out in the long run (assuming you're even going for the long-run). I know you said that the character was going to be disposable as a one-shot intro character, but I know the players in my group wouldn't like having to spend their hard-earned EXP re-buying stat points they lost when the rest of the group is getting stronger.

Well, if this was a long term character, there is always the fact that he BOUGHT his character like this in the first place. I would be sure to explain to the player what the potential effects were going to look like, and warn him of the consequences, but just like any other limitation/complication, if you buy it when you build your character, you should EXPECT (if not actually WANT) to have to deal with it from time to time.

I remember years ago when I played Champions in college. Someone had his OAF sword stolen from him. He bitched at the GM about loosing his powers when no one else did... the GM told him "You were the one who bought the sword OAF. What did you THINK was going to happen?" and then kept the sword gone even longer......

I remember years ago when I played Champions in college. Someone had his OAF sword stolen from him. He bitched at the GM about loosing his powers when no one else did... the GM told him "You were the one who bought the sword OAF. What did you THINK was going to happen?" and then kept the sword gone even longer......

Yeah, one of my players had this problem when someone stole his mage's staff in a fight. He took it in stride though and just kind of laughed about it. Besides, two phases later the culprit was eating dirt and the staff was back in hand so no feelings were hurt.

Ratman vs Emerald Archer (20 [points' Honorable):

Ratman "Tell you what - you don't use your bow and I won't use my tail"

Several phases ensure where EA uses only his martial arts. Suddenly, Ratman lashes out with his tail, and Stuns EA with a good hit.

EA: "I thought you said you wouldn't use your tail"

Ratman: "I'm the bad guy. We get to lie and cheat."

Grabs bow with tail and tosses it away.

Generally side effects are not permanent. You could build this as a Side Effect though:

Drain STR 1 point, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Century; +4) (15 Active Points)

TECHNICALLY not permanent - but it CAN be healed and/or you could buy more of the reduced characteristic (then, a century later, your STR keeps on doubling if you stop using the power for long enough :))

The trouble with aging is that it really is too slow to have any real game effects in most campaigns, and if you up the aging rate so that it does have an effect, the character is going to be useless pretty quickly.