THE MONSTER HUNTER INTERNAIONAL EMPLOYEES' HANDBOOK & RPG Is Now Live!

Steve Long

Re: THE MONSTER HUNTER INTERNAIONAL EMPLOYEES' HANDBOOK & RPG Is Now Live!

Victory! We passed the $45,000 mark earlier this morning.

Now we enter the "even more cool stuff" phase of the project. ;) We've already announced our first stretch goals, so please check 'em out! And we have plenty more beyond that if we continue to get backers. :D

Re: THE MONSTER HUNTER INTERNAIONAL EMPLOYEES' HANDBOOK & RPG Is Now Live!

Any similarity to: http://www.killershrike.com/HereThereBeMonsters/HereThereBeMonsters.aspx

...is purely coincidental?

Heh.

It's all drawing from the same sources; the dark urban fantasy. Here There Be Monsters grew out of my Demon Hunter: FBI stuff from back in the late 90's, which was published in Haymaker back in the day. I think HERO Games technically owns all that material, anyway.

Myself and the group I was gaming with at the time (particularly Tom Rossi) drew on a bunch of different sources for Demon Hunter: FBI, gaming and non-gaming fiction and non-fiction, including Beyond the Supernatural, X-Files, the basic premises of some of the World of Darkness stuff, and I forget what all else...plus the products of our own cracked imaginations of course.

Reading the first MHI book is what inspired me to recall and reminisce about Demon Hunter: FBI and then resuscitate / re-boot / re-envision the material. I wanted to do it collaboratively, as that's become my favored approach to doing gaming settings. Out of that Here There Be Monsters emerged, and I'm pretty proud to have been involved with it as I think its some of the best gaming work I've had a hand in, and the contributions of fine folks like Panpiper resulted in something way better than what I could have done on my own.

MHI was definitely an influence on the re-work, though certainly not the only one. I did deliberately work in bits that would make it possible to run a MHI style game with the material with very little effort if one was so inclined, but kept it distinct and as non-derivative as possible.

So, for the record, I'm a fan of MHI and of Larry C. and though it still seems surreal to me that MHI and HERO Games got together to do a product, I'm stoked about it and hope it lives up to my high expectations for it.

• 3 weeks later...