The Omen?(In the spirit of Halloween)

Dr. MID-Nite

Hello all. I'm trying to write up Damien from the Omen movies. I'm currently working on the version for the first film. Essentially a normal child, but with immunity to disease(mentioned explicitly in the first film). I'm thinking a better than normal EGO and PRE as well. For the "mysterious accidents" that befall anyone who learns his secret...not sure...thinking massive amounts of Luck(what's lucky for him is not so lucky for others concept) maybe, but open to better suggestions. As for the devil dogs and the psycho nanny from hell, I may write them up as followers....or just leave them as plot devices. Any ideas for this Damien...or any of the other two "versions"?(I ignore the abortion known as Omen 4.)

Rob

Telekinesis, no conscious control (for incidents like the glass truck mysteriously shifting into neutral and rolling down a hill, severing the head of his enemy with sheets of glass). He was hell on priests too (pun intended). The spire being struck by lightning and impaling the priest would seem to be luck for damian. He'd have TONS of followers (the psychotic nannies--the one that hangs herself and the one that fights with his father).

And animals didn't like him much (hellhounds withstanding). Either a disadvantage or perhaps even some kind of mind control with the limitation for only affecting an emotion and vesus the "animals" group of minds.

Actually, I think the whole point behind the hanging was for there to be a position open for Mr.s Baylock(psycho nanny) to fill. So I doubt the first nanny was a follower of Damien(in fact it looks as if the devil dog infleunces her somehow into jumping). I could do the follwer thing, but the Damien in the first film doesn't really spend that many points(the point being for him not to show off obvious supernatural abilities according to the filmakers) so buying them would be expensive....though I'm not that concerned about point cost. The TK-No Conscious Control idea would be a thought(but'd it have to work over vast distances-Damien is in England when David Warner's character is beheaded in Jerusalem). I might just have to run with the Luck idea(which fits in with the filmaker's idea that everything that happens being explained away as unfortunate coincidences).

Rob

Originally posted by Dr. MID-Nite

The TK-No Conscious Control idea would be a thought(but'd it have to work over vast distances-Damien is in England when David Warner's character is beheaded in Jerusalem). I might just have to run with the Luck idea(which fits in with the filmaker's idea that everything that happens being explained away as unfortunate coincidences).

Rob

Don't forget Megascale...

beg pardon...

I will admit it has been a few years since i watched the movies, but IIRC Damien was Anything but a normal child....

wasnt he the son of satan?

I would be willing to guess, that he had much much more at his disposal the TK and Life support.

Just my opinion

Re: beg pardon...

Originally posted by Patriot

I will admit it has been a few years since i watched the movies, but IIRC Damien was Anything but a normal child....

wasnt he the son of satan?

I would be willing to guess, that he had much much more at his disposal the TK and Life support.

Just my opinion

Certainly, but its not like he summoned hellfire or made people spontaneously bleed like stigmatics. The major supernatural events of the film:

• Lines appear in developed pictures, drawn through individuals who are going to die.
  • Lightning strikes the spire on the church and that impales a priest.
  • Damien knocks his mom off of a chair while driving his tricycle. Hardly a supernatural occurance!
  • Hell hounds guard the cemetery that holds the secret of his birth.
  • A nanny jumps to her death at his birthday party.
  • A glass truck shifts gears on its own and beheads the reporter who is investigating things.
  • There's a cosmic alignment of stars.
  • The psycho nanny drops Damien's mom to her death from a hospital window.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch, but as you can see, there isn't a lot of overt action by Damian.

That's the whole point of The Omen. There ISN'T anything that says "look at me...I'm the AntiChrist". The horror comes from the mystery of it all. Damien himself does nothing(even the tricycle incident could easily be construed as an accident as Mrs. Baylock basically directed him). Thr real horror comes from the facts that events are spinning out of the main characters' control and there seems to be nothing they can do about it. Plus, the fact that they seem willing to kill the child based on a prophecy with no real truth whatsoever. Peck's character seems driven mad at the end due to the death of his wife....and even then seems reluctant to kill Damien. Again, that's the beauty of the film. Everything can be explained away logically....in the context of the film. The other two film's stray away from this to emphasize his more overt "evilness".(More clearly defined...superpowers.) I think the first film's Damien really is all about the Luck power. Everything just seems to happen to his benefit.

Rob

Blue's analysis is pretty much spot on (although it's years since I saw the film).

In fact, Damien doesn't do a lot of overt supernatural stuff in any of the films. The closest I can recall is when he gives his adoptive cousin an aneurism (or was it a stroke?) in Omen 2.

I'd say it's best written as plot devices, or a big VPP with a special effect of "accidents", so no summoning demons or bolts of hellfire. Luck might be the easiest way to go.

I don't think the first nanny was a follower. More like some kind of super charisma/mind control influenced her to kill herself.

In film 2, Damien causes the death of his brother and has more clearly defined Life Support abilities(such as being immune to poison gas). The fiery holocaust that engulfs the museum seems to at least be partially directed by him. He also demonstrates superhuman intelligence...or at least memory(remember the scene in history class?).

In the third film(starring Sam Neil...the best thing about it), Damien demonstrates a lot more powers(Mind Control and Telekinesis as just two examples) and states the daggers are the only thing that can kill him(which implies full Life Support...among other powers).

Rob

I remember my first V&V campaign that a friend ran for me back in high school ... he used Damien as an adult who was running for mayor of the campaign city and, after discovering his dirty infernal secret, we had to stop him. He was a great "low-tech" villain who became a major menace as the adventure proceeded :)