Trying to Understand 6E

CaptCastle

Re: Trying to Understand 6E

if everyone gets the same "freebies" everything is fine. I would of course tell the players before they create their characters what freebies they are getting. That way they can decide for themselves if its worth buying a similar power or not. If you give them out after character creation you MAY have issues with players who get upset that everyone gets something they paid for (flight rings vs inherent flight for instance). There are plenty of ways to handle that situation (several have been presented here) but if you let them know upfront what they are going to get at the start for free it should prevent any issues.

Personally I wouldn't let players "convert" the freebies into other powers on a point for point basis, but I don't see anything really wrong with that either, just not my way.

The way that i see things is that innate abilities need to be paid for with char points, same with tech that is not avail to the norm person/organ. Norm tech (inc cell/smart phones, watches, conventional fabrics, etc) should be avilable for free. One note about this tech: the tech could be limited a group (govt, business, etc) but it cannot be based on principles that are not known by the general public. A good example is warp theory in the modern world. However since weapons have a direct impact on combat and the welfare of others there do need to be purch with cps. This could inc more than devices and go into skills, talents, and perks as well.

If it was me, I'd rather give them a team vehicle than flight rings. If it's an unarmed vehicle, they'll just use it as a taxi to get from place to place instead of using it in battles, like they will with flight rings.

Radios, I'd just let them have. For a modern campaign, how many people don't have a cellphone anyway? You can keep on trying "no coverage" and "cell phone jammers" but that gets annoying on both sides. Just go with the flow and let them communicate.

Another option for free 'Flight Rings's would be to build them as a Multipower with a combat & non-combat movement slot. Then put Requires a Roll Limitation on the combat slot with a minus to the roll for every 5 or 10 active points used. So yes, the characters get the ability to move between locations to advance the plot for free but still have to invest XP for combat utility movement. (I did something similar with my 6e Green Lantern).

Another relavent post from my JLA thread:

How would you build the Justice League Communication earpiece? I would think that it would be a Mind Link of some sort' date=' but I suck at building Powers. (Please keep in mind that I'm still using the 5E Revised Rules). Thanks and I love this thread! :)[/quote']

Well, if we assume that Batman would only supply his teammates with something he could guarantee couldn't be listened in on by others (using Earth level tech at least) I would build it as follows:

12 Justice League Communicator: Mind Link , Human class of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Any distance, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x8) (40 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), IIF Fragile (Wayne Industries Encrypted Communications Earwig; -1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

If you're not so worried about the guarantee aspect you could go with:

7 Justice League Communicator: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (22 Active Points); Limited Power Only to communicate with other Justice League Communicators (-1), IIF Fragile (Wayne Industries Encrypted Communications Earwig; -1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing (-1/2)

I've never known anyone to be confused by expressing Base Points plus Points for Disads as exactly what it is. I have also seen similar systems in other games, called things like "merits and flaws."

I have known people to be confused by the Sixth edition's practice of obfuscation. In particular, people have come to the forums asking for an explanation of just what "matching complications" are supposed to match.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that it's like trying to do accounting if there's a taboo on ever referencing Owner's Equity

I've had the same experience.

Another method would to issue each PC a Robot/AI that provides them with the Knowledge, Perks, & Powers as a Team.

I will scrounge up my Follower: Sidekick 6E, for my Galactic Champions Campaign. In effect it provided Protection form Violence (Less Powerful) and Environment (or lack there of), Communications, Sensor Suite, & Skills.

Applied Disadvatages/Complications afterwords.

QM

Another method would to issue each PC a Robot/AI that provides them with the Knowledge, Perks, & Powers as a Team.

I will scrounge up my Follower: Sidekick 6E, for my Galactic Champions Campaign. In effect it provided Protection form Violence (Less Powerful) and Environment (or lack there of), Communications, Sensor Suite, & Skills.

Applied Disadvatages/Complications afterwords.

QM

Isn't that pretty much the in story explanation for Brainy creating the Legion Flight Rings?

Equipment

Since Brainiac 5 processes a super intelligent mind, his main method of aiding himself and his fellow Legionnaires has always been through devices he himself invented. His primary role in any version of the Legion has always been that of the scientist. One of his most important inventions is the Legion Flight Ring, which he has either invented or had a significant role in creating over the various versions of the Legion.