Characteristic's Special Effects

livewirerc

Earlier I asked a question concerning using the Variable Effect advantage for Adjustment powers to add points to both powers and characteristics and you said that they can add to "all the Powers and Characteristics deriving from a given special effect". Could you give an example of justifying Characteristics based off of a given special effect? It's easy to tie powers to Flame FX but how would you tie characteristics to Flame FX? Thanks for all your help, btw. :)

Jason Abels

You could probably base ED off of flame SFX pretty easily. You could base STR off of gravity or TK or similar effects. You could base DEX and SPD off of "superpeed" SFX.

Basically, if you have a characteristic as a result of your power, it could fall under the SFX for that power. How far you take that is between you and your GM. I'd find a hard time placing STR or INT under fire SFX for instance, but extra ED, sure (especially if it's vs. fire) or even extra PD. Maybe extra PRE if the character is on fire.

I think there are plenty of instance where the relationship between a Characteristic and a special effect/power set/etc. are fairly obvious -- PG points out some good examples, such as DEX/SPD and being a speedster, or being some types of energy projector and ED.

The difficulty arises in that a lot of characters buy higher-than-human-normal Characteristics whose special effect really boils down to "I'm superhuman." But does that mean they derive from/are related to the character's primary special effect or powers set? Thunderbolt (CKC 112) has 25 STR, for example -- but does that really have any direct connection to Electricity Powers? I think it's more an "I'm superhuman" sort of thing, or at best tenuously related to the Electricity Powers.

The real issue here is the game balance implications. If a character has one set of powers -- Electricity Powers, for instance -- and all of his heightened Characteristics are attributed to that special effect, then even at a +2 level the Variable Effects "all powers of one special effect simultaneously" could significantly unbalance the campaign. That's why we have to allow for things like the GM's discretion. You can't really have hard-and-fast rules for something like this and still preserve the flexibility of the system; you have to rely on the mature and responsible behavior of the player, and the reasonable discretion of the GM, to resolve any difficult situations.

If it helps:

In my games I have created the following guidelines on Supers

Humans: These characters all have the following limitations

Normal Character Maxima

x2 Stun from Blasters (Particle Projection)

x2 Mental Effects

Human Character maxima (HCM) this is calculated by figuring what the NCM is and multiplying by 1.5

These are the only ones who can take the NCM, they also can only have powers from external sourses (Ritual Magic, Technology). Cannot have created Super Tech

Perfects: A Perfect is hampered by the Human Character Maxima. The character can have no powers except from an external source or super skills, can have created Supertech

Okay, up to this point Drains are relitivly meaningless as it pertains to attributes and F/X

Adaptors: These guys have been through a crisis and there bodies have changed to adapt. HCM still applies UNLESS the adaption is one that has changed the limits (For example in the case of a speedster his Dex/Speed and Running may have been upped). These are powers and will be effected by drains

Mentalist/Mutant: All Mutants are mentalists. This is just the catch all for mental powers, note adaptors will not develop mental powers, but may receive powers of a similar nature

The only other sourse for powers in my games is being of Other origin, and that one is to broad to get into

Originally posted by Steve Long

I think there are plenty of instance where the relationship between a Characteristic and a special effect/power set/etc. are fairly obvious -- PG points out some good examples, such as DEX/SPD and being a speedster, or being some types of energy projector and ED.

The difficulty arises in that a lot of characters buy higher-than-human-normal Characteristics whose special effect really boils down to "I'm superhuman." But does that mean they derive from/are related to the character's primary special effect or powers set? Thunderbolt (CKC 112) has 25 STR, for example -- but does that really have any direct connection to Electricity Powers? I think it's more an "I'm superhuman" sort of thing, or at best tenuously related to the Electricity Powers.

The real issue here is the game balance implications. If a character has one set of powers -- Electricity Powers, for instance -- and all of his heightened Characteristics are attributed to that special effect, then even at a +2 level the Variable Effects "all powers of one special effect simultaneously" could significantly unbalance the campaign. That's why we have to allow for things like the GM's discretion. You can't really have hard-and-fast rules for something like this and still preserve the flexibility of the system; you have to rely on the mature and responsible behavior of the player, and the reasonable discretion of the GM, to resolve any difficult situations.

Let's see...the nerve signals that trigger muscle contraction are electrical in nature...

;)

Really, there are tons of potential special effect justifications for characteristics. A speedster's heightened SPD and DEX can be regarded as part of his or her "superspeed powers". The same stats for a mutant or chemically-enhanced super could reflect "mutant powers" or "miraclo-pill powers." Many energy-projectors will have high ED, attributed to their bodies being energized. Bionic/cybernetic enhancements could be an explanation for high BODY, STR, CON, PD and several other characteristics, such that all could be termed "cyborg powers." Heck, a guy who gets lots of heightened characteristics Hero ID Only and who takes hero form by yelling out "Kazowie" might term them all "magic powers," whereas the avatar of a deity might have heightened characteristics might classify these as "divine manifestation powers" or simply "god powers."

extended...

You can also apply certain rationales to the non-physical characteristics.

For instance -- a "multi-mind" (a "vessel" character that houses more than one mind/spirit/soul/whatever) could have a higher INT and EGO -- more points of view, more minds to help resist mental effects. The same boost could also be explained by having a cybernetic brain (or a partial one) faster processing of info, a "not quite human" mind that would be more difficult to control than a natural brain...

A god-like character could be gifted with divine PRE and COM, etc.

It kind of boils down to the character concept as to what you can reasonably include.

Yes, it really depends.

For example: The Cateran (as I look to the side and see her in all her lovely kilted glory... sorry, will stop drooling now) could be seen as having 'Advanced Physiology Powers", as they seem to be basically superstrength, life support and regeneration. If you could drain 'Biological Powers', your drain would work fine... but it wouldn't stop her claymore (and I'd suggest moving soon, unless you had 'ranged' on your drain, because it'll STILL hurt even if you drop her STR from 50 to 25 with a drain....)

One of my characters, Steel Thunder, is descended from one of The Blood (from the Aaron Allston book). From that part of her nature comes her regeneration, her ability to sense other Blood, and what she thinks are her ch'i powers. Her training, however, gives her the main powers - martial arts skills, Leaping of insane levels, most of her DEX and SPD. In what turned out to be literally a running fight between her and someone using captured GENOCIDE trooper armor (GENOCIDE having, in the campaign, been smashed and their stuff taken into custody) with the mutant-power-drainer. It took away her ch'i powers, lowered her DEX a little, and removed her ability to sense Blood, but when she got to a good place to turn around, she still was nasty enough to take out the armor with her martial arts. This is an actual occurance of 'all powers of a specific special effect' in use, which is why I share it.