Turakian Age PDF Now Available

Lord Liaden

Since many people have asked for it over the years, and I just recently discovered this: Hero Games's official high fantasy setting book, The Turakian Age, is finally in PDF form from the company's Online Store. Over 300 pages of background and history, roleplaying info, maps, character templates, world-specific spells and magic items, plot and campaign seeds, and more. Because the game stats (which are only a fraction of this book) are in Fifth Edition HERO System, the PDF is being offered for a mere $11.00 US.

Here is where you can order it, and read more about it.

TA is also still in the store in hardcopy ($13.50), and there's also a Hero Designer character pack for it ($4.00).

Hardcopy

Character pack

You forgot to mention the price, but it's almost certainly not too much for me to want it. In fact if it's low enough I'll reward Hero Games by buying a second hard copy as well.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says it can't afford anything that costs an arm and a leg.

Er... it's been available for years. I bought my PDF in September 2011, and I'm sure it was available before then.
That's really interesting. I notice that the Online Store listing says it was released in 2008, but I've been over the store offerings for years and never saw that one. Don't remember it being announced either.

Maybe you have to pull up the right filter to see it. The store has a few quirks like that. In any case, I know a lot of people like me who thought there wasn't a TA PDF, so it's worth mentioning it's there.

Got the PDF. Haven't read it through yet.

I'll probably sandbox a bit with it if I decide to run a game there. The chapter on society, especially marriage and the role of women, are authentically medieval but really hamper potential female player-characters. Although being trapped in a bad arranged betrothal is a pretty good reason for a young noblewoman to take up her sword and run far, far away.

Got the PDF. Haven't read it through yet.

I'll probably sandbox a bit with it if I decide to run a game there. The chapter on society, especially marriage and the role of women, are authentically medieval but really hamper potential female player-characters. Although being trapped in a bad arranged betrothal is a pretty good reason for a young noblewoman to take up her sword and run far, far away.

It seems to me that opportunities for female player-characters are much more prevalent in the TA world of Ambrethel than in the real world of the medieval era. Certainly there are large nations and regions where females are totally subservient to males (mostly, although not exclusively, among "bad guy" realms). However, over much of Ambrethel women face few restrictions on career choices or chances to advance themselves; and in some nationalities the genders have full legal equality.

TA mentions quite a few notable female warriors, magicians, priestesses, and rulers, even some from societies which normally discriminate strongly against women. As the book notes, social strictures often loosen for people with power.