How much magic?

phydaux

I've got a question for all you Fantasy Hero GMs out there:

I'm gonna run a campaign, and I have a point level in mind. And I'm going to run magic as a Multipower, with spells bought as uSlots in the Multipower.

So my question is what is your campaign point total, and what size magic pool do you allow?

What I do is look at the max DC for any 'normal weapon' + increases in DC based on added combat skill levels (assuming you have a max number CSL), + increases in DC based on strength and convert that to active points. Then that becomes the maximum active points for any spell in my campaign.

So lets just say the best weapon in your campaign can do 2d6HKA, you have decided that the maximum number of CSL is +4, and the weapon has a strength minimum of 13. The max strength for most fighters is also maxed at 20. So that means that 2d6HKA could get +3 DC, 3d6HKA (if I did my math right). And that translates to 45 active points and I would just decide that the max active points for any magic would be 45 active points.

.Note that you CAN elect to restrict all the spell slots to 45 pts, but permit a Multipower Reserve of, say, 90. This would permit a mage to have two spells active at the same time at full power, or even more active at once but not at full power.

I'm also not a big fan of judging solely by Active Points. Consider this.

You're probably expecting that the kind of Multipower you have in mind could be used for spells like this:

Phydaux's Phyrebolt: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (45 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll to activate powers (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost as a variable slot in a Multipower, 3)

But within the same Active Point limit, I can have this:

Phydaux's Phreedom Phrum Phyzical Phorz: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Force Field (20 PD) (Protect Carried Items), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Hardened (+1/4) (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll to activate powers (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 20)

With 20 fully resistant PD, I can be practically immune to BOD damage from weapons.

Or this:

Phydaux's Phreedom Phrum Phyry Phorzes: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 45 Real Cost) Force Field (20 ED) (Protect Carried Items), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Hardened (+1/4) (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll to activate powers (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 20)

and be just as resistant to energy attacks.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises

Serious LOL @ those spell names.

I'm totally OK with any of my players using any of those spells. PROVIDED that's all the mage can do. What I don't want is a mage with a 90 pip reserve slinging Phydaux's Phyrebolt and something like:

Phydaux's EPHORTLESS Phreedom Phrum Phyzical Phorz: (Total: 45 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Force Field (15 PD) (Protect Carried Items), ) END cost (+1/2), Requires A Skill Roll to activate powers (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 20)

That, plus his natural PD & ED, will make him even MORE resistant to physical attacks than the toughest heavy fighter, and he'll be slinging a ranged attack that will one-shot most monsters.

Actually, one reflection I'm fairly OK with it. I mean, a fighter with a greatsword, plate armor and Deadly Blow could buy:

Wing of Pwoetekshun - 7PD/7ED FF, 0 END, OIF Ring Active Points 45, real cost 28.

That's a big chunk of points for a 175 point character, but I wouldn't disallow it. So I guess I should allow mages to have 90 point reserves.

See my other post in response to your question.

The short version here is that I have allowed spell multipowers (with quite large reserves - over 90 points in my last campaign) without problem.

On eimportant factor is not allowing players to build their own spells, because otherwise you will - guaranteed - get exactly what you described: a mage with better protection than the heavy fighter (and that's even if he doesn't use plate armour himself: nothing directly prevents him doing so, unless you as GM put some ground rules in place) who can also one-shot monsters. You haven't even plumbed the depths of despair yet.

Think about that same mage, with Plate armour, a greatsword and both a force field AND a strength-boosting spell. Not only can he one-shot monsters that the big guy would have a hard time hurting, he can kick sand in fighter-guy's face at the same time. Basically, it's bad enough that mages get a wide range of powers that (in a fantasy game) are only available to them, but they can really rock the game when they also take the same toys the other guys get and then enhance them with magic.

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I usually allow 45-60 Active points to start. Allow this to increase as the characters gain experience.

Keep in mind that the maximum Pool size is not the same as the maximum Active Point limit. You can have mages with very high Pool points that still adhere to Active Point caps, which simply denote very experienced Magi with the ability to multi-task very, very well.

If you want to limit Magic Users from wearing too much armor, simply apply the Encumbrance rules to the Magic Skill roll, in addition to the Active Point penalty! Thus a magic user who is wearing plate armor and is encumbered with a penalty of -4 to DCV and Dex rolls, also takes a -4 to his Magic Skill roll because of a combination of the inability to move precisely enough to properly gesture to control the magic energy, the armor is blocking the mages chakras, making it difficult for him to properly draw in the ambient magical energy to power the spell and the distraction from the armor binding, chaffing and causing the mage to sweat. So a mage casing a 40 Active Point Power Bolt spell (8D6N damage blast) is at -8 to cast that sucker. Hope he has a really good Magic Skill Roll!