Watchmojo.com: Top 10 Iconic Champions RPG/Champions Online Vilians.

steriaca

Iconic, hmm... well, let's start with defining what we mean by "iconic."

Google is super helpful for definitions! Let's try that:

i·con·ic
īˈkänik/
adjective
adjective: iconic
of, relating to, or of the nature of an icon.
"language is not in general an iconic sign system"

Great! Now that we have a crystal clear definition, we can proceed!

When I think about the Champions Universe, the villains (leaving off teams* or villains that are parts of teams) that spring to mind are:

1. Dr. Destroyer. He's got more cover shots than Cindy Crawford, of course he's at the top of the list. He may be a pastiche, but he's our pastiche.

2. Foxbat. He's got the zany side of things all wrapped up in a big wad of super bubble chewing gum or something. He's the resident, mostly harmless, loon.

3. Ogre. The basic Brick. (Well, there was Brick, in an older edition, but he disappeared, and I think he was a hero anyway...). He's another pastiche, the childlike, "leave me alone" Hulk that's so easily manipulated by other villains. I love this guy. I even bought him ice cream one time!

4. Mechanon. Sure,the serial numbers might be showing under his latest armor plating. Files can only do so much, those things are engraved pretty deep you know. Another cover girl for the game, and a classic.

5. Grond.  A slightly smarter Hulk with Abomination ears.... OK, but he has FOUR ARMS! He's cooler than this guy. He's been a heavy-hitter mainstay for years. Getting into serious brickage here.

OK, I'm having trouble coming up with five more. Here's a short list of honorable mentions: Cheshire, Green Dragon, Icicle, Armadillo, Black Paladin, Dark Seraph, Firewing, Bulldozer, Leech, Mechassassin, Earthworm Jim The Slug, Oculon, Ripper. These guys all have a certain old school Champions vibe to them that I like.  Ogre might belong here, too, but I have a soft spot for Ogre.

*The teams have some great stuff. Let's do those too!

That is indeed Mech from the cover (and interior) of BOTM. Cryptic artists designed his new look, which is therefore now his official one.

Still not even a suggestion from the CO devs that Mechanon will be appearing any time soon. :(

And to me, Mechanon is the #1 iconic Champions villain. He's been in the core book for every edition of Champions since First, and was the setting's first mega-villain.

And to me, Mechanon is the #1 iconic Champions villain. He's been in the core book for every edition of Champions since First, and was the setting's first mega-villain.

Agree. But, like all megavillains, he's difficult to use in a way that does justice to him.

His plots need to be epic, but capable of being thwarted by the PCs. He needs to be balanced "just right" against them, and be neither a pushover (in combat), nor an insanely invulnerable pile of points. Or rather, in the latter case, there needs to be a way to take him out that the PCs can reasonably manage.