A Sentient Illusion

Steve

I had an idea for a creature/spirit that was a sentient illusion. It could not be seen or touched by anyone unless it had succeeded in a mental illusions attack. That basic attack would be Affects Normal World or maybe just Extradimensional.

Once it had done so, other mental-based abilities could then affect the target without needing those advantages. The initial illusion attack somehow made the sentient illusion real enough to the target.

This would probably be something more for Fantasy Hero or Horror Hero.

What sort of abilities might a sentient illusion have?

I think the origin or creator of the illusion is the key.  The Moriarty ST:TNG episodes where Data played Holmes in the Holodeck is what came to mind when I read the title of this thread.  Moriarty became sentient when Data asked the ship's computer for an adversary that would be challenging to HIM (not just Holmes). 

I think the origin or creator of the illusion is the key.  The Moriarty ST:TNG episodes where Data played Holmes in the Holodeck is what came to mind when I read the title of this thread.  Moriarty became sentient when Data asked the ship's computer for an adversary that would be challenging to HIM (not just Holmes). 

Actually it was Geordy who made this particular mistake. Dr. Polasky edged him on to do that.

Regarding the OP:

What can the "sentient illusion" do or not that that is not covered by Desolidifcation?

Once that initial attack has succeeded, is the illusion in turn fully attackable by it's target?

What about other characters? Are there any special effects that could affect the "sentient illusion" at any time?

My original idea was something more horrific than anything else, sort of a variant on a ghost, maybe with elements of the old "Phantasmal Killer" D&D spell. It would function much like a haunting, I suppose, only it is a spell instead of a ghost.

The illusion is self-aware, sadistic and murderous, enjoying a cat-and-mouse game with its prey. But it can't do anything unless the character notices it. It could be the basis of urban legends like the Slender Man.

The Mental Illusion would start subtly, since it would have few dice but they would be cumulative. It is an image in mirrors at first or shadows that move. As the Mental Illusion strengthens, it could do more to the victim. Most of it would be in the victim's mind, but maybe some TK effects could start happening as the points in Mental Illusion accumulate.

Mental Illusions can deal real damage if they roll high enough on the dice.  I think it's easier to do the illusion as just a power rather than as an entity.  It just gives the appearance of an entity.

Off the top of my head (and not bothering to check the rules to make sure I have the lims exactly right)

2D6 Mental Illusion

zero end (+1/2)

continuous (+1)

cumulative: 4 levels - 192 point (+1 1/2)

gradual effect: 20 minutes (-1)

Real cost: 20

The 2D6 illusion hits every 20 minutes.  The effects build.  At first, there's not enough for the victim to even see it.  Eventually the Mental Illusion will have enough points so that the victim can't help but see it.  Eventually the points become high enough that the victim takes real damage from the illusion.

I'd say the illusion is still mostly doing what the caster wants.  It's not like the illusion is suddenly going to change into a big fluffy bunny, or a dozen Kate Uptons rolling around in oil.  It's still basically a scary monster thing that will try to kill the target.  Not sure that's worth a limitation.