counter spell

steph

Hello everyone

Just wanna know if anyone here got a kind of houserules for countering spells. My friends suggest to me to authorize dispel with abort situation. ( A mage cast a spell and another mage abort to dispel the spell) But i am not sure if is it legal.

any suggestions

excuse my english

Steph

In my last game we had two types of magic. Incantations and Rituals, incantations could be dispelled as an abort action using a contested skill roll. Ritual can be disrupted as an abort as well, however it required the character to actually have dispel power to abort to.

Likewise dispelling requires a contested skill that is appropriate, ie. dispelling fire incantations requires a contested fire skill (perhaps water). However their was an meta collage called Arcane manipulation and all ritual magic used the same skill regardless of the domain.

Skill in a domain could compliment skill in a ritual normally, but not for an abort.

I'm including both Counter Spelling and Dispelling in the campaign I'm getting off the ground.  Here's my ground rules:

Magic is a multipower.  Buy your reserve with the following limitations:

1-handed Gestures to activate (-1/4)

Incantations to activate (-1/4)

Sorcery skill roll to activate (-1/4)

All slots X2 END (-1/2)

So, for example, a 45 active point magic multipower will cost 20 character points (45/2.25=20).

The Sorcery skill (INT, 3/2) is your ability to understand magic and cast magic spells.  It will also be possible for characters to use Sorcery in a skill vs skill test, modified by range, to Counter Spell the Sorcery of others as they attempt to cast spells.  Counter Spelling is a half phase action, and counts as an attack action.

Also, characters with Sorcery will be able to make a Sorcery skill roll, modified by range, to Dispel non-persistent spell effects.  Dispelling is a full phase action.

Characters will be able to purchase penalty skill levels to offset range penalties in counter spelling & dispelling (3 points per level), as well as to resist counter spell attempts (3 points per level) and resist dispel attempts (3 points per level).

Phydaux: Interesting. Your sorcery roll i affect by the AC of the spells like  -1 for 10 AC ? And the sorcery roll to counter a spell is affect by the AC of the spell ? EX:  i have a sorcery roll of 14 and i try to counter a 30 AC spell. My roll is 11

Hope i am clear

Steph

You are clear.  But no, the skill roll is not modified by not active points.  It's skill vs skill, modified by range.

A successful Sorcery skill roll is required to cast a spell.  Merlin has a Sorcery skill of 13 and attempts to cast Ego Blast.  

Morgana is 20 hexes away and has a Sorcery skill of 13.  Morgana attempts to counter spell Merlin's spell.

20 hexes is a -2 range penalty (I THINK :(  ).  Morgana needs 11 or less to counter spell Merlin.  Morgana rolls a 10, succeeding by 1. Merlin is at a -1 to cast his spell.

Merlin now needs a 12 or less to overcome the counter spell attempt and successfully cast his spell.  

Characters can buy skill levels to help resist counter spell attempts.  I have a campaign restriction that prevents characters from easily getting very high Sorcery skills.

Another way to do it would be to use Change Environment which sets up an anti-magic field and provides a penalty to cast spells while within, or through the area of effect.

That method could be quite effective if sorcery skill rolls are kept reasonable or active point penalties are observed. (Imagine having a -6 AP penalty from casting a 12d6 fireball spell then having another -5 on top of that for -11 to your skill roll. even a master mag with a sorcey skill of 18 would be hard pressed to succeed under those circumstances!)