Campaign 2.0

Alibear

So... bear with me this might sound dumb but here goes.

I have recently had a chance to play (DnD Tiamat cmapaign) instead of GM and it seems to have cleared what was left of my mind. I've been thinking back and forth what to Gm when my rotation kicks back in and by Jove I think I've got it.

The pitch.

I want to restart my Champs campaign from the beginning as I have new players we all start from scratch.

I want to reuse some cool ideas from the Champions campaign world and my own creations... for 3 players it'll be fresh and new. For two it'll be downright weird.

I want to use that as the basis for a temporal readjustment campaign starring Captain Chronos.

So I need to make it different from last time so have decided to tone down the 4 colour stuff and ramp up the realism (ahem supers game dude)

So out go blasters and hover tanks (unless you pay points for 'em that is) and in come real world weapons and Humvees.

I can still have viper n such, they'll just be toting Ak47s n RPGs (ouch) 

I'm assuming that everything which doesn't have the real weapon limitation is paid for by points.

So what can stay in a semi realistic world and what is 4 colour and is out?

I want Ankylosaur to mail himself his armour.

I want Firewing to challenge all comers.

I want to have the Players who have experienced all this before to feel really weird.

I think I need early on to establish that there is something going on and it's not 'just' lazy GMing. I think I need a PC to attend a seminar on temporal flux or some-such so the get the idea.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Al

Try re-casting important NPCs from the first run in different roles: The guy your players know as Commissioner Jordan took a bullet in the leg as a rookie cop and retired from the force, now he's a city councilman who's pushing for a crackdown on vigilantes.  The newspaper reporter one of your old PCs dated made the jump to television and is the city's leading news anchor.  That sort of thing. 

Are you looking for an event/incident which has changed the timeline, and has to be corrected? Or a meddling entity who has to be opposed? Or something else?

I dunno what I'm looking for to be honest...and I don't even know if I want the game to have some kind of climax where they can restore the game to a 4 colour setting. I suppose at some point the players have to work out that time has changed but maybe they won't be able to do anything about it... might re-read Wings of the Valkryie for ideas.

I will recast some characters that the players who are still here know though, Haerandir.

I think I just want an excuse to rehash old plot-lines for new players :D

I dunno what I'm looking for to be honest...and I don't even know if I want the game to have some kind of climax where they can restore the game to a 4 colour setting. I suppose at some point the players have to work out that time has changed but maybe they won't be able to do anything about it... might re-read Wings of the Valkryie for ideas.

I will recast some characters that the players who are still here know though, Haerandir.

I think I just want an excuse to rehash old plot-lines for new players :D

Okay. I'll just throw out a few things I have in mind for "the bigger thing going on." These are based on characters and concepts already in the CU, but could be adapted to other backgrounds.

1) Professor Paradigm (CV 1): PP believes that there is something fundamentally "wrong" with reality, and wants to uncover the truth of what it's supposed to be like. His experiments could have resulted in any alteration of the campaign setting you'd like to play with. Encounters with him and his Paradigm Pirates can run from the comical to the epic.

1) It strikes me that a more "realistic" level of technology would degrade the Earth's ability to withstand an invasion compared to more four-color tech. A time-traveling conqueror could have made changes to the timeline to retard the invention or spread of technology. The top CU candidates would be Istvatha V'han and Korrex, both of whom have designs on our universe/era.

3) The Examiner (Champions Beyond) is a cosmic entity fascinated by beings of power and why they choose to do what they do. He puts them through physical, mental, and/or ethical trials to test their responses. He definitely has the capacity to alter reality on a global scale.

Just thinking out loud.

Some entity discovered that 'history/reality' as a four color world was not the real history.  Probably through 'relics' scattered throughout the four color 'world'.

And then managed to 'reset' history to it's 'proper' timeline.  Complete with guns, bombs, tanks, etc.

But some folks (the PC's ?, or a group that contacts them ?) find 'relics' of the four color world and that the 'real world' wasn't always the real world.

And investigate.  To discover that the 'real world' timeline is DOOMED.  And the original 'shift' to a four color timeline was an attempt to prevent that doom.

So, it is now up to them to either try to avert a disaster (that might not be avoidable), or to try and recreate the shift, again

That gives them some ability to choose just what world the PC's really want to live in.  A 'real one' that is doomed.  Or one that isn't real, but may survive...

(of course, the doom may be a looonnnggg way off...)

You know, that reminds me of one of the key elements from DEMON: Servants Of Darkness. Luther Black used the Basilisk Orb to search out all the possible futures for one in which he would achieve his apotheosis, and attempted a spell to lock that future into inevitability. He didn't succeed in that, but was left with a road-map of events which would culminate in his goal if he could make all the foretold events come to pass.