Alternate to the half die.

Ninja-Bear

Hello good folks,

Inspiration hit me the other day about the dreaded half die. I was thinking of changing the 1/2 in strength damage to 1D6-1 since in theroy they are the same. Hopefully it woild be a little easier the compute on the fly and I think the side effect woild be that in Heroic games the temptation to go higher in strength to avoid the half damage would go away.

Any thoughts?

Yeah.  I think I want to buy all my damage at 3 points for 1d6-1, instead of 5 points for 1d6.  That should be OK if 1d6-1 is a fair replacement for 1/2d6, right?

3d6 averages 10.5 damage, and 5d6-5 averages 13 1/3 (if you have a minimum of 1) or 12.5 (if you let a 1 roll be zero, also easier to do on the fly).  Doing 19% or 27% more average damage sounds like a pretty good deal from where I sit.  By contrast, 5x 1/2d6 would average 10 damage.

That half die costs 60% of a full d6, and averages 57% or so of a full d6 roll, so it’s as close as we’re gonna get mathematically.

If the issue is fiddliness /ease on the fly, why not remove the half die in favour of a straight +2?  That’s the same average damage, and no extra roll or adjustments for the half die required.

I’ve toyed in the past with 16d-1 for STR 4 points above the breakpoint (which, with the 1 minimum, is pretty close to the 2.8 mathematically correct average damage), maybe 1/2d6 – 1 or 1/3 d6 for +2 (should average 1.4; that gets 1 /3 if we min at 1, or 1.5) and maybe 50% or 2/3 chance of +1 (s/b 0.7) at 1 point over.  Even more fiddly, of course, but when we started 1e, you didn’t have half dice either – it was added as more granularity for more fiddliness.

The half die is pretty easy to deal with if you roll a d3 like I have. It is a d6 numbered 1-3 twice, and I have colored both 3s and one of the 2s red (leaving the other numbers white). The face value is the STUN, and it contributes +1 BODY only if the number rolled is red.

The half die is pretty easy to deal with if you roll a d3 like I have. It is a d6 numbered 1-3 twice, and I have colored both 3s and one of the 2s red (leaving the other numbers white). The face value is the STUN, and it contributes +1 BODY only if the number rolled is red.

Any idea where to get a D3? I have looked.