What have you used Hero for?

Chris Goodwin

Re: What have you used Hero for?

Latecomer to the thread :angel:

Supers - GM'ed on and off for many years (circa 1983)

Fantasy - GM'ed sporadically since the original Fantasy Hero made it to the UK (1984/85)

Cthulhu - GM'ed continuous 1920' and 1930's era campaigning since 1985 (conversions using Justice Inc and Champions hybridisation before 4th ed arrived)

Cyberpunk - GM'ed SF convention one-shots demonstrating general RPGing and HERO in particular

BattleTech/Mech - played in a rather wobbly, very forgettable conversion mini-campaign

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will ignore anything having to do with normative superhero (comic book) games (be they cinematic or gritty):

• Hard Boiled Hero (Sam Spade, Phillip Marlowe, etc)
  • Victorian Detective Hero W/Fantastic Elements (supernatural, etc).
  • Harn Hero (aka Peasant Scum Hero)
  • Hard Science Fiction Hero (with some pulpy elements for good measure)
  • Modern Ninja Hero (No One But Ninja Can Kill Ninja!)
  • Sengoku Hero (aka Angry Samurai Hero)

• 8 years later...

Er' date=' ender42, you do realize that the message you quoted is over 8 years old? Luckily it looks like Silverbullet was last active around the middle of August of this year. Maybe luck will be with you and he gets to see your post.[/quote']

Appropriate that he asked about zombies, then, no?

cheers, Mark

Meh, I do know shit is old. But I really enjoyed the thread, yeah?

Sadly, everything I've done has already been covered by other people in this thread (although I would like to hear how people handled the Toon conversion). Nothing super-special going on here. But I do like reading about other people's stuff.

Have *YOU* run zombies?

I was not intending this to be a negative critique. Just wanted you to be aware of the span of time between when the message was posted and now.

To answer your question, I have not done a Zombie Apocalypse in any of my games. For the few times I used zombies in Fantasy or Pulp, I run a fairly typical D&D style zombie (slow, implacable). For most purposes, I would give them the "standard human" stats and add a the typical suite of Automaton powers (Does Not Bleed, No Hit Locations, Takes No Stun, and Cannot Be Stunned). If somebody wanted to chop a limb off of a zombie, then I would allow it using the Disabling rules and a called shot. I just would not grant any bonus damage except for Head shots.

I've always seen zombies as using brute force without concern for their own welfare, so to simulate that I would buy an extra 2-3 dice of Hand to Hand attack. I would buy a Naked Advantage 0 End for Strength and Movement and then buy their END to 0.

For the slow and steady part, I typically drop their Dex to 5 and Run to 6 (Hero 6E). Swimming and Leaping would be 0 each.

Zombies would be Vulnerable to Head Shots (though I would leave the Complication at 0 points in the spirit of a "reasonably common way" to circumvent the No Hit Location power). They would also be vulnerable to fire, which I would buy as a Complication.

I don't run superheroic level games, but if I were, the only difference I would make is to actually give them a higher HtH attack and the points for the x2 Body Head Shot Vulnerability.

• 3 weeks later...

On this forum I am using it as a board to show off my creation of a mostly female comando team and the guy that leads it and their adventures. I am also into other heros like WonderWoman and Supergirl. For that I play on Second Life. I hope to be showing off more of the Black Eagle teams adventures on here