3rd century Chinese travelog about ROME

gewing

The previous job was for an NPO in Shibuya that works with National Geographic and others to conduct wildlife documentary festivals and such. Alas, they have a rather depressed pay and apparently NPOs are not allowed to do visa sponsorship in Japan, so it would have been impossible to work with them. But I did find a teaching gig up in Saitama (right next to Tokyo prefecture and only about an hour away from Shinjuku). While teaching isn't exactly what I want to do, the pay and hours are good. It may also help lead me into finding other work in Tokyo proper. At the very least it has good hours and pay so I can find plenty of things to do there. 

Again, if you do plan another trip this way, always feel free to shoot me a message. I would be more than glad to help out where I can. That said, though, perhaps we have occupied enough of this thread with what is essentially a PM worthy conversation. Feel free to PM me. 

Enjoy Brussels! 

Foreign Orchid. 

OK - thanks for the replies!

And just to swerve back on-thread again, this is how travel has always been :) We know from surviving texts that Roman travellers also corresponded with friends/relatives/service or company colleagues/etc. in distant locations and wrote things like "I will be spending some time in Alexandria in Augustus, winds and Gods willing, and had hoped to meet ...." and so on.

cheers, Mark

Well, they have really good beer ...

Seriously, though it was a really hard choice. They offered me the job (contract and everything) about 2 months ago, and after long discussion, I turned it down. Last Friday, they came back with an improved offer and basically it was too good to pass up. It's an executive-level position, it's on the global team, it's about 30K Euro pay increase, and apparently they really want me. I'll probably never get a better job offer if I stay here. I have a really nice job, but I don't really want to keep on doing the same job for the next 5-7 years until I retire.

That's all the plus - the minus is saying goodbye to our comfy lifestyle and all our friends :(

What finally tipped the balance was the feeling that after 16 years here, it was time to get out and try something new. Learning a new language and a new culture might stop the ol' brain from getting so mushy with age.

cheers, Mark