basic Qs re package deals (5E, if it matters)

secretID

Am I correct that the pluses and minuses each must fit into the campaign minimums? That is, a 75/75 character only has 75 points in disads and 150 points total, regardless of what's in any package deal?

Put another way, am I correct that a package deal is in fact no "deal" for the player - it's just a list of things the player must fit into the character limits? (I ask this without criticism.)

Thanks in advance.

I think you've got it. Before about 4th edition there was an actual "deal" in that taking the required elements got you bonus points to spend. And some people do house rule that the Disadvantages (Complications in 6th edition) are over and above the standard allotment, but that's not the Rules as Written.

Basically, the package "deal" is about saying, "You want to be this thing? You must have these abilities." It's a way to avoid having a barbarian with no Survival Skill or a ninja who can't Climb.

Lucius Alexander

If you want to be a palindromedary, you have to take Defense Manuever

Thanks for the fast answers!

BTW, I haven't been on the boards in a long time, IIRC, and it's great to see you still at it, Lucius - "it" being the individualized clever postscripts. I think your dedication and consistency make it the most impressive thing I've ever seen in online interactions.

Thanks for the fast answers!

BTW, I haven't been on the boards in a long time, IIRC, and it's great to see you still at it, Lucius - "it" being the individualized clever postscripts. I think your dedication and consistency make it the most impressive thing I've ever seen in online interactions.

Well that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a while.

Lucius Alexander

The nicest thing anyone's said to the palindromedary in even longer.

Others have already given you the answer by RAW. 

I have allowed packages to be excluded before in the past as long as they were packages I designed without issue. However letting players design their own packages can often end up with game breaking situations in previous editions.

In sixth edition, this turns out to not really be a problem as disadvantages do not increase your point allotment. 

Others have already given you the answer by RAW. 

I have allowed packages to be excluded before in the past as long as they were packages I designed without issue. However letting players design their own packages can often end up with game breaking situations in previous editions.

In sixth edition, this turns out to not really be a problem as disadvantages do not increase your point allotment.

Complications work exactly the same way that Disadvantages did in 5th edition. They're just presented in a way that makes this hard to understand.

In 5th edition, if you are already at the limit of your allowed Disadvantages, further Disadvantages give you no further points to spend. In 6th edition, if you are already at the limit of your allowed Complications, further Complications give you no further points to spend.

In both editions, you get a certain number of points if you have no liabilities, and then liabilities may be taken to gain more points up to, but not past, a specified number. What's different in 6th edition is that it does everything possible to give the impression that taking the maximum in liabilities is mandatory, short of actually making it mandatory.

Lucius Alexander

This is not so much mandatory, as that even if I leave you-know-what out of this particular tagline, it's still implied by its own absence; this tagline has a hole shaped like a certain bicephalous quadraped.

Complications work exactly the same way that Disadvantages did in 5th edition. They're just presented in a way that makes this hard to understand.

I dunno . . . both seem pretty straight forward to me.

In 5th if it was 75 points with 75 points of disadvantages, you didn't get to be a 150 points character without taking those 75 points of disads.

In 6th, if it was 150 points with 75 points in complications, if you didn't take those 75points of complications, you were just a 75 point character.

I dunno . . . both seem pretty straight forward to me.

In 5th if it was 75 points with 75 points of disadvantages, you didn't get to be a 150 points character without taking those 75 points of disads.

In 6th, if it was 150 points with 75 points in complications, if you didn't take those 75points of complications, you were just a 75 point character.

It has left a lot of people with the notion that taking the Complications in order to get the points is optional.  

As I said above; the GM can do whatever they want, but they could do that in every other edition.  

It has left a lot of people with the notion that taking the Complications in order to get the points is optional.  

As I said above; the GM can do whatever they want, but they could do that in every other edition.  

Odd. I've always thought of both complications and disadvantages as optional. Sort of.

You don't have to take them but then you start out at way less points than everyone else so, as noted above, it's basically mandatory without being mandatory.

Odd. I've always thought of both complications and disadvantages as optional. Sort of.

You don't have to take them but then you start out at way less points than everyone else so, as noted above, it's basically mandatory without being mandatory.

Correct; it's not mandatory that you take them, but you don't get the points if you don't.