Speedster for review

Stone

Not happy with the name...still working on that.

MadDash

Player:

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
32 DEX 66
25 CON 30
13 BODY 6
13 INT 3
11 EGO 2
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
27 PD 13
28 ED 13
6 SPD 18
13 REC 8
52 END 1
40 STUN 4
6" RUN02" SWIM04" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 174

Cost Power END
50 Hyper Running: Multipower, 62-point reserve, all slots: (62 Active Points); Limited Power (Only in contacy w/surface; -1/4)
5u 1) Super Running: Flight 25" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x8)) (60 Active Points); Limited Power (Only in contact w/surface; -1/4) 6
6u 2) Overdive: Flight 25", Limited Power (Only in contact w/surface; +0), Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (62 Active Points) 6
23 Hyper Attacks: Multipower, 40-point reserve, all slots: (40 Active Points); OIF - Objects of opportunity (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)
2u 1) Blunt Objects: Energy Blast 8d6 (vs. PD) (40 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) 4
2u 2) Sharp Objects: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. PD) (30 Active Points); OIF Objects of opportunity (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) 3
20 Flurry of Fists: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 3
4 Swift Sight: Normal Vision, Only to preceive while moving at high speed A Single Thing 12-, Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (4 Active Points)
20 Armored Suit: Armor (10 PD / 10 ED) (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (added to Primary Value)
Powers Cost: 132

Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 15-
3 Defense Maneuver: I
3 Demolitions 12-
3 Lockpicking 15-
3 Security Systems 12-
24 +6 with DCV (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)
5 Rapid Attack (HTH)
Skills Cost: 44

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
20 Hunted: Viper, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
15 Hunted: Mechanon, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish
10 Social Limitation: Talks alot and very fast, Frequently (11-), Minor
5 Social Limitation: Gluttony, Occasionally (8-), Minor
10 Social Limitation: Show Off, Frequently (11-), Minor
10 Rivalry: Sidewinder(Viper), Professional, Rival is More Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
20 Dependent NPC: Aunt & Uncle, Normal, 8- (Infrequently), Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID, Group DNPC (x2 DNPCs)
20 Enraged: Innocents Hurt, Common, go 11-, recover 11-
20 Psychological Limitation: Protection of innocents, Very Common, Strong
20 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident, Very Common, Strong

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Jordan Shaw was always faster than anyone growing up. He was an allstate track star in junior high. College scouts even showed up to a few of his events. However, one summer everything changed. Jordan was out doing his normal summer routine. He went for his run and went to the store where his uncle worked. It was a daily event, Jordan's uncle drive home and Jordan would try to beat him on foot by cutting through backyards and alleys. This day Jordan was home almost as soon as he began running. He hid from his uncle allowing him to get home before coming inside.The next day, the same thing occured, Jordan's powers had began to manifest themselves. Knowing he could never compete in track again, he withdrew from competition. As he grew older, his powers grew and he became faster. Jordan hated having to hide his abilities. He wanted to show the world what he could do. After seeing the Champions on tv, he decided he had found the way he could help people and show his abilities. Since then, he has encountered VIPER on a few occasions. He especially looks forward to encountering Sidewinder so he can show him up and put him in his place.

The only problem I see with the character is END usage. The character will use some 8 END per phase (3 from half-moves and 5 from punching with fist power) which means he only has one turn of combat in him.

Also, I believe the Swift Sight should cost 6 points as FREd states that Sight is a 25 point ability. So the MegaScale on it should cost 6.

Since it looks like the character will be doing some Sweep attacks (due to buying Rapid Attack) you might want to consider at least 2 PSLs for Sweep to negate the OCV modifier too.

Originally posted by Monolith

The only problem I see with the character is END usage.

Well, I have a few issues.

What does this guy do for a living? How does he pay his rent and buy food? Regardless of HOIW he does it, hedoesn't have any skills to represent that he KNOWS how to make a living.

Metagame wise, the END thing IS an issue. If I were the GM, the lack of background depth would be a much BIGGER issue.

Originally posted by phydaux

What does this guy do for a living? How does he pay his rent and buy food? Regardless of HOIW he does it, hedoesn't have any skills to represent that he KNOWS how to make a living.

Maybe he does not know how to make a living. Maybe he lives off the income from his uncle's farm and does not need a job. Maybe he is a dish washer at a local diner. Maybe he gets paid a stippend from the city for being a professional superhero. Not every single character MUST have 50 skills to represent his life. Now in my games I usually require players to take about 50 points of skills, but this character is as valid as most of the Champions, who also do not have large amounts of background skills to represent how they make a living when not being superheroes.

I agree that it's a campaign issue. Or rather, it would only come up in a campaign, while if the character were only played in a series of one-off games it wouldn't come up. Or if the GM didn't care about such issues it wouldn't come up.

I usually offer bonus character points to characters based on background. Have a detailed, four paragraph character background and origin story? Take 10 extra character points. Have a color picture of your character? Take another 10 points.

I just try to reward the players who put that extra bit of effort into their characters.

Good overall

O.K. If I had to nitpick, does he really need all of that defense with all of that DCV? He does need a high PD to protect himself from Move through damage, but both a 28 ED and 17 DCV? Maybe lower the ED to 20 and use the 8 points for some KS, like KS-Track and Field World 11- or even a limited reputation in his home town ('Boy that kid shore was fast Ma, wonder what happened to him?'). Of course the SFX for the high def. can easily be that no single attack hits him dead on and is sometimes cleaner than the alternative of Damage reduction.

Also solely on effectiveness, not concept, only a 10 PRE is o.k. for a new PC but beware the power of PRE attacks. A few points is not as important in the old days when results were based on multiples, but PRE should be quickly addressed with EXP.

Since as he has always done things so much faster than everyone around him others would have taunted him with what they ment as insults. Everyone knows how kind children are towards one another. :rolleyes: He could always use one of these insults as his name - Speed Demon. It will also help to install fear in any opponents he tackles.

The character gets a PS: trade ot hobby at 11- as part of his Everyman Skills. I'd say his Skills suggest he works as a locksmith or security consultant, much as Kristopher has suggested.

I find the inclusion of Demolitions a little odd. If this were a burglar, fine - it represents a standard safe-cracker schtick (although at 12-, it's a good job he can move fast). However, nothing in the background indicates that he has been a criminal or indeed any other reason for having that Skill. Maybe there's a reason Stone hasn't yet posted, though.

PS: Athlete at 11- would fit with his background, giving you a spare point if you lose Demotlitions.