Vigilantism In Comics Blogs

Steve Long

This might interest some of y'all -- it's the first series of blogs about vigilantism in 1970s-80s comics that Ron Edwards (of Sorcerer fame) and I are writing. We open with a look at everyone's favorite gun-toting crimefighter, the Punisher. This blog covers 1974-1986; we'll do another one covering 1986 and onward. We've got plans to cover lots of other characters -- the Question (and Mr. A), the Vigilante, Rorschach, the Scourge of the Underworld, the Prowler, the Foolkiller, Batman, and many more -- so stay tuned and let us know what you think!

Eat hot lead, comics readers!

There's no direct correlation to gaming, but the blogs are written less as full scholarly treatments of the subject and more as our personal impressions of them, how they affected us, what we came to see in them, and so on. In my case, that means looking at them in large part as influences on gaming and what eventually became Dark Champions, so I figure that lets me get away with posting about this here. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mr. Long speaking of contrasting Punisher with other Heroes, I have a crossover of Deathlok (Michael Collins) with Punisher. Deathlok at one points remarks how the Punisher is more machine than he is.

Intriguing -- and for some writers of the Punisher, at least, reasonably accurate. That's part of the problem analyzing the Punisher:  there are an awful lot of takes on him that aren't necessarily compatible (at least not entirely).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...