Humourous and cautionary story of using prebuilt powers

Ninja-Bear

Last night i got to play a Champions game and had a blast. I got to use a stretch character named Elasti-kick. Now he was originally built at 250 pt. level. So when I heard that I could use him and upgrade him to 350 pt, I was ecstatic! Several months ago, I picked up a copy of the Ultimate Metamorph which is a good read. Due to real life and busy family, I took less than an hour and choose extra powers that were pre-built. One of those was the Gotcha! power. Basically it is a entangle damage shield so if someone hits you, wham you instantly grab them. And its not limited to the limb that hits you but by build you grab the whole character! (I'm going to change that too). Needless to say that when I remembered to use this power when I blocked a villain, whoop, whoop! However during the course of the battle and my team mate's surprise and annoyance,  this handy power was became a curse when he got knocked back into me. And hilarity ensued. At one point, a villain punched me, did knockback and i went into said team mate. The GM ruled that the villain was drugged with me so for a phase it was a three person pile up.  I pass on this story because not only is it funny (well the GM and I had a good laugh, the team mate didn't). But because i think that it shows a valuable lesson or two. Just because its in the book and RAW still look at said power because it may not do what you think it does. And even if you build a power yourself, sometimes it may still not work they way you intend to. Sometimes only actual game play will shake some of the bugs out. Any ways enjoy!

I will consider that a cautionary tale.  In spite of being invested in this game for a couple years now, I have yet to actually play it or run it.  I have a super busy schedule, and most of my friends prefer other games instead.

I know that feel bro.  I rarely get to play and if I do get to play outside of a convention I have to GM.

Personally if it is not written 6E1 or 6E2, I consider it not 100% raw. 75% Rule as Written, tops.

Especially with prebuild powers outside those two books I am carefull. They might be bending one rule or 5, because it works better in the intended context. And there is a lot of intended context that might be lost during writing it down.

In your example the power was propably for a tarbaby effect (wich afaik should be build with Clinging according to 6E1). Or maybe "pile of semifluid" Metamorph like Clayface or Sergeant Schlock. For them it kinda makes sense.

Christopher let me be clear, even if you use a built example from the core books, they may not work the way you intend them too. Which is the point of this little story. For example, Wraparound body is built as an entangle which has lockout and feedback (well at least the 5thr did). I could as easily bought it this way and when I tried to punch my opponent, the GM says "hey isn't that boughtwith lockout? No can do." P.s. I already knew what those disadvantsges were, and I bought the unhindering version so I could still attack someone. Also I want it clear that Im not against prebuilds at all. I do find them a time saver and really I wouldn't have thought up on my own some of the interesting ways you can build with a special effect in mind. Just make sure you double check what you buy.

Just because its in the book and RAW still look at said power because it may not do what you think it does. And even if you build a power yourself, sometimes it may still not work they way you intend to. Sometimes only actual game play will shake some of the bugs out. Any ways enjoy!

Truer words Ninja . .. Truer words.

"On Paper" is sometimes totally different from real world implementation.  And you won't know what the practical consequences of a build are until it's actually used in a live environment. 

This can, and probably is, due to how the player interprets how the combination of limitations and advantages work as opposed to how the GM does.

PS: I hope you don't mind the paraphrasing of your comment in my reply . . . . 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally if it is not written 6E1 or 6E2, I consider it not 100% raw. 75% Rule as Written, tops.

Especially with prebuild powers outside those two books I am carefull. They might be bending one rule or 5, because it works better in the intended context. And there is a lot of intended context that might be lost during writing it down.

In your example the power was propably for a tarbaby effect (wich afaik should be build with Clinging according to 6E1). Or maybe "pile of semifluid" Metamorph like Clayface or Sergeant Schlock. For them it kinda makes sense.

I just built the tar baby effect as listed in from fifth into hero designer and I had use the force button for the program to accept continuous on clinging. Hmmmm....