Advantages on Hand Attack

Kristopher

Well, only if the character didn't want to add any Strength damage to the HA.

According to the notes on Adding Damage to Advantaged attacks on FREd p. 272, a character can add damage up to double the unmodified Active Points in a HA with Advantages without having to have those Advantages on his Strength, as long as he doesn't use more Strength than those unmodified Active Points. (The only exception is "Invisible Power Effects," which must be bought for both HA and STR used with it.)

In other words, if the character with a +6d6 HA with "Affects Desolidified" has STR 30, he can use that Strength to increase the HA damage up to 12d6 as if the HA had no Advantages, and all 12d6 will affect a Desolid target. The character doesn't need to buy the AD Adv. for his own strength.

Now, he would have to buy it if the character wanted to use more than 30 STR, or else he wouldn't be able to increase the damage beyond 12d6.

Did that make sense?

It's actually one of the more complicated elements of 5E HERO System to unravel. One of our fellow board members, Talon, posted a link to a document he created drawing together the diverse rules for adding damage to HA and HKA from Strength, Martial Maneuvers, Skill Levels etc. and trying to clarify them. The link's not active anymore, but I don't think Talon would mind my posting the document here:

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Talon

The good Lord Liaden pointed out a tiny error in my document (namely, that it is possible to add any amount of STR to an Advantaged HA, but only if the STR has the same Advantages). A slightly updated version is posted here.

Thanks, Talon, you did some nice work with this, I appreciate you sharing it.

Guest Keneton

Those Two!

Well kudos are being distributed, I must add my own thanks. Lord Liaden and Talon have always been of great help to the posters on this board.

I got to game once with Talon, but have yet to have the honor of gaming with LL. Maybe one day.

From one Herophile to another I say thanks!

:)