Babylon 5 Hero

Aroooo

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Rigel

Aroooo, have you read the three "lost" Crusade scripts? The "End of the Line" script (which would have been the first season finale) has a few interesting spoilers about the Techno-Mages. I imagine the Techno-Mages trilogy of books reveals the same "secret" (though I have not read them).

I, too, would be interested in seeing a Techno-Mage writeup.

Rigel - by any chance do you have the ISBN numbers for those books? :D I would like to go and take a look at them at a local store but they told be I would need there numbers to help them find them... or at leat their full names. ;)

Anyway, any info. would be helpfull.

Drake-

PS: having the ISBN numbers should also help Arooo find it... almost instantaneously.

LOL! I'm laughing because of your timing. Rigel sent me an email last night on this very subject.

The scripts are not books, they were made available online (for a while at least). The main source is gone now, but you can find them if you look through Goodle or Yahoo hard enough.

It so happens that I managed to find them late last night. I have them as .doc files. I can't post them online (legal issues) but I can email them to you.

Aroooo

Update/Additions

A small update and some new additions. See the General Section for the new Transport Familiarity breakdown. Added a Professional Package Deal for Earthforce Security Officer (HD package file in the downloads section). Updated the sample character Steven Midnight (display issue with Systems Op skill).

Aroooo

(P.S. I accidentially deleted a post! I was trying to click the Edit button when my browser display started jumping around and the click fell on the Delete button. Sorry if it was someone elses!)

Originally posted by Aroooo

LOL! I'm laughing because of your timing. Rigel sent me an email last night on this very subject.

The scripts are not books, they were made available online (for a while at least). The main source is gone now, but you can find them if you look through Goodle or Yahoo hard enough.

It so happens that I managed to find them late last night. I have them as .doc files. I can't post them online (legal issues) but I can email them to you.

Aroooo

Could you email them to me also please?

Originally posted by Drakkenkin

Rigel - by any chance do you have the ISBN numbers for those books? :D I would like to go and take a look at them at a local store but they told be I would need there numbers to help them find them... or at leat their full names. ;)

Yeah, what Aroooo said. :)

I imagine that JMS (and his company) still own the scripts and their rights. To the best of my knowledge, they were made available online to fans through bookface.com before it went under. One script ("Value Judgments") was written by Fiona Avery and features the return of Bester.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really an update

I started entering the existing starships into HeroDesigner. Look for the [HD] next to the ship names for the download links. Originally I built the computer into the ship write up., but now they are separate files (one zip download though).

I've done the 3 main Starfuries so far. There were some small changes, mostly cosmetic.

Aroooo

Electronic Warfare

Since SH and TUV leave specific forms of EW, ECM, and ECCM up to the individual GMs, I've been trying to find the best ballance for building EW systems into my ship write ups. I've been going back and forth on styles for a few weeks now, and have come up with the following array of systems/powers. Before I do a formal write up, I'd appreciate some feedback. This is the listing of powers I'd prefer to use, levels/point values will be assigned as ships are built. One thing I'm trying to avoid is the all-or-nothing effect of Darkness or Invisibility, except as noted at the end.

First, some definitions, as I'm using them:

EW - Electronic Warfare systems - the general catch-all category of equipment that makes you harder to target. EW is an area effect - all ships in the area will suffer targeting penalties except the source. But if the source is in another ship's area, it will be affected.

ECM - Electronic Counter Measures - the set of gear that cuts through someone else's jamming.

ECCM - Electronic Counter Counter Measures - the gear that counters ECM.

Yes, I acknowledge that this is a drastic oversimplification. I'm not trying to reproduce real life, just add some of the electronic warfare feel to B5.

Sensors: All will have the following limitations: Flashed as Radio Group (-1/2) and Affected as Sight Group (-1/2)

EW Systems: Change Environment (neg to Sys Ops roll), personal immunity

ECM: Suppress EW Systems

ECCM: Power Defense

Sensor Masking: Negative Skill Levels as a Damage Shield (i.e. they only take effect if you are looked at - still working on the actual mechanics)

Stealth Systems: Invisible to Radio Group (with fringe?)

Chaff & Flares: +DCV levels; only to dodge/evade maneuvers (-1)

EW Specific Ships (these are stand-off ships that focus on EW (the EA-6B Prowler for B5): Darkness vs. Radio Group w/personal immunity

Aroooo

I don't really know that much about this subject, but I thought you may wish to have the Chaff & Flares built with charges.

As a side question, in real life do EW affect friendly units or can they be keyed? I would think if ship in your area had EW systems active you would make it just as hard for you side to hit as the other side... seems counter productive to me and my lack of understanding how EW work (though I know military uses them and they work for them.) :\

Drakkenkin

First, I just noticed last night that this (long) B5 thread has been rated! That's pretty cool. Thanks to everyone who voted! (And I didn't even know folks were voting.)

Second, Hero has a few ways to make things 'invisible' - invisibility, darkness to name the obvious. But only one power I can think of for creating skill or PER penalties - Change Environment. Are there any other ways to impose negative modifiers on a target without resorting to CE all the time?

Aroooo

EW Systems so far

This is what I have so far. I'm still working on the optional systems, but I'm pretty happy with the sensors and ew systems in general. (Note that the sensors are unchanged from my existing writeups or from how most of the SH/TUV/TE/AW vehicles are written.)

B5 Electronic Warfare Systems

Cost Power END
58 Sensors and Communication Systems: Variable Power Pool (Sensor/Comm Pool), 50 base + 8 control cost, (75 Active Points); all slots OIF Bulky (-1), Only for Senses and Communications (-1)
50 Long Range Sensors: NPA for Sensor VPP, MegaScale (1" = 1 million km; +1 3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (100 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1) 10
8 Target Identification System: +10 PER with Radio Group (20 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2) 2
40 Electronic Warfare Systems: Change Environment 8" radius, -5 to Radio Group PER Rolls, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 1 million km; +1 3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (120 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Effect lasts only while paying END (-1/2), No Range (effect centered on ship; -1/2) 12
15 ECM Systems: Suppress EW Systems 5d6 (standard effect: 15 points), any EW System one at a time (+1/4) (31 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1) [Notes: Range=150 inches] 3
52 ECM Systems: NPA for ECM, MegaScale (1" = 100,000 km; +1 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (105 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1) 10
2 ECCM Systems: Power Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Systems Operations Roll (-1/2) 1
Optional EW Systems
15 Sensor Masking (Electronic): Negative Skill Levels (-5 with PER or System Operation Rolls), Damage Shield (+1/2) (37 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) 8
25 Sensor Masking (Hull Coating): Negative Skill Levels (-5 with PER or System Operation Rolls), Damage Shield (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (50 Active Points); Ablative (reduce modifier by one for every 3 points of damage that hit hull location; -1)
3 Chaff and Flares: +1 with DCV, 32 Boostable Charges (+1/4) (6 Active Points); IIF Bulky (-3/4), Requires A System Operations Roll (-1/2)

Opinions?

Aroooo

• 2 weeks later...

New and Improved!

Well, sort of... The new and improved Starfury Aurora is ready for review. I've retooled the electronic warfare equipment, and tweeked the html file a bit. If it meets with approval, I'll crank out the rest of the ships. (Will be adding a section to the Ships section outlining the EW systems soon.)

Starfury Aurora is here:

http://www.aroooo.com/rpg_stuff/b5/ships/starfury_aurora.html

Aroooo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ship Updates

First batch of HeroDesigner ship conversions are done! I've converted most of the existing ships (i.e. ships I've previously done) to HD (v2.29). I have incorporated the ship's computers into the ship character (by means of a custom template), so now there is only one HD file to download/keep track of. The ship files have also been renamed a bit for easier tracking (I've added a gov't affiliation into the names). Also, there have been some minor tweaks to some of the ships - mainly in the armor/DEF area, plus some general (and minor) math/power errors that HD picked up on.

Aroooo

• 1 month later...

Re: Babylon 5 Hero

Its amazing how much a 'little' Boy Scouting and a 'little' baseball have managed to suck up any and all available free time. I've managed to get in a minor update to the site - I've added the Icarus Scout Ship HD conversion & file and retooled the Jump Gate using HD to make sure the advantages are correct. I'm also slowly building the first of the EarthForce capital ships (the Omega class DD's), and should have that ready in a few more days.

Aroooo

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Babylon 5 Hero

Well, a few days turned into a few weeks... but its finally ready. I've posted the Omeda and Hyperion ships to my B5 site. I've also posted their defense grid computers, as well as putting the Jump Drive write-up up. Check it out and let me know what you think, especially of the new capital ships.

Aroooo

http://www.starherofandom.com/b5/index.php