ye old portable hole...

Bloodstone

One of the self styled wizards in my group would like to create a portable extradimensional space in which he can carry around tons of useful equipment and posssibly an animal ... or ten...

This item will probably either be the classc D&D portable hole OR it may take the form of a nice purple top hat (which gets my vote for style)...

Regardless of that, how would you go about constructing such a magic item?

He was thinking some kind of OAF Xdim movement effect, but I was thinking perhaps an OAF gadget/summon pool would be better?

Ideas?

As always, reason from effect. What is he doing with the hat?

If the main purpose is to carry extra loot without encumbering him, then it's extra STR with an "only vs encumbrance" limitation.

If the main purpose is to allow the character to do a lot of little things, then a VPP is probably the best way to go.

Following the "reason from effect" path, something like a portable hole is much more complicated than just buying extra STR. It always does the same stuff, so a VPP would be out of the question. Basically what we're doing, is putting stuff into a pocket dimension for storage until we reach in and yank it out again.

I'd go ahead and rule that all you need is EDM and let the GM define the properties of the hole. It would natually be OAF, proabably take a Full Phase to activate (unfolding one takes a while you know), and use the Gate arangement found on page 149-150 of FREd. Let the GM rule whether or not the properties of the hole allow anyone to actually into or out of it.

If the players actually wanted to use it for a clever hiding spot I'd also make them buy it as a Base as well, and then simply define the portable hole as they way to get ot it.

Again from effect:

We actualy need to know something about the game: Do character pay points for equipment?

If yes, then this becomes one of 2 things: either a F/X for when he uses an ability (He pulls a horse out it is a summons, when he uses a sword from it it is a HKA), this might be a VPP (If he has everything in there), a MP (if he uses the same things one at a time) or a bunch of powers with the same F/X

If No, then I would go with the EDM, UBO, Gate, Etc...

If a portable hole, by default, happens to have everything imaginable in it, then I could see it as a VPP or Multipower. However, when any just says "portable hole" I immediately think of the D&D magic item. I especially think of the D&D magic item when the guy who mentioned it says it's kinda like the D&D magic item.

The D&D magic item is definately not a VPP or even a Multipower. It's just a closet that can fit into your pocket. There is no way a VPP can cover what can be inside, especially if such things can just be handed out to everybody. You can even put other player characters in there (though they may run out of air).

If it turns out not to be like the D&D item, then it could be anything, though I would still vote against VPP just because it wouldn't allow you to have more than one or two things out at a time.

Sorry for the lack of information guys:

1) We buy equipment with character points.

2) The player in question wants to use this to carry around lots of useful stuff. I don't know that he want's to have to predefine a laundry list of all of what all this usefull stuff is. In otherwords if I say, "Now if we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something." he reaches into his hole and pulls out wheelbarrow.

4) He has also mentioned the need to keep a few small animals in there. A certain innocent looking white vorpal bunny comes to mind...

4) I'm not sure if he wants to use it to haul around loot or hide, though since HE initially defined it like a D&D portable hole, most likely he wil want it to be be able to do that as well...

So far it looks like XDM and a base are the way to go here and the player will just have to keep track of what he has in the hole...

Oh, I didn't know the character's had to pay points for normal equipment (usually don't in a fantasy setting).

Personally, I'd still go with the EDM, but a small VPP to simulate the "I think I've got one of those...I'll check" nature of having lots of stuff might be a good idea. He'd have to explain how all of that stuff got in there in the first place though...