Soccer Thread 2017-18

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Seattle win tonight 2-1 on the road at a really awful (as in, currently have in hand the record for most goals conceded in a season, and a couple more games to go so they will add to that) Orlando club tonight, and clinch a playoff berth by going 14-2-2 in their last 18 games (including a 9-game win streak).  They started the season abysmally, but recovered in the second half of the season, and have now got ten consecutive playoff appearances.

EDIT: Also, late last week, a deal seems to have been worked out to keep the Columbus Crew in Columbus after an agonizing year with the previous owner bent on moving the team to Austin, Texas.  Big win for the dedicated Ohio fan base.

14 hours ago, Cancer said:

Seattle win tonight 2-1 on the road at a really awful (as in, currently have in hand the record for most goals conceded in a season, and a couple more games to go so they will add to that) Orlando club tonight, and clinch a playoff berth by going 14-2-2 in their last 18 games (including a 9-game win streak).  They started the season abysmally, but recovered in the second half of the season, and have now got ten consecutive playoff appearances.

EDIT: Also, late last week, a deal seems to have been worked out to keep the Columbus Crew in Columbus after an agonizing year with the previous owner bent on moving the team to Austin, Texas.  Big win for the dedicated Ohio fan base.

Seattle's game wasn't too polished and it was disappointing they didn't do better given the state that Orlando is in.  But three points is three points.  But the lackluster attacking performance does make me have a few minor concerns about the last two games, even if they are Houston and San Jose.

@the Crew.  While not a team I normally follow, I am always glad to hear it when fans are able to keep their team. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Spence said:

Looking forward to the semifinals.  First leg is in Portland and I have my tickets to the home game on Thursday.

Watching the Timbers get crushed is always a good day ?

Then I hope you have a horrible day!

Timbers against Sounders is what the fans of both these sides live for. I wish circumstances permitted me to go to the match, but Providence Park, wonderful and historic though it is, doesn't seat sixty thousand.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Then I hope you have a horrible day!

Timbers against Sounders is what the fans of both these sides live for. I wish circumstances permitted me to go to the match, but Providence Park, wonderful and historic though it is, doesn't seat sixty thousand.

LOL

It may not seat 60k, but I have friends that are regulars for the Thorns and they say it has a great vibe on game day.  One day I plan on making the trip to PP for an away game.  But for now I am limited to the Clink.

I love the (former) "House of Pane". One of the great experiences in any sport anywhere. And while I despise the Sounders and want them to lose when they play Portland (because Portlanders loathe everything Seattle except Starbucks) I respect that their fanbase for being as devoted as hours. We love our teams, and we love the game, so we have a lot in common. It takes guts to travel down I-5 and take a seat in the Visitor's section, which usually has lousy views and opens you up to all kinds of hopefully-playful "criticism" from the home supporters.

I respect and even admire the Sounders fans who are coming down to Portland for the game. I hope everyone is safe, and that they have as good at time as you would expect from watching their team lose.