Kung Fu 2100

Ninja-Bear

Hello Herophiles,

im finally sitting down to post about a game I would love to play in Hero system, Kung Fu 2100. I have the original Pocket Box version and the Gurps version. The premise is simple. In a near future, Clonemasters hold all the power (& technology). You are a super martial artist know as a Terminator, able to Dodge bullets and break down doors with your bare hands! Your mission is to destroy the local Clonemaster. However besides having a local police force, the Clonemaster has his own force of super martial artists which have failed to be Terminators and now work for the enemy, they are derisively known as Jellies. What’s not to love? Gurps does flesh this out a little more.

The biggest thing I need to get is to set the power level correctly.  On a preivious thread I stated that I keep falling into the trap of trying to do an exact translation instead of a paraphrase of you will. One element I would like to keep if possible is that in the PB version, Terminatora and Jellies can lose their super martial abilities.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

Terminatora and Jellies can lose their super martial abilities.

Lose them how?

Can they find them again after losing them?

If an ability is lost, can someone else find it and if so, what can they do with it?

Can I attach a bug or radio homing beacon or something to my super martial ability so that if I lose it it's easier to find again?

If I find a super martial ability that someone lost, should I keep it or turn it in to the super martial ability lost and found?

Lucius Alexander

If a palindromedary eats it, is it a supper martial ability?

In the pocket box game, if you take a hit, you lose an ability. If you lose all of them, you are considered unconscious. It’s a odd but ingenious way of tracking health and managing resources. Do I lose Monkey Soul which allows me to climb and avoid gunfire? Or do I lose Iron Fist and an ability to take out foes easier. If you lost all combat abilities, you fought under untrained column - which is horrible. In Hero terms I could see it as possibly tied to a custom form of Impairment. (Note this wasn’t translated into the GURPS version).

Here are the list of abilities:

Iron Fist- Punching used to destroy doors and equipment.

Lightning Foot-Kicking used to destroy doors and equipment.

Body of Mist-Provides total protection against Punches and Untrained Attacks.

Monkey Soul-Useful for scaling walls and Dodging bullets, total protection from Lightning Kicks

Mountain Heart- It’s an ability which you can lose a level but on recovery phase, may recover. 

Jellies have access to 4 weapons which Terminators won’t use.

Throwing Spikes (which go first), Yawara, Bo staff, & Nunchucks 

57 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Here are the list of abilities:

Iron Fist- Punching used to destroy doors and equipment.

Lightning Foot-Kicking used to destroy doors and equipment.

Body of Mist-Provides total protection against Punches and Untrained Attacks.

Monkey Soul-Useful for scaling walls and Dodging bullets, total protection from Lightning Kicks

Mountain Heart- It’s an ability which you can lose a level but on recovery phase, may recover. 

Jellies have access to 4 weapons which Terminators won’t use.

Throwing Spikes (which go first), Yawara, Bo staff, & Nunchucks 

sounds ok here

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

In the pocket box game, if you take a hit, you lose an ability.

Check out the Automaton Power, Takes No Stun.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests buying the abilites Linked to BODy....

I like the linked to Body idea! I’ll also check out the automaton power though I’m not against using STUN in this game. Though Terminators and Jellies will have a high CON. Also Since Mountian Heart in the PB game was an ability which you could lose so as to protect your other combat abilities, I’m thinking that it could be an Aid Power which allows you to temporarily offset the previous damage.  In the game, the sfx is that the Terminator fools his body into thinking he’s not as wounded as he really is. And in long term he isn’t healed just able to fight the 12 Turns of Combat. (The PB has turns and phases too).

Roughly I’m thinking, like this, Leaping Dragon you take 3 Body, you lose one ability. LD says I want roll MH, if he gets 3 Body then he doesn’t lose any ability however he needs to keep track of his real Body. If he rolled 2 Body then he must choose an ability loss. 

Edited by Ninja-Bear
More thoughts

Give them Takes No Stun and perhaps Life Support vs Disease and Poison, and they can dispense with CON entirely in mechanics terms while still being "Very tough constitution" in terms of the game world.

Also,

Mountain Heart:  (Total: 1 Active Cost, 1 Real Cost) Custom Power: Dummy Ability (1 Active Points) (Real Cost: 1)

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Heart

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/7/2018 at 7:15 AM, bubba smith said:

I had the platers convenience in mind in regard to the cost you probably have enough resorces

For my birthday, I picked up HSMA book.  So I might graze through this again. Power level, I’m thinking really by the power description, it should be Wuxia. I’m not sure why before I was trying to be Cinematic MA when they can really do Super powered things! To be clear, they still are “normal”.