independent?

Kefrem

Is it possibly under the Focus entry? Or the couch cushion?

Edit: I tried searching for the old thread with a list of changes, but couldn't find it. There was a wiki listing changes, but they didn't have Independent as being removed. Possibly moved to an Advanced Player's Guide? Sorry, I don't do  6th.

1 hour ago, Kefrem said:

hmm whats its modifier....so I can custom it. I wanted it for my mage so  his amulet would travel with him when he went astral is why I asked.

I mean, it's a pretty hefty Limitation, whose sole purpose is to make it so that the points spent in it are permanently spent.  Doesn't really do anything else that isn't covered by special effects.  As a GM I certainly wouldn't make it automatically do that.  In fact, most likely by default it would travel with him; to not do so would be a Limitation (and in fact, if you used Independent, then as a GM I'd use that as an excuse to have it not go with him).  

Are you the GM in this game?  If not, then you should ask the GM.

1 hour ago, Kefrem said:

hmm whats its modifier....so I can custom it. I wanted it for my mage so  his amulet would travel with him when he went astral is why I asked.

Apologies, missed this.

If "going astral" is built using Extra-Dimensional Movement, which I think you would then need an "affects physical world" or something along those lines (meaning the power can then be used whether you are in the physical world or the astral plane.)

While I like the idea of independent in theory, in practice it didn't end up working very well.  Its pretty awful to lose experience points permanently, so GMs tended to find ways they weren't really lost.  I mean, if you build some nice magic items for the party, yourself, or to sell using your own xps, then you're by that point total less powerful than the other people in your group.  Spending 25 points on magic wands makes you 25 points less powerful as those wants get broken, stolen, lost, disenchanted, etc.  So your buddies have a pretty significant power level total over you, and you have nothing really to show for it.  Or, you keep all your items, are more powerful than they are, and the limitation becomes a limitation that means nothing.

13 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

While I like the idea of independent in theory, in practice it didn't end up working very well.  Its pretty awful to lose experience points permanently, so GMs tended to find ways they weren't really lost.  I mean, if you build some nice magic items for the party, yourself, or to sell using your own xps, then you're by that point total less powerful than the other people in your group.  Spending 25 points on magic wands makes you 25 points less powerful as those wants get broken, stolen, lost, disenchanted, etc.  So your buddies have a pretty significant power level total over you, and you have nothing really to show for it.  Or, you keep all your items, are more powerful than they are, and the limitation becomes a limitation that means nothing.

I usually gave my players "resource XP" if they found suitable materials to build stuff with.  That way, you aren't "spending your XP" but rather getting XP specifically for item creation.  

Resource Points option works for this, as well, but might be a bit wonky if an item bought via resource points is stolen / used by someone else.  

its the 37  point version out of the current edition champions sourcebook(6th I think?) in the back under sample powers. The one using duplication. I have the old mystic masters book and it shows in there you needed independent in order to get a copy to travel with oneself. has this been altered?

10 minutes ago, Kefrem said:

its the 37  point version out of the current edition champions sourcebook(6th I think?) in the back under sample powers. The one using duplication. I have the old mystic masters book and it shows in there you needed independent in order to get a copy to travel with oneself. has this been altered?

No, just a very old book and now a new edition that doesn't have Independent at all.

I don't see this as necessary for Duplication; both duplicates are paying for the power, thus both have their own focus.  I could be mis-remembering 5E rules on this, natch.