Useful Extra Limbs

g3taso

I'm thinking of investing in an Extra Limb for my character, a Sith-style individual who uses the Force (Telekinesis) to create an invisible "arm". I'm curious as to what useful things I can do with this, like poking someone in the eye while I have them in a bear hug, or being apparently the most talented juggler ever.  I'm thinking of this: Extra Limb (1), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (10 Active Points)

I was curious as to what useful things one might be able to do with an invisible, intangible TK limb like that. Any cool examples?

Given the SFX, Nonpersistant (or Costs END To Maintain) is appropo here. They can't entangle or grab it while it is turned off, and its of no use while you're unconsious anyway. Your GM might rule its worth -0 in this case (and they'd be right)e but it is still worth it either way...

The first thing that comes to mind is gaining Suprise. You can be in hand cuffs, or have both your arms grabbed... and then with "but a thought" manifest an invisible arm (zero-phase to activate Extra Limbs), draw your Lightsaber with it (half-phase if built as a Weapon), and Attack (an Attack action of course).

You could Three-Weapon Fight... but there isn't much benefit to doing so in HERO. The best advantage that an extra hand gives in this regard is being able to use it to carry a melee weapon (and thus use it's levels for DCV in HtH) while also two-weapon fighting with ranged weapons (and using their levels for OCV or Damage). The reverse also works too (one ranged and two melee weapons).

Most anything else is gonna be a Power Trick, and if you go far enough down that line I think it will eventually just be more effective to buy Telekinesis instead.

Considering that actual "Jedi" their Force can easily be reproduced as Telekinesis with Gestures... I'd probably put this more as Telekinesis with a range limitation. Buying an extra limb could work for that, with then Fully Invisible, but that implies that there is a physical manifestation extruding from oneself to act as a literal arm. So if you want to grow an invisible arm? Extra limb. If you want it to function as an invisible arm, but not have to have conspicuous holes in your costume? Telekinesis.

Don't forget you will need to buy ambidexterity to use those limbs appropriately (all extra limbs are considered off-limbs).

Martial arts will get you the "stick a finger in the eye" maneuver as well as others.

Clinging would also be useful as an easy way to grab onto things without needing both arms to use full strength.

Skills like sleight of hand for pick pocketing and lock picking comes to mind.  For lock picking, you might want discriminatory on touch to be able to use touch to identify things.