Worst. Swords and Sorcery. Ever.

FenrisUlf

Originally posted by BlackSword

However, I think that the second captured the granduer of the Hyborian age better. There were many more shots of a large city, and the large pillars of unknown origin they went through at the beginning of their adventure.

I think that the budget for Destroyer was larger than that for Barbarian. That might be part of it at least.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I enjoyed the first three TC books I remember trying to reread them once several years ago and couldn't push past those first three or four horrible chapters and gave up. I remember the story being very moving and I liked it. Again, I was about 15 at the time so I'll put that down as not knowing better. I wasn't overly fond of the last three but I had a lot of time on my hands at the time and got through them unscathed. In the end, I can not say they are the worst books but can certainly understand a lot of people not liking them.

I seem to be the only one here that is going to bash Salvatore. I mean how many times can writer recreate the same character and still be taken seriously? "Oh look, a new story and the hero is a RANGER again..." Sounds like why a lot of you don't like Jordan. I've never read him and I think I'll pass. For the same reaon I find I'm no longer interested in H.P. Lovecraft, but that's OT.

Brook's Elfstones was much too long and hard to plod through. However I did like Kingdom for Sale series and his newest series.

The biggest "chase the author down and beat him to a pulp" vote (which is the original topic IIRC) I have would be for Gary Gygax. The first "Gord the Rogue" book was so good IMO that it suckered me into reading it to the very final piece of over- dramatic, insepid drivel as I kept expecting him to pull his head back out of his rear and return to what made the first one so enjoyable. I should have clued in on the fact that his publisher dropped the books after they started getting bland (for whatefver reason they had) and Gygax was forced to publish them himself.

Gygax had a Gord story published in Dragon magazine that persuaded me to steer clear of anything he wrote. Character development and interaction were not really there, but the worst part was that he insisted on writing as though he were transcribing an AD&D game. So you had fantasy that included all of AD&D's well known inconsistencies, like the disjoint between hit points and real damage, and 'disbelieving' illusions. Urghk.