Need help creating a character . . .

JCR

a start at a try at the GUN

Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

1) Laser: Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

2) Ion Wave: Blast 6d6, Double Knockback (+1/2), Double Knockback (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

3) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 4d6 (4 1/2d6 w/STR) (60 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

4) Force Tether: Stretching 60m (60 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Range Modifier Applies (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

Endurance Reserve (100 END, 0 REC)

Notes: See the two REC below

Recovery (1 REC)

Recovery (9 REC); (6 Active Points); Limited Recovery (plugged in to 147v 72 Hz (hey he is not from here); -2)0

I like where you are going w/ this.

2 hours ago, Tom Cowan said:

a start at a try at the GUN

Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

1) Laser: Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

2) Ion Wave: Blast 6d6, Double Knockback (+1/2), Double Knockback (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

3) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 4d6 (4 1/2d6 w/STR) (60 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

4) Force Tether: Stretching 60m (60 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Range Modifier Applies (-1/4), Only In Alternate Identity (-1/4)

Endurance Reserve (100 END, 0 REC)

Notes: See the two REC below

Recovery (1 REC)

Recovery (9 REC); (6 Active Points); Limited Recovery (plugged in to 147v 72 Hz (hey he is not from here); -2)0

Adding on to your ideas:

1) (gun shape) Tazer: add a stun setting. I take the terminology would be something like this: Blast 12d6 does only stun.

2) (shotgun shape) add a cone effect?

3) Plasma Rifle?

4) uhm no idea what this does *scratches head*

Endurance Reserve is the E-Clip?

Liking the battery idea to give each weapon shape its own amount of limited charges

Should I add a sniper rifle shape for really long range shooting be a good, a rocket launcher shape for the AoE attack of some sort?

Also considering some sort of separate multipower for grenade charges that can do the following:

Flashbang: blind

Foam Bomb: restrain

Neural Disruptor: affects psychic powers

Smoke Bomb: something to distract to make an escape

Would this be too ambitious w/ just a 400 point character?

4 hours ago, Jayzon said:

2) (shotgun shape) add a cone effect?

Say, folks:

Is Reduced Penetration still a thing in the new edition?  If it is, well...  Honestly, I love it for shotguns.  Well, open-choke shotguns, like assume you are building.  I am assuming this because of your question about the arc.  If you are building an open-choke shotgun, Reduced Penetration nicely simulates the dispersal of the blast force.  If you're going a full-choke, then realistically the AOE: Cone isn't accurate.  Even if you're going for an open-choke weapon, "narrow cone" is more accurate, as is Reduced Range.

3) Plasma Rifle?

4) uhm no idea what this does *scratches head*

Endurance Reserve is the E-Clip?

Liking the battery idea to give each weapon shape its own amount of limited charges

Should I add a sniper rifle shape for really long range shooting be a good, a rocket launcher shape for the AoE attack of some sort?

Based on your "too ambitious w/just a 400 point character question," the two answers are "depends on how effective you want each attack to be" or "depends on how you build it."

I know someone above cautioned you to not use Gadget Pool right away  (and for the most part, i agree; really I do), but there _is_ a way to do this with a gadget pool that doesn't greatly slow down play (Cue Harbinger of Bullets here):

Design each one of these attacks, completely.  Find the most expensive one, and build a gadget pool that large with the appropriate advantages and limitations for the pool itself to simulate what you have in mind for the SFX of changing the pool, the time involved-- whatever.

the key to not slowing things down or getting in over your head is to _force_ yourself to stick to your pre-made builds, period.  If you want to add a new twist on an existing design, or add a new design all together, do it between sessions and get GM approval before the game starts.  Then the only "slowdown" is going to be "I switch to this configuration," but even if you do a multipower, you've still got that problem.

Just my two cents, and worth every nickel, I assure you.  What?  Two cents isn't a nickel?   No; it isn't.   So you know: just an opinion.   

I'm not a huge fan of the Power Pool construct myself (as a GM, I mean.  It's awesome as a player! :) ), and coming at me with a new character who has a sizable power pool automatically defaults me to a "let's see why I won't allow this" mindset.  However, one of the things that works to sway me is pre-listed constructs, and an oath to not stop the game to write up a new construct.  Maybe your GM will feel similarly.

Also considering some sort of separate multipower for grenade charges that can do the following:

Flashbang: blind

Foam Bomb: restrain

Neural Disruptor: affects psychic powers

Smoke Bomb: something to distract to make an escape

This sounds pretty cool.  Quick question, though: what are the SFX and in-game effects (i.e., the mechanics) of "affects psychic powers."  Is it a Drain of some sort?  Some sort of EGO Defense?  A direct damage-dealing attack based on ECV?

The others are self-explanatory: Flash, Entangle, Darkness.  But "affects psychic powers" is a little to vague to be able to offer useful suggestions.

Duke

Great ideas, thank you.

I have to research that idea for shotgun, sounds like what am looking for.

The gadget pool vs multipower, I think the multipower is more akin to what am looking for, basically a weapon that can be reshaped to become a different weapon with its own traits, not looking into something that I can change to suit the mission like a pool point would allow (I assume this is more or less how it works). I don't want to tweak powers once the weapon is created, just create it so it has multiple powers (gun/shotgun/rifle/etc.). Though i can definitely see the greater advantages of a point pool in the long run.

The " affects psychic powers" grenade am looking for something that once I encounter a psychic I can throw at him/her that can disrupt, affect, or lessen their psychic ability. A quick simple idea could be something that just makes their OMCV drop so its harder to hit someone withe their mental powers.

You have certainly given me more to work w/ and consider; thank you!

I quote this from the original thread:

On 1/23/2019 at 12:32 PM, Jayzon said:

A human looking alien gadgeteer always dressed in a black suit (tie and accented glowy parts of his eyes and mouth varies in color), thus he is known only as Mr. Suit. His head and hands and forearms were damaged in such way that completely replacing them for bionic ones were they only way to save him. The technology that saved him was space age nanotechnology (did I mention he was an alien?). He is a technopath that can manipulate, control, and rearrange the nanotech that composes his suit (No telepathy or mind blast powers; not that kind of psychic).

Being able to shift your body/armor is not a power. It is a special effect that can be used to justify every power in the book. And I am not even exagarating!

So you can get a feel of what I am trying to build. As a person he should have a nice list of skills at his disposal (a few perks too?). His style is a mix of charm, negotiator, and rogue.

You can not really make a combat capable character that is also skill heavy. This is one of the biggest issue with pointbuy systems: Not being able to focus on a core concept.

And how relevant skill rolls will be can also vary widly by group.

Limitations can be a way to add more skills:

1) Build the Characters combat side as normal

2) Apply some Limitations. "Krytonian Powers", "Only in Alternate Identity", "Not in strong magnetic fields".

3) use the freed up points to add some skills he can use when his powers are disabeled.

Now the big danger here is that you spend those points on more powers. Try to avoid taht.

A) Main Defense: he can rearrange his suit into protective armor.

Main offense: he prefers ranged attacks and only does melee when forced to. always has a gun hidden in his suit. he can rearrange it and shift it into a shotgun, rifle, LAW, or a blade weapon. when it shifts it works differently (different powers; killing attack, AoE, etc.)

I would say, buy defenses and offenses as typical for a "Blaster" Character.

I would skip the part about his suit morphing into armor - just have the armor always on.  After all he has survived being blown up just recently, being a bit paranoid regarding further explosions is justified.

C) Main Non-Combat Travel: creates a motorcycle for his noncombat movement. not considering it have weapons (maybe something like leap to make impressive riding stunts or somesuch), its just for travel or escape. On the other end of the spectrum it could instead shift and become his heavy power armor to combat metas, but this is a cool afterthought, not what am shooting for. Travel:

D) Main Combat Travel: considering since its a variable point pool or multiform enhancing his running and making a gadget that gives him flight, but is not carried around w/ him at all times.

While a bit questionable ruleswise, it is possible to make a "Movement Multipower". A Multipower - seperate from his gun Multipower - that has nothing but movement power slots.

The Motorcycle could be him just having a Megascale movement power. A megascaling factor of 1-2 can get you far. You may want to add some reduced endurance/0 END, as otherwise questions might come up on how fit he reaches combat.

11 hours ago, Jayzon said:

I made a version using the Hero Designer software. I have no idea if its even legal system-wise, but I will link it here in case anyone wants to give it a look see and let me know what they think. Mr.hdc

Interesting, but the big problem is that the character relies too much on perceivable, which isn't legal with distinctive features (with the exception of the resistant protection).  You kind of abused unified power and then got the high power defense.  I don't allow this build in my games, as it is "here's a flaw but I also have an advantage that negates the flaw."

What do you think of this version?  I used a modified adventuring gadgeteer from the Champions 6e book and kept most of your skills.  The diplomatic immunity seemed questionable, given his background.

Mr Suit.pdf Mr Suit.hdc

1 hour ago, Jayzon said:

Took a pic of character sheet in case someone wants to see but doesn't have the character designer: 49454786_Mr.SuitV1.thumb.PNG.3293f3b69d67a59f100ef81fb6e214b9.PNG 

Rather then +200 END and +11 REC, maybe take a look at the endurance Reserve Mechanic? That one is usually used for "reactor" like abilities.

I think @Cassandra was it that had this rule aiming for "2 turns worth of Endurance + Recovery" in your End/rec buying.

1 hour ago, grandmastergm said:

Interesting, but the big problem is that the character relies too much on perceivable, which isn't legal with distinctive features (with the exception of the resistant protection).  You kind of abused unified power and then got the high power defense.  I don't allow this build in my games, as it is "here's a flaw but I also have an advantage that negates the flaw."

What do you think of this version?  I used a modified adventuring gadgeteer from the Champions 6e book and kept most of your skills.  The diplomatic immunity seemed questionable, given his background.

Mr Suit.pdf 81.51 kB · 0 downloads Mr Suit.hdc 36.2 kB · 0 downloads

As soon as i get hone and the conputer i will chek it out. I knew i had to be doing sonethibg wrong, i just had no idea what. Thank you for suggestions and ideas. Looking foward to seeing that gadgeteer. Also, the diplomatic immunity is because he is an alien from another "galactic country" and his family just got it (bribed...cough) from the local planetary authorities.

8 hours ago, Christopher said:

Rather then +200 END and +11 REC, maybe take a look at the endurance Reserve Mechanic? That one is usually used for "reactor" like abilities.

I think @Cassandra was it that had this rule aiming for "2 turns worth of Endurance + Recovery" in your End/rec buying.

Ok, i will look into that. Thanks for ideas and suggestions.

Edit: As of tonight the group has decided to eliminate END unless for some specific things and the game will switch from superheroes to super agents (less points total), but I will keep this in mind if they, for whatever reason, decide to switch back (we are a new group and are still testing stuff and flexing our creative muscles so to speak so the game is going thru some growing pains).

Edited by Jayzon
added more info

8 hours ago, grandmastergm said:

Mr Suit.pdf 81.51 kB · 1 download Mr Suit.hdc 36.2 kB · 0 downloads

I just took a look and I am really liking what I see. Today was our weekly game (4th time we meet since forming group) and we decided to change a few things. We are switching to Super Agents (less points) instead of superheros and it will be more dirty and gritty (more chance of dying than of getting knocked out). In the new version the character will switch to master of bladed combat instead of ranged, but I will give it some sort of ranged attack such as throwing knife or some such so he has something ranged too. So this build u made I would only need to reduce certain stats and a few minor tweaks and I think its good to go!!!

Thanks again! Once I make the changes and the GM approves it for the game I will be posting it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after much debate and playing around w/ ideas and points, advantages, complications, etc. here's what I ended up with. Played tested it as we began our new campaign and so far I had a blast w/ it. There's some room still to tweak.

The brain implant is something we agreed on having for each character that allows us to download temporary (skills only) knowledge into our brains relevant to our mission in order to be able to travel from dimension (each w/ its own tech/magic/monsters/ etc.). Example: if we go into a medieval setting I would download the skill how to ride a horse, if it was a futuristic setting I would download how to use an energy weapon, just to give a quick example.

I thank everyone that contributed and helped out! Also, any extra ideas/suggestions are most welcome!

Grim.pdf