Teleporting Objects

Foxiekins

There are no portals...  The staff just blinks out and back in, or he blinks out and back in...  It was a portal that caused the whole thing in the first place, though...  If you find a portal to another dimension, you should be really, really, really sure you want to step through it, before you do...

13 hours ago, Foxiekins said:

This is what I have done, so far...

Quarterstaff
Val    Char    Cost    Roll    Notes
20    STR    10    13-    Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]
20    DEX    20    13-    OCV:  7/DCV:  7
20    CON    10    13-
20    BODY    10    
20    INT    10    13-    PER Roll 13-
20    EGO    10    13-    ECV:  3 - 7
20    PRE    10    13-    PRE Attack:  4d6

10    PD    8    Total:  10 PD (0 rPD)
10    ED    8    Total:  10 ED (0 rED)
7    SPD    50    Phases:  2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12
10    REC    6
40    END    4
40    STUN    10    Total Characteristic Cost:  219

Movement:    Running:    12m/20m/48m/80m
    Leaping:    5m/10m
    Swimming:    5m/10m
    Teleportation:    5m/10m

Cost    Powers    END
    Extradimensional Staff, all slots Physical Manifestation (+0); all slots Unified Power (-1/4)
8    1)  Teleportation 5m, Position Shift, Safe Aquatic Teleport, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (19 Active Points); Can Only Teleport To  A Spot Where He's Touching His Staff (-1), Unified Power (-1/4)    1
18    2)  Summon 35-point creatures, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Slavishly Devoted (+1), Bo From Another Dimension (+1) (23 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)    1
23    3)  Bo From Another Dimension:  (Total: 35 Active Cost, 23 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 20) plus Stretching 2m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (3 Active Points); Only To Cause Damage (-1/2), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +1 with any single attack; Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)
26    4)  Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group) (32 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)
10    5)  Stutter 'Port:  Running +8m (12m/20m total), x4 Noncombat (13 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)    1
34    6)  Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Requires A Roll (14- roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1/4), Linked (Stutter 'Port; -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)
    Martial Arts: Bojutsu
    Maneuver    OCV    DCV    Notes
4    Atemi Strike    -1    +1    2d6 NND
4    Bind    +1    +0    Bind, 30 STR
4    Block    +2    +2    Block, Abort
4    Disarm    -1    +1    Disarm; 30 STR to Disarm
5    Jab    +1    +3    4d6 Strike
3    Legsweep    +2    -1    5d6 Strike, Target Falls
4    Shove    +0    +0    35 STR to Shove
14    Strike    +0    +2    6d6 Strike, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (14 Active Points)
5    Smash    -2    +1    8d6 Strike
0    Weapon Element:  Staff

Perks
6    Money:  Wealthy - $1,000,000 per year

Talents
3    Bump Of Direction

Skills
1    WF:  Staffs
2    KS: Bojutsu 11-
3    High Society 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost:  181
Total Cost:  400

400+    Disadvantages
15    Social Complication:  Secret Identity Frequently, Major
20    Psychological Complication:  Code Versus Killing (Common; Total)
15    Hunted:  The Government Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)
10    Distinctive Features:  Dude with a Quarterstaff (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15    Psychological Complication:  Distrustful (Common; Strong)

Total Disadvantage Points:  400

Background/History:  

Personality/Motivation:  

Quote:  

Powers/Tactics:  

Campaign Use:  

Appearance:  

This is him at the very beginning of his career, when he had his Origin, and is now asking "What do I do with the rest of my life?".

First of all, which edition are you using? The costs seem to me to be for 6th but the format seems to be for 5th.

"20    BODY    10"

Why?

"Can Only Teleport To  A Spot Where He's Touching His Staff (-1),"

In what way is he actually limited by this Limitation?

"18    2)  Summon 35-point creatures, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Slavishly Devoted (+1), Bo From Another Dimension (+1) (23 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)    1"

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do here. If you have defined the staff as a Physical Manifestation, it appears whenever the associated Power is used. It doesn't NEED to be "Summoned."

"10    5)  Stutter 'Port:  Running +8m (12m/20m total), x4 Noncombat (13 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)    1
34    6)  Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Requires A Roll (14- roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1/4), Linked (Stutter 'Port; -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)"

I just wanted to say this is some good creative thinking here. You do understand though that this means you can't attack while the Desolid power is in effect?

"4    Atemi Strike    -1    +1    2d6 NND"

In practice, in superheroic combat, I think you will find this maneuver to be wasted points. Even against street thugs it's usually not going to stun them.

"1    WF:  Staffs"

You don't need this for weapons you pay points for. This is only useful if you expect to pick up and use any staff lying around. And may not be necessary in a superheroic game even then.

Lucius Alexander

Weapon Familiarity: Palindromedary mounted weapons

2 hours ago, Foxiekins said:

There are no portals...  The staff just blinks out and back in, or he blinks out and back in...  It was a portal that caused the whole thing in the first place, though...  If you find a portal to another dimension, you should be really, really, really sure you want to step through it, before you do...

Portals are how I visualize it. You can, of course, use your own visualization. The main thing is, the staff appears, whacks a bad guy by moving past them, disappears, reappears to do it again, until it comes back after all bad guys in the area are attacked once. Special effects.

22 hours ago, Lucius said:

First of all, which edition are you using? The costs seem to me to be for 6th but the format seems to be for 5th.

"20    BODY    10"

Why?

"Can Only Teleport To  A Spot Where He's Touching His Staff (-1),"

In what way is he actually limited by this Limitation?

"18    2)  Summon 35-point creatures, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Slavishly Devoted (+1), Bo From Another Dimension (+1) (23 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)    1"

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do here. If you have defined the staff as a Physical Manifestation, it appears whenever the associated Power is used. It doesn't NEED to be "Summoned."

"10    5)  Stutter 'Port:  Running +8m (12m/20m total), x4 Noncombat (13 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)    1
34    6)  Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Requires A Roll (14- roll; Must be made each Phase/use; -1/4), Linked (Stutter 'Port; -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)"

I just wanted to say this is some good creative thinking here. You do understand though that this means you can't attack while the Desolid power is in effect?

"4    Atemi Strike    -1    +1    2d6 NND"

In practice, in superheroic combat, I think you will find this maneuver to be wasted points. Even against street thugs it's usually not going to stun them.

"1    WF:  Staffs"

You don't need this for weapons you pay points for. This is only useful if you expect to pick up and use any staff lying around. And may not be necessary in a superheroic game even then.

Lucius Alexander

6th edition...  No Comeliness, distances in meters...  That may be the export template I had available for Hero Designer, though...

I suppose it might make more sense to give him a lower BODY score, and moderate armor...  I started off putting all the first seven characteristics at the normal max of 20, and built from there...

Well, assuming 1 meter hexes, a teleport of 5 meters would let him blink to any of 90 hexes on the grid.  Only about 23 of those are reachable for any specific position of the staff...  A limitation of -1 is half effectiveness...  Half of 90 is 45, but given that he can also move the staff around a bit before he blinks, it felt about right...  Also remember that if he still wants to attack, he can only do a half move, not a full move...

Whoever put Summon into Hero Designer assumed it would always be creatures, but according to the rulebook, those are the advantages to use when letting the Summon be a specific object...  I may remove Physical Manifestation, though...  I mainly listed it at -0, because it is possible to target the staff and attempt to damage or destroy it...  It can't be taken away, though, or if it is, it's only temporary...

Yes, but he's only desolid *while* he's moving via the Stutter 'Port...  It's mainly to reflect that he's really hard to target while he's covering ground in Non-Combat that way...

I pictured him as a Bojutsu Master, and Atemi Strike is on the list of Maneuvers...  Part of the character concept...

The Weapon Familiarity is so if something does happen to his staff, he can at least use any staff lying around to defend himself...  It's only 1 point, and I don't believe in giving my players any opportunity to accuse me of favoring NPCs...  I used to play under a GM that did *way* too much of that...