Linux

JohnBear

Hi Folks,

I guess this is related to ChaosDrgn's "What do you code in" post...

I've recently switched over to linux and have run into a quandry...Actually 2:

1) In windows I've been using either Notepad++ or Codelobster for most of my html/css/javascript/php work. Any recs on the linux side of things? I don't mind learning eclipse, I was just never able to get it working right on windows (plus there's also a bazillion versions - heck I might even dust off my c/c++ skills). But it definitely seems like overkill. Then again, maybe not. Like I said, while I don't mind diving in, having some lightweight tools also helps.

2) For those who are familiar with tux, where the heck would be the most logical place to install Hero Designer? Putting it in the HOME directory wouldn't work for me as I want multiple users on my machine (all me - I've just found it useful from a project management POV).

/opt?

/opt/local?

/usr?

Some other homebrew directory? For example on windows I actually created my own "c:\apps" directory and most software I have goes there.

there's a linux notepad++ sort of equivalent notepadqq. It's ok.

i haven't done this, but I would expect that you should be able to install HD in /opt

alternately, if you are creating accounts to compartmentalize yourself, you could create an account for gaming related stuff and install on that home/<user>.

So following the excellent advice here, I created an "apps" directory (/home/apps/hero/herodesigner), unzipped the program, set the jar file to have executable permissions and viola! Everything works. 😁

Unfortunately...the program insists on saving the "appPrefs.xml " and trace.log files in the "/home/" directory, rather than in the program's actual directory.

Did I forget something?

Technically, you don't need to install Hero Designer to the hard drive. Since it's java you can just place it on a jump drive, then create scripts (or command files for those operating systems that think highly of themselves) so that it will function on whichever machine  you happen to get to use.

I normally use a version of the following scripts (after some attribute tweaking) on my machines:

linux or MAC 

• cd /
  • cd ../../media/<user>/<drive>/<program location>
  • java -jar <executable file>

don't make me explain this, it's too painful, but for those other guys you have to leave the command file on the jump drive and double-click on it

• setlocal
  • @echo off
  • rem drive letter environment variable
  • @echo %~d0 > drive.txt
  • @echo from %~d0 >> lastused.txt
  • for /f "delims=:" %%d in (drive.txt) do @set drvltr=%%d
  • cd %drvltr%:\<program location>
  • java -jar <executable jar file>

3 hours ago, JohnBear said:

So following the excellent advice here, I created an "apps" directory (/home/apps/hero/herodesigner), unzipped the program, set the jar file to have executable permissions and viola! Everything works. 😁

Unfortunately...the program insists on saving the "appPrefs.xml " and trace.log files in the "/home/" directory, rather than in the program's actual directory.

Did I forget something?

The kind of standard for precompiled programs is to install into it's own directory in "/opt". So something like "/opt/herodesigner". But it technically doesn't matter where it's placed if you set the permissions right.

I only have one user on my machine, so I'm not sure about the appPrefs.xml file. I'm also on leave and nowhere near my desktop to play around with it. Couple guesses, check your write permissions to the app folder? Make sure you run it from the directory it's in (cd  to where it resides before running your java, or set the working directory appropriately if your using a desktop based link)? Could also be a built in function of the program and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Guess I'll check back after I get home and have the time to check my own.

16 hours ago, theinfn8 said:

The kind of standard for precompiled programs is to install into it's own directory in "/opt". So something like "/opt/herodesigner". But it technically doesn't matter where it's placed if you set the permissions right.

If this was something that actually "installed" I'd agree with you. Since this is only for a particular "user" I figured I'd do it this way. This'll be something I'll do for just about any programs I write or use if they're portable.

I noticed this because if you want to add custom "sources" (for a 5th ed game) the only way to do that is to edit the appPrefs file directly. Otherwise HD ignores your custom powers in your templates.

1. HD will create appPrefs.xml (and other files/directories) in the folder that it is run from. Typically, this is the same folder as HD6.jar, but can be different if you do something odd for launching/shortcuts.

2. There is absolutely no need to ever manually edit appPrefs.xml.  If you are using a custom template and new rules/source materials are not showing up, then you have not properly defined the custom template...most likely placing custom definitions into the character data section rather than the rules/abilities sections.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, if you're able to edit appPrefs.xml and have the edit stick between multiple runs of HD, then your problem is with file/directory permissions -- HD will overwrite the file entirely during its shutdown sequence....unless blocked by permissions. Permissions issues will also create problems with custom templates (among other things).

1 hour ago, Simon said:

2. There is absolutely no need to ever manually edit appPrefs.xml.  If you are using a custom template and new rules/source materials are not showing up, then you have not properly defined the custom template...most likely placing custom definitions into the character data section rather than the rules/abilities sections.

Reminder this is for a 5th edition game, not a 6th edition.

From my windows PC (win 7x64):

Side Note: I started using "c:\apps" as my custom "Program Files" when I first switched over to Win 7. A large number of my (older) programs didn't want to play nice with MS's new UAC security. So by creating my own "Program Files" I completely bypassed the problem. Works great for windows 8-10 too <grin>

HD location: c:\apps\hero\herodesigner

Shortcut (start in): c:\apps\hero\herodesigner

Shortcut (filename): c:\apps\hero\herodesigner\HD6.jar

From appPrefs:

<SOURCES>
    <SOURCE>Other</SOURCE>
    <SOURCE>JJS_FH</SOURCE>
    <SOURCE>JJS_MECH</SOURCE>
    <SOURCE>DE_CHAMP</SOURCE>
    <SOURCE>Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book</SOURCE>

From my template:

<SKILL XMLID="jjsFH_Superskill" DISPLAY="z.jjs.FH: SuperSkill" ALIAS="SuperSkill" SHOWDIALOG="Yes" MINCOST="4" FAMILIARITYROLL="8" FAMILIARITYCOST="4" EXCLUSIVE="No" INPUTLABEL="Skill:" OTHERINPUT="Yes">
	<SOURCE>JJS_FH</SOURCE>
	<DEFINITION>(Fantasy Hero Ruleset Document by John Strasser: Superskills) Superskills (like alchemy, minecraeft, smithcraeft, botany, tanning, pottery, etc.) can be thought of as combinations of knowledge, science, and professional skills. Rather than buy 3 separate skills you now only have to buy one. You can use these as a replacement for any of the background skills where applicable. NOTE: Leave characteristic on 'General' to get an 11- for 5 points. Do NOT select the 'Professional' option.</DEFINITION>
	<CHARACTERISTIC_CHOICE>
		<ITEM CHARACTERISTIC="GENERAL" BASECOST="5" LVLCOST="3" LVLVAL="1" />			
		<ITEM CHARACTERISTIC="EGO" BASECOST="6" LVLCOST="3" LVLVAL="1" />
		<ITEM CHARACTERISTIC="INT" BASECOST="6" LVLCOST="3" LVLVAL="1" />
		<ITEM CHARACTERISTIC="PRE" BASECOST="6" LVLCOST="3" LVLVAL="1" />
	</CHARACTERISTIC_CHOICE>
	<EXAMPLE>Minecraeft</EXAMPLE>
	<EXAMPLE>Smithcraeft</EXAMPLE>
	<EXAMPLE>Magecraft</EXAMPLE>
	<EXAMPLE>Alchemy</EXAMPLE>
	<EXAMPLE> </EXAMPLE>
</SKILL>

My guess was because for my custom powers I've included a "<SOURCE>JJS_FH</SOURCE>" line.

Once we figured out why our templates didn't appear to show anything we started manually checking and editing the appPrefs file whenever we used custom templates as opposed to the default ones. And this held true regardless of if we created custom powers, skills, or anything else. HD apparently reads the list and then re-saves it to the file every time. So we just keep adding into the source list everytime we need to.

Again: there is no reason to ever manually edit the appPrefs.xml file.

If you're going to insert your own SOURCE elements on a custom rules template, you might want to ensure that the new source is selected under the application preferences when using said template. That's what the SOURCE element was included for.

Fwiw,

When we (my group) started doing this, my custom sources weren't listed on that page. In fact, somewhere here in the forums (2015-ish), I even asked you why we couldn't have an option (in 5th ed) for HD to just ignore sources entirely.

It's not worth me looking it up, but that was when I manually 1st edited the appPrefs file.

Since then I'll often find myself editing it, either to clean out the schmutz that builds up or to rapidly change directory paths (search & replace is your friend). And since I'm already in Notepad PP or some other editor cause I'm working on a template it's just faster.

• Simon locked this topic