Martial Arts and Bind as Block

Eodin

Reading through Viking Combat techniques, one I came across some time ago was how they would "block" a weapon attack by binding/entangling it, and following up as a counterstrike with their own weapon.  My original thinking was that you could abort to a weapon bind just like a block, and follow with a counterstrike if the bind was successful. But re-reading Hero Martial Arts 6th edition, you cannot abort to a  Bind, since it assumes Bind is an active attack like a Strike.

Should I just say the "Block" in the martial block is a temporary bind, like blocking an attack by grabbing the weapon and then letting it go, instead of trying to add an Abort element to Weapon Bind?

43 minutes ago, Eodin said:

Reading through Viking Combat techniques, one I came across some time ago was how they would "block" a weapon attack by binding/entangling it, and following up as a counterstrike with their own weapon.  My original thinking was that you could abort to a weapon bind just like a block, and follow with a counterstrike if the bind was successful. But re-reading Hero Martial Arts 6th edition, you cannot abort to a  Bind, since it assumes Bind is an active attack like a Strike.

Should I just say the "Block" in the martial block is a temporary bind, like blocking an attack by grabbing the weapon and then letting it go, instead of trying to add an Abort element to Weapon Bind?

Yes.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary affirms at both ends

Speaking from a HEMA perspective, if you're going for something more historically based, then I would suggest that the game is still correct. I would leave Bind as an active attack.

This type of immobilization always takes place after weapons come into contact with eachother (be it sword, shield, hand, etc.) Such a weapon "bind" is more like applying a joint lock to an opponent's arm after they have thrown a punch. You still need to defend against the attack before moving to the lock itself. You can't abort to a Martial Grab or Joint Lock.

I could argue there is a case for making a Parry, Block, or Dodge a pre-requisite to conducting the Bind...

On 5/26/2019 at 11:08 PM, theinfn8 said:

You can't abort to a Martial Grab or Joint Lock.

Ah, this gives me nostalgia for the old write up for Paek Tu (spelling?) that allowed you to Abort to attack with a +4d6 spinning back kick.  Overpowered as !@#$.  :)