Errata and Clarification

nitrosyncretic

How Champions Now is Different
From Other Champions Rulesets

(With some errata and rules clarifications)

Here's a collection of information that I've confirmed with the author about the rules as of July 4, 2020. I may add or edit this as new issues arise. Most of this is about dispelling assumptions of us who are familiar with other Hero rule sets. A few things are actually missing or unclear in the text. 

The best way to read and understand the Champions Now text is to take the text literally without outside connections. Pretend you have never read a roleplaying game before and have no assumptions to bring into the text. Do not  connect what you know from other games to the text and do not try to fill in parts you don't understand with the way another game does things. 

Player Characters

Starting with 200 points is the recommended default. 

The Ratio compares what the point total of the character would be without applying limitations to the total with limitations. Any point reductions due to the framework itself are left intact.

Situations

Side Effects must be directed against the character who has them on his sheet.

Skills

Acrobatics requires no roll, except to reduce Knockback effects. 

Powers

Concealment does not cost endurance to maintain (errata).

Drain. Drain has no range and requires a grab maneuver to apply. When bought as a transfer, you cannot take the Costs Endurance limitation (errata).

Entangle gives 1 def and 1d6 core body per 10 points assigned. (errata).

Flight can also be defined as gliding, super-leap, super-running, super-swimming, or swinging. These redefinitions do not require advantages or limitations and do not change the points required. They do change the dynamics of how the movement can be used in play. Flight must be acquired in 10 point increments; you cannot allocated 2 points to get +1 hex. 

Force Wall does not cost endurance to maintain, but does cost endurance to fill in any holes blasted in the wall. This power gives 1 resistant defense and 1 hex side for every 5 points; this means that a 50 point force wall has up to 10 hex sides, each with 10 rDef. The user might, for example, specify it as fewer than 10 hex sides, but still with 10 rDef for each side.

Images costs endurance each phase (errata).

Instant Change. 10 points gives either 1) a change between only two preset alternate forms or 2) changing to multiple forms. Per page 210, using the Instant Change to deceive needs a Disguise skill roll.

Life Support. All combinations of life support must have one specific exception where it doesn't work.

Negation. Paying Endurance each round prevents the target power from recovering. The target must pay endurance for the full power just to use it at the reduced level.

Regeneration recovers Strength, Presence, Body, Dexterity, Intelligence, Ego, Speed, and power at the rate of d6 units per recovery. Destroyed traits are regenerated based on the Core total of the regeneration power in units. For Strength and Presence, one unit is a d6. For Body, Dexterity, Intelligence, Ego, and Speed one unit is 1. For a power, one unit is 5 base points.

Running Power does not exist. You can not buy additional running. You can buy flight as super-running, but you must buy the power from the ground up; it does not add to ordinary running. In addition, you can push Strength to gain extra running for one action (see pushing below).

Stretching may add its inches to base running distance, depending on the special effect.

Teleport's base 20 points includes one free memorized location. Also, ignore the mention of “noncombat move” as it is an editorial oversight and should have been removed. Increased teleport distance must be acquired in 5 point increments; you cannot allocated 1 point to get +1 hex. 

Weaken has no range and requires a grab maneuver to apply. Weaken may take the Lethal advantage. (Errata.).

Endurance Costs

Endurance cost is 1 per 5 base points of the power. Advantages do not increase endurance cost.

Any power that you pay endurance to start or maintain turns off when you are stunned or knocked out.

Power Design

Rounding. When calculating final power points, retain fractions until after any Limitations are applied. Then round to the nearest whole number and round 0.5 down.

Combined Attack. Two powers may not be delivered in the same attack roll unless they are defined as combined.

Combined Power. You may define any two (or more) powers as combined. Once combined they must always be used together and activated in equal proportion. Powers within a single slot of a Multiform or Elemental Control are always combined. 

[Unconfirmed: I believe that Multiform slots can be considered combined with each other when they are active. In contrast, I suspect Elemental Control slots should always be considered separate. As a guide, I believe that powers outside of a framework can't be combined with powers inside a framework.]

Modifiers

Be sure to read the advantage or limitation description closely. Many modifiers give a specific list of which powers it may be used with. Powers not on the list are not allowed.

Advantages

Expanded Scope Advantage (p. 96)

A power bought at one scale only works at that scale. To have flight, teleport, or awareness at different scales, buy separate powers (power frameworks can help here).

Lethal can applied to any attack which ordinarily does no Body damage, giving it the additional capacity to do Body damage. The Body damage equals the core roll on the dice. The new/additional damage is stopped by the defense which ordinarily applies to this power, whatever it might be. (Errata).

Piercing may be applied to any attack that does Body damage. The Body damage bypasses non-resistant Defense.

Severe may be applied to any attack. When applied to an attack that does not ordinarily do Knockout damage, the attack now does Knockout damage equal to the total pips on the dice rolled and is reduced by Defense. When applied to an attack that does do Knockout damage, the damage now bypasses ordinary Defense and you define a new defense: Choose defense: Resistant Defense reduces, one power from the text negates, or one special effect negates. (Errata).

Reactive with Usable vs. Others means that you can direct the reaction against a target other than the one that triggered the reaction.

Limitations

No Range, as the text says, can't be applied to an attack power. For that see Aura or Strike advantages. When it refers to "Illusions" read "Images."

Frameworks

Each framework has nuances that reward careful attention. Here is a summary of the important difference (but not all the rules).

Variable Power Pool (p.92 and p. 103)

• Control may only be modified by these three options: Advantage: 0-Phase Reconfiguration (1), Limitation: Configuration can only change in special circumstances (½), Limitation: All powers inside the pool must take a specified limitation or set of limitations (¼)(this limitation remains ¼ even if the required limitations are larger.)

• Pool point total is never modified.

Elemental Control (p. 93 and p. 104)

• Control can only be reduced by limitations that apply to all slots.

• Powers in slots must cost endurance.

• Characteristics other than Strength are not allowed inside an Elemental Control.

• To calculate the cost of a slot, subtract the pool from the active points of the slot, then divide by any limitations.

• Slots Real point value equals (their Active points less Control Active points) / (1 + limitations from the control + limitations on the power).

• Slots may contain more than one power, but these powers must always be used together, activated in proportion.

Multiform (p. 93 and p. 106)

• Multiform requires actual changes in the form of how the power is delivered and described. It is not for selecting different variations on a power, such as you might want for Judge Dredd's multigun or variations on Teleport. Elemental Control does the work that most multipowers in the Hero System do. 

• Pool total is reduced only by limitations that apply to all slots.

• To calculate the cost of a slot, divide it's active points by 5, retain fractions, then divide by limitations, and round off.

• Only by limitations that apply to all other slots may be applied. Any further limitations provide no reduction and function only as special effects.

• Slots may contain more than one power and these powers can be used independently.

• Activating a slot requires you commit the full Active points of the slot from your pool, even if you are not using the full power of the slot.

• Changing the configuration of active slots requires a half phase action.

Fighting

Half and Full Actions: think of half actions only as components of a full action. If you only do a half action on your phase and declare your phase done, it's done.

Attacks are Half Actions unless otherwise noted.

Combined Attack. Firing two or more powers at a single target using one attack roll s fine, provided the Special Effects make sense. See also Combined Powers above. Defenses are applied separately however.

Martial Block: does not require you hold, prepare, or abort an action. You simply declare “I'm blocking” and apply +2 to your defense and you are considered blocking subsequent attacks until you take your next action. The block, of course, can only affect attacks with the appropriate special effect, usually a hand to hand attack. The half action status is primarily for judging whether the character has enough attention and appropriate positioning within the logic of the preceding "panel." A full move is the most common situation where the character can't perform a martial block because he's focused on moving. Many other full actions, however, do allow a subsequent block action-- e.g run half move to opponent, punch opponent, end phase. On their phase opponent hits back. I block. This would be classic martial arts interplay.

Move-Through and Move-By are considered the same maneuver for the purposes of buying levels and power modifiers. Together Ron refers to them as "Move Attack."

Mind Bar locks down an attacking power only if the attacker's roll fails.

Mindscape is maintained by attacking each phase. It stops when the attacks cease.

Noncombat Movement doesn't exist.

Recovery. When you take a voluntary recovery the effect is the same as if you were stunned--your defense drops to 6, you can only do free actions, you can't pay endurance to maintain any powers, and any powers that require endurance turn off (errata).

Recovering Points. Each recovery restores Endurance and Knockout by your Recovery score, and also 1 unit lost from any characteristics or powers. For Strength and Presence, one unit is a d6. For Body, Dexterity, Intelligence, Ego, and Speed one unit is 1. For a power, one unit is 5 base points. Damage done by a power with the Destructive advantage does not recover normally.

Pushing to add effect: pay 1d6 Endurance per 1d6 effect or Strength added.

Pushing for Advantage: pay 1d6 Endurance to "expand" a die of Strength or 5 Active Points of a power with a 1/2 Advantage. The only advantages allowed are Area Effect One hex, Area Effect: Explosion, Piercing, High Impact, or Severe. You can expand some or all of the units in your Strength or power. You can also push your Strength or Power beyond it's purchased maximum as above and then expand each of the pushed units. In total, this costs 2d6 Endurance per extra unit with the advantage.

Push for extra running: you can push Strength to gain extra running. To gain extra running, pay 1d6 Endurance per 1d6 of Strength you want to activate. In effect this "expands" a die of existing Strength to give +1 running. If you've expanded all your existing Strength and need even more running, then push for more Strength then activate each extra dice as described under Pushing for Advantage. In addition to the extra running, you can use all that temporary Strength if it fits into your action (errata).

Breaking Things. Defense values listed for inanimate objects and vehicles is technically resistant, i.e., it stops Piercing as well as ordinary damage. However, this can and should be ignored or reduced depending on the specific material and the specific special effect of the damage one. The Destructive advantage may also have additional effects on inanimate objects. Comics vary a lot in their dramatic enforcement and relaxation of physics, so you'll have to arrive at your own notions of what a fire-blast does to a wooden door, in terms of its Defense, or anything else damaged by anything else.

Thank you for the useful info and errata. It cleared up questions I had. It happens that I have still more questions. Could you answer, or get answers to, these questions:

Lethal

Can this be applied to Negation or Weaken? They fit the description, but are not on the following list.

Aura

Can this be applied to Negation or Weaken?

Reactive

What counts as having the “Usable vs. Others Advantage” for purposes of determining whether the reaction must be directed at the attacker?

No Range

By “Illusions” do you mean “Images”?

Attack Powers

When can a character use multiple attack powers in the same attack? Never? Always? When special effects fit? Something else?

Using an attack power is presumably a half phase action which counts as an attack. But since it doesn’t seem to say that in the rulebook, I thought I’d double-check.

Recovery

Can a character spend Endurance when making a voluntary recover?

According to page 25, says that combat value drops when one takes a recovery. Does this actually happen, and if so, what are the details?

Instant Change

Is the cost for ‘into a variety of forms’ really the same as ‘into a single form’? That is clearly what the rules say, but I can’t help thinking it must be a typo.

3 hours ago, ideasmith said:

Lethal

Can this be applied to Negation or Weaken? They fit the description, but are not on the following list.

Aura

Can this be applied to Negation or Weaken?

Recovery

Can a character spend Endurance when making a voluntary recover?

According to page 25, says that combat value drops when one takes a recovery. Does this actually happen, and if so, what are the details?

I added answers I know to the first post.

For Negate, Weaken, and spending End during Recovery -- I don't know. I'll have to ask.

Spending END during a Recovery...nothing states that you have to shut down powers that cost END when you take a Recovery.  So there's no reason to think those block you from taking a Recovery.  And given that there's no automatic Recovery, this is how I'd rule.

Aura has a specific set of powers to which it can be applied.  So by RAW, no, they can't be applied to Negation or Weaken.  That's clear-cut.  The question really devolves to, would it be reasonable to apply it to some instances of Negation or Weaken?  I'd probably say yes.  Weaken and Drain are similar enough that I'd consider a Weakening Aura.  Negation...to negate what?  Negation targets a power-based hazard or maintained or persistent power.  So if you adhere to those...it'd probably work just fine.  Recognize, tho, it'd be *ripping* through your END, and a Negation aura would be *expensive*.  That said, there's some that'd be cool for a multipower...I'm thinking Negate Entangle. would be a good one.  Turn on when you need it...even a couple dice for a couple phases will make your break-out notably easier.  I also like Negate Invisibility...invis person punches me, my aura starts covering him with freaky, sticky dust.  Problem is that Invis is all or nothing, so you need quite a bit of effect.  It won't be helping if your opponent misses, too;  taking out the Entangle has the advantage that the END you're spending is always going to a useful result.

Same arguments would seem to apply for Lethal, but I'd be leery of Lethal Weakens.  And Lethal Negation?  Maybe, in some fairly rare cases.  "I turn your own power against you!"  Ewww.... :)  I'd need to see pretty solid in-character justification before I'd consider it, I think.

Ron has confirmed that recovery does not allow expenditure of endurance. It also reduces one's Dex for defense to 6 and turns off any powers that require endurance. He said that it was an intentional design decision he made while aware there were no longer any free post-12 recoveries. 

I haven't asked him about Weaken and Negate. 

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

On the Instant Change, this one was brought up during the Kickstarter.  Ron's answer...same price.  If you backed the Kickstarter, see update 39.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, nitrosyncretic said:

I added answers I know to the first post.

For Negate, Weaken, and spending End during Recovery -- I don't know. I'll have to ask.

3 hours ago, nitrosyncretic said:

Ron has confirmed that recovery does not allow expenditure of endurance. It also reduces one's Dex for defense to 6 and turns off any powers that require endurance. He said that it was an intentional design decision he made while aware there were no longer any free post-12 recoveries. 

I haven't asked him about Weaken and Negate. 

Thank you! You have answered six of the questions and are working on at least two more.

About that ninth question (actually the third one that I asked).

You added some information about Reactive, which may have been intended to answer my question. If so, then my question was not worded clearly enough. Would it add clarity if I pointed out that Champions Now has no Advantage by that name?

32 minutes ago, ideasmith said:

You added some information about Reactive, which may have been intended to answer my question. If so, then my question was not worded clearly enough. Would it add clarity if I pointed out that Champions Now has no Advantage by that name?

Yeah...there's by/for others, depending on whether the recipient of the UOO gets it passively, like most defenses, or actively like a Flash, UBO.  

Reactive is limited to defensive powers.  The sense of Usable vs. Others you're noting is, this semantically seems to mean UAA, usable as attack.  THAT is not supproted.  So the correction is to rewrite "Usable vs. Others" as the power name, by/for.  Now it's fine.  Reactive Missile Def UBO?  Expensive as heck but feels entirely sensible to me.

Hm. I see that Usable vs Others isn't there on page 99. So here's a rationale I can see. The text says that "The extreme version is usable for any power, conceived of as conferring control over the power and its endurance cost on the receiver.... (Confers: +1 Advantage)" So one could say that the receiver is the person with the reactive power. 

This would let us design a reflection power as 6d6 blast, Adaptive Effect: input required (1/4), Reactive (1/2), Conferred on reflector (1) [Active Cost 82], Missile Deflection must succeed (1/2), for a real cost of 66.That would give the character the ability to reflect any bullet, beam, or force shot at them to a maximum of 6d6 and target any target. Kinda pricey, I agree. But you do get to shoot anybody.

If we only want to shoot back at the originator, the power might be 6d6 blast, Adaptive Effect: input required (1/4), Reactive (1/2),[Active Cost 52], Missile Deflection must succeed (1/2), for a real cost of 35, which is much more doable.

The point is that, as the advantage is written, yes...the control of the power belongs to the recipient.  So you can't build a Teleport, Regional, with a fixed location of "the entry yard of the supermax prison" and force the villain straight there.  Yeah, fine, you can try to grab him then teleport but that still allows the chance to react.  A "teleport someone against their will" doesn't.

VPP Control Skill.  P. 92 says 5 points for 11-, to alter powers as a 1/2 phase action in combat.  Doesn't say what it costs to buy up, and an 11- is awfully erratic.

Secondary question, if I have a VPP with a Control Skill.  I assume the process would be:

--I figure the power(s) I'm dropping to make room for the new power.

--Make the Control Skill roll.

--if the control skill roll is made, bring it up and use it.

But what if the control skill roll is missed?  Are those points 'dead' until my next phase, or can I fall back to the powers I'd planned to drop?  Can I immediately try to make another skill roll, if I still have a half phase left?

8 minutes ago, nitrosyncretic said:

Skill levels cost 5 points (p. 74). 

About 11- or less -- well other versions of Hero System add a penalty of -1 per 10 AC, so 11- might actually be more consistent.

What happens when you fail a control skill roll? I can't find that mentioned anywhere in Champions Now or Champions 6e. Champions III, where the VPP first appeared says: "...if you failed, you just wasted your time." Read that as you like.

So just treat like any other...yeah, that's right.  Gotta get used to that thinking more.

11- means it misses 40% of the time, so that's high.  6E Power skill is based on Int usually, as are quite a few other useful skills, so you're likely buying 13- to start with, and that's 3 points.  Now obviously the control pool size matters...but quite often, if you can put Limited Powers onto a larger VPP, you may well be better off paying the full No Skill Roll cost....cuz it'll get damped so greatly by the Limited Powers.  (And by any common modifiers.)  So wer're probably not talking a huge Power skill...18- skill roll is 13 points, and lets you manipulate a 50 point pool shift at 13-.

The other semi-lame trick is, of course, to also put Requires a Power Skill roll as a common modifier on the VPP itself.  Reduces, rather than inflates, the control cost, and does wonders for real costs.  Good chance you can even shave some off the real cost if you want, so the cost of the power skill isn't burdensome at all.

I might consider a house rule to mimic Limited Powers to drop the control cost a bit...maybe 1/4 and 1/2 levels, probably not the wide array that's in 6E.  

I read the text and have to correct what I said: the text on page 92 just says that the VPP control skill must be a new skill that's not on the list. It says nothing about what the starting roll would be. So I don't know. 

Ron has confirmed that VPP control skill starts at 11-. I added that to the first post in this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two quick questions, carried over from other threads.

1. Do enhanced senses other than Awareness exist? For example, if wanted a character that had night vision, how would I go about buying that? Or, based on the stated assumption that supers are inherently better, the character can just have it as a special effect?

2. There is no current listing under Life Support for extreme temperatures (hot or cold). Based on costs for similar environments, I'm thinking this could be a 5 point power. Thoughts?I

Any insights or direction that you could provide would be helpful. Thank you!

20 hours ago, Pariah said:

1. Do enhanced senses other than Awareness exist? For example, if wanted a character that had night vision, how would I go about buying that? Or, based on the stated assumption that supers are inherently better, the character can just have it as a special effect?

Yes, just take base level awareness and define the special effect with more detail than just "night vision." The special effect should determine how you get the night vision. The special effect will then have consequences on how the power works. For example night vision based on light enhancement will have occasional advantages and drawbacks different from night vision based on infrared vision. Light enhancement might increase the effect of Flash when in use while IR would have trouble distinguishing room temperature objects and beings, for example. 

2. There is no current listing under Life Support for extreme temperatures (hot or cold). Based on costs for similar environments, I'm thinking this could be a 5 point power. Thoughts?I

Any insights or direction that you could provide would be helpful. Thank you!

Hm. It's not listed in the rules or in Champions 3. I don't know what Ron would say. Maybe 5 points to be immune to heat or cold based environments. That would usually manifest as a hazard in the game. But I would not allow immunity to heat or cold based attacks, such as blast. For that you'd have to buy conditional Defense. Decide at your own table. 

Night vision alone...Ron's not wanting 'minor advantages.'   If the goal is nothing more than "see at night as if it was day"...if it fits your character concept, it'll tend to be free.  That's one of the cornerstone notions:  Supers Are Better.  

Life Support (heat/cold)...what kind of heat or cold are we talking about?  Walk around the South Pole in the dark...or dip your finger into liquid nitrogen and nothing happens?  Bask pleasantly in the Sahara in July at noon...or bathe in molten lava?  The first parts are too small to worry about;  the second tend to be too large for a 5 point power.  If all you want is "ignore environmental-level hot"...again, it's probably free.  "Bask in molten lava" is one HECK of a lot of defense.

I guess this represents the biggest difference between Champions Steve and Champions Ron. In Champions Steve, nothing is taken for granted and everything costs points. In Champions Ron, special effects covers a lot, but when points do come into play, they are governed rigorously.

I'm still figuring out where that distinction lies for some things.

First, More Questions:

What does 25 hexes of Flight/Expanded Scope do that 5 hexes doesn’t? 

Can you take Find Weakness with Presence Attack. (The rules say “single, specific attack”)

Which Powers are visible by default?

On 3/11/2020 at 10:27 PM, unclevlad said:

Yeah...there's by/for others, depending on whether the recipient of the UOO gets it passively, like most defenses, or actively like a Flash, UBO.  

Reactive is limited to defensive powers.  The sense of Usable vs. Others you're noting is, this semantically seems to mean UAA, usable as attack.  THAT is not supproted.  So the correction is to rewrite "Usable vs. Others" as the power name, by/for.  Now it's fine.  Reactive Missile Def UBO?  Expensive as heck but feels entirely sensible to me.

On 3/11/2020 at 10:56 PM, nitrosyncretic said:

Hm. I see that Usable vs Others isn't there on page 99. So here's a rationale I can see. The text says that "The extreme version is usable for any power, conceived of as conferring control over the power and its endurance cost on the receiver.... (Confers: +1 Advantage)" So one could say that the receiver is the person with the reactive power. 

This would let us design a reflection power as 6d6 blast, Adaptive Effect: input required (1/4), Reactive (1/2), Conferred on reflector (1) [Active Cost 82], Missile Deflection must succeed (1/2), for a real cost of 66.That would give the character the ability to reflect any bullet, beam, or force shot at them to a maximum of 6d6 and target any target. Kinda pricey, I agree. But you do get to shoot anybody.

If we only want to shoot back at the originator, the power might be 6d6 blast, Adaptive Effect: input required (1/4), Reactive (1/2),[Active Cost 52], Missile Deflection must succeed (1/2), for a real cost of 35, which is much more doable.

This raises more questions than it answers:

Is this instead of being able to lend the power  to another character, or as well? If as well, Do you have to take the advantage twice to get both benefits, or will taking it once do?

Whatever the answers, it is weird to conclude that Advantage A can have unrelated effect Y, just because the rules say Advantage B has that effect. And giving someone else the same power does not equate to giving oneself a slightly different power.

I now consider this enough of a mess that I’m house-ruling it in any game that I run. Possibly  ‘Add 1 to Advantage value to make power aimable at any target. (This replaces the reference to Usable Against Others.)

On 3/12/2020 at 3:47 PM, unclevlad said:

The point is that, as the advantage is written, yes...the control of the power belongs to the recipient.  So you can't build a Teleport, Regional, with a fixed location of "the entry yard of the supermax prison" and force the villain straight there.  Yeah, fine, you can try to grab him then teleport but that still allows the chance to react.  A "teleport someone against their will" doesn't.

You seem to have missed one of the additions for Teleportation. The one that reads: “Useable as a close-range attack to teleport a target: +30 Power Points”

Edited by ideasmith
caught typos

On the Flight w/Expanded Scope, yeah, I've had that same question.  It's left to the GM.  Also note...is there any reason to take Teleport with Expanded Scale, because it actually introduces problems that Flight *doesn't* and doesn't seem to reduce the travel time.

If necessary to compare with others’ actions, regional or planetary travel requires a full turn (six segments),

so you could argue that if you buy up the movement power, it's no longer 6 segments...the faster character(s) arrive in fewer, if it matters.  

I personally think this is one of the weakest points in Champs Now...what's 'regional'?  Why doesn't planetary cover regional?  That was poor phrasing, as it seems it darn well should.  And the speeds are beyond insane, if you're talking Flight.  LA to NYC....3000 miles...in, what, 10 seconds or so?  300 miles a second?  That's getting into being reasonably expressed as a fraction of the speed of light.  It's just crazy fast.  (Now, to be honest...I have severe issues with Hero's MegaScale applied to the continuous-move powers.  With 12" base, and base MegaScale 1m = 1 km, your move is SPD km/second, or if you prefer, Mach SPD * 1.3 or so.  You need MegaScale at its levels for some things but it's really bad for a number of others.)

But it's basically completely left to the GM to define.the implementation.  THAT is definitely intentional.