Speed, only usable for abort actions?

Panpiper

Could one get away with buying a free abort action, usable once per turn only? Basically buying an extra level of speed but putting the limitation on it of only being usable to abort to a defensive action? How much would you say that limitation would be worth?

needs more context, it is one of those cases where the value might vary.

In a SPD 4 game, if I was to buy SPD 3 and buy a fourth point with "only to abort" then I think I might be quite generous, possibly even to saying +1 or more.

In a SPD 4 game, if I was to buy SPD 4 and buy a fifth point with "only to abort" then I think I might be quite stingy, possibly even to saying +1/4 or less.

So what matters is how often that comes into play.  If I have the same number of actions to burn as everyone else and I have an extra one as long as one of those actions is an abort, then I am not particularly inconvenienced by that. 

3 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

So what matters is how often that comes into play.  If I have the same number of actions to burn as everyone else and I have an extra one as long as one of those actions is an abort, then I am not particularly inconvenienced by that. 

It's not so much an inconvenience, but it is certainly not as useful as having an extra potential attack move either. I'm asking more in the context of a game in which speed has 'not' been limited, though currently no character other than enemies have more than speed 6.

Just now, Ninja-Bear said:

Panpiper The phase you abort to what do you expect to do that phase? 

That would depend on the situation, dive for cover, catch a falling teammate, something along those lines. The idea would be to be able to pull such a stunt without it costing the action of a regular phase.

My take on it was that the character would be a speed 4 character but that one of those four actions would have to be abort or nothing at all.  So if the character attacked on segments 3, 6 and 9 then they would not be able to act on segment 12....not even to recover.

A generous GM might allow the character to act on 4 8 and 12 and, if necessary allow an abort on any other segment.

Doc