I Need Some Shadow Powers!!!

Drell

Hey folks,

I'm needing some good ideas for shadow-based powers for a sneak-thief-assassin type character. I have a number already, but would love to hear any and all ideas.

Couple examples I have already are:

Teleportation - Only from shadow to shadow

RKA's - Indirect (can fire an arrow into a shadow, and have it come out from another)

Please, throw me some ideas - anything and everything is welcome!!!

Thanks folks!

Re: I Need Some Shadow Powers!!!

Pluck From The Shadows: Stretching 2", x4 Noncombat, Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2)

A real quick power, but it acts as a kind of ranged TP using two shadows--you'll want to fine tune this one, but basically, you stick your hand into a nearby shadow and grab something from near another shadow some distance away.

Well, Darkness, obviously.

What Was That? - Images, only to manipulate/animate shadows - makes a good distraction

Shadow Concealment - Invisibility, only in Shadows, Only while not moving

Detach Shadow - Duplication, or Summon - creates an independent shadow of yourself, capable of various tasks, Visible (You have no shadow while using this power), The creature may have various physical limitations, such as Cannot Speak, and it may have no ability to physically manipulate objects, or have a 0 STR (or less)

Grab by the Shadow - Telekinesis (your normal STR), Must be able to "grab" the object's shadow. And similarly...

Shadow Strike - Indirect on personal STR and HtH weapons, to strike with your shadow, comes from your shadow.

Shadow Reckoning - Absolute Time Sense (and maybe Bump of Direction as well), only while outdoors while there's some sunlight in the sky.

Now It's Dark - Dispel Any One Light Source (candles, torches, laterns), perhaps with Non-Magical Light Sources Only.

What Lurks in the Dark? - Extra PRE, only to cause fear. Or perhaps PRE Drain.

I love these kinds of challenges! :bounce:

While not exactly Shadow Power related, here are a couple of teleportation themed power suites I've posted in the past that could certainly be folded into the umbrella of Shadow Powers and might give you some inspiration:

Wormhole Stan

52 Does Whatever A Wormhole Can: Multipower, 105-point reserve, (105 Active Points); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Side Effects (-1/4)

5u 1) Basic Gate: Teleportation 10", Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, x4 Noncombat, Usable By Other (+1/4), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (105 Active Points) 10

4u 2) Defensive Redirect Gate: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Line Of Sight (+1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Full Range (+1) (105 Active Points); Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4), Visible (-1/4)

4u 3) You Can See What I See: Clairsentience (Sight, Hearing, Radio And Smell/Taste Groups), Targeting, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (105 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (-1/2) 4

5u 4) Offensive Redirect Gate: Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), Line Of Sight (+1/2) for up to 70 Active Points of Any Ranged Attack, Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (105 Active Points) 4

5u 5) Acme Gate: Stretching 7", Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) (105 Active Points) 5

5u 6) Watch Where You're Going!: Teleportation 8", Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Usable As Attack (+1) (104 Active Points) 5

re: The Gate Limitation

Was not an option in HDv3 but an additional (-1/2) Custom Limitation on slot 1) would only save "1" real point.

and

The Deliveryman

75 Deliveryman Powers: Multipower, 75-point reserve

7u 1) Same Day Pickup & Delivery: Teleportation 15", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x4 Increased Mass, x4 Noncombat, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 2) Next Day Ground: Teleportation 10", No Relative Velocity, x32 Noncombat, x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 3) Next Day Air: Teleportation 5", No Relative Velocity, x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 4) Special Pickup: Teleportation 10", Ranged (+1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Usable As Attack (+1) (75 Active Points) - END=7

6u 5) Special Delivery: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Whatever the material that is teleported into target; +1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1), Does BODY (+1) (75 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4) - END=7

6u 6) We'll Box It For You: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; Based on material used to create Entangle; -1/4) - END=7

7u 7) Let's Open That Package: Dispel 5d6, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Any focus or physical manifestation based ability; +1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Cumulative (+1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 8) I'm Sorry, We Lost Your Package: Naked Advantage: Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) for up to 40 Active Points, Ranged (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 9) Let's See If We Have That In Stock: Clairsentience (Sight Group), x64 Range (14,400"), Analyze, Discriminatory, Targeting, Tracking (75 Active Points) - END=7

25 Tracking Labels: Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (5 Locations)

Re: The Deliveryman

The first 3 slots are personal movement only and the differences between them is primarily the distance traveled.

Slots 4 & 5 are combat oriented. The one with UAA can be used to 'grab' nearly anything or anyone. The RKA represents literally teleporting something into something or someone else. Both the UAA and the NND still need to have a defense described.

Slot 7 is good against focus based characters

Slot 8 would allow the character to redirect someone else's power (like a teammate) of up to 40 active points at range and at any direction he chooses.

Slot 9 would allow the character to find something. (He could assign a "Tracking Label" to later teleport it).

:cool:

HM

The following is a naked advantage power I used for an NPC that had a darkness related desol ability

Drag into Shadows: Usable As Attack (x2 maximum weight per inanimate target; +1 1/4) for up to 40 Active Points of Desol, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (62 Active Points)

another naed advantages used as a power

Ghost Touch: Affects Physical World (+2) for up to 20 Active Points of Strength, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points)

and instead of a vulnerability to light, consider this instead

ShadowMastery: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (only in darkness; -1/2), OIHID (-1/4)

ShadowMastery: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (only in darkness; -1/2), OIHID (-1/4)

From Faction Paradox-

"The principal weapon of any Faction recruit is the side-arm which he or she has bound to him or her during the initiation process"

Game effect - any weapon can be bonded. Usually only once unless the character is a witch or has other psychic powers. HTH weapons are favoured, but not compulsory.

A bonded weapon is IIF and NND. The defence would be bonded shadow armour (which no one has) or a block with another shadow weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

PATH OF THE SHADOW'S COMPANION

http://surbrook.devermore.net/herosource/fu.html

And don't forget to take a look at:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsassorted/theshadow.html

and

http://surbrook.devermore.net/heroallstars/theshadow.html

for some interesting (tho' not totally mystical) power builds.

:thumbup:

-Carl-

Clairsentience (seeing via shadows, or having shadows come and whisper the secrets of those who cast them).

Entangles.

Duplication- crafting a shadow into a temporary but convincing imitation of an object or a person.

A sort of parachute effect- all the shadows in a room are sucked together and up along the walls to the ceiling/something high, and are attached to the back of the character who is falling, and it slows his or her descent to a reasonable speed.