I need a little help with this character concept...

Richard Logue

I've got a "villain" who i am considering naming Lunatic. He's delusional but he has the power to create the abilities that he would have in a new state of mind. Note that his delusions are complete and he doesn't realize that he isn't who he believes he is.

For example, currently in the campaign, he calls himself Timber Wolf, and he believes he is a werewolf. Therefore his power makes him into a werewolf. He becomes bestial with the phases of the moon, he grows claws, his hair becomes unkempt, etc...

Now, how do I build this character? Do I build Lunatic and just give him a huge VPP, or do I create Timber Wolf and just know that he is Lunatic and can rebuild him as a new character later?

Ideas?

Richard

To me this sounds like the perfect type of character for the new Multiform power. I would just build the base character and then buy him a x8 Multiform, and then slowly design the forms as the character goes through his psychosis. Base form in Lunatic. Second form is Timber the werewolf. Third form will be something else.

Originally posted by Richard Logue

I thought about that, but the problem with Multiform is that if you can convince him he isn't a werewolf, he'll never use that form again. Also, he could, technically, have an unlimited amount of forms.

Well, it is not that expensive to increase to 16, 32, 64, 125, etc. As the character gains experience each doubling only costs 5 points. You could even put a small Limitation on the Multiform (-1/4) to show that once the character is convinced it is impossible he never uses it again.

I thought about that, but the problem with Multiform is that if you can convince him he isn't a werewolf, he'll never use that form again. Also, he could, technically, have an unlimited amount of forms.

Richard

Well, if he needs more forms, it's 5 points of villain bonus to double the amount, right? Add a few more points in and he'll have an effectively unlimited supply of forms.

As for convincing him, just put a limitation on the Multiform that he can only use the form while he believes he's it.

Lunatic

Though I prefer to be very sparing with the VPP's, I think that this is a perfect case for one, especially since it is an NPC. With the Limitation "No Conscious Control". That way, his normal stats would stay the same, and only be augmented by whatever powers that he currently believes that he has.

LegionX

Multiform doesn't cost END to use, and therefore is a poor choice to allow in ANY power framework -- let alone a VPP.

I agree that a Multiform with a large number of duplicates is probably your best bet here. It only takes a Half Phase to shift them, after all. Be warned that this can create a lot of work for the GM or player running that character; for example, the player running Hexadecimal (the villain with 16 forms!) still hasn't gotten 5 of the forms done and the campaign is 2 adventures and several tests old :D

Another possibility is to go with an "outsized" Multipower (one that has a pool size larger than any one slot) and/or one with a number of variable slots. This may *sound* like a simpler option (and it doesn't require the half phases) -- but in practice, it slows down combat by increasing decision making.

Lunatic

Oh yes,

On that VPP with the "No Conscious Control" limitation, I forgot to mention adding a limitation that the "powers can only be used to create 'whole' alternate identities (-1/4)" only (-1/4) since you can still mix and match. And maybe a limitation that powers can only be changed between adventures since it appears not be a moment to moment thing, and the advantage "Does not require a skill roll".

Just some ideas to help you out.

LegionX

Originally posted by Acroyear

Why does he call himself Lunatic if he doesn't realize he's nuts, anyway?

LoL.. I was going to call him Lunatic. But it is only a conception name. Actually I was considering making him a doctor of some sort who cracked under stress. Therefore, he'd probably just call himself by his own name when he was lucid. Of course, the character concept has him shifting from delusion to delusion with no break inbetween.

A VPP or Multiform would imply a unified character no matter how diverse. If I simply made him a new and different character with the same Secret ID everytime I used him, it would be as if there were no connection between the different delusions.

Thoughts on that?

Richard

If I simply made him a new and different character with the same Secret ID everytime I used him, it would be as if there were no connection between the different delusions.

Thoughts on that?

Richard

Well, essentially he's a villain/NPC. So you don't even have to work out the mechanics of the changes. That stuff is for players. Just write down what happens if you need notes and go with it.