Chargen Help Booklet Suggestion

Tassyr

So I'm new to HERO, as is everyone else in my little group. I'm desperately trying to get my friends into the system so we can run a particular game under it, but we keep running into a certain metaphorical brick wall; 

Chargen seems AMAZINGLY complex at first glance. There's more stats and variables here than in any system I've seen before, and the powers section completely leaves us in the dust. 

What I was thinking is someone who understands this sort of thing more than I (Admittedly, that's most everyone) could possibly work up a document about character generation, written assuming that whoever will be reading it might never have played before. Things explained in detail but without wandering all over the place- and organized into tables and charts, rather than just blocks of text. That sort of thing.

I know it'd probably be a pain in the butt to make, but it'd really help us newbies.

When you say 'never played before' do you mean never played ANY role playing game of any kind before?

I hate to say it but at it's roots HERO was as much an alternative to D&D of the late 70's as it was a supers game (long before it became evolved into the generic system it is today).  It has never really been written or marketed to total newbie gamers.  It has always worked best as 'ok, I've tried this and that and parts were fun but others were not.  there's got to be something better (for me)'.

With that said you should take a look at this great thread by Tasha:

My character building technique (How to build Hero System Characters)

When you say 'never played before' do you mean never played ANY role playing game of any kind before?

I hate to say it but at it's roots HERO was as much an alternative to D&D of the late 70's as it was a supers game (long before it became evolved into the generic system it is today).  It has never really been written or marketed to total newbie gamers.  It has always worked best as 'ok, I've tried this and that and parts were fun but others were not.  there's got to be something better (for me)'.

With that said you should take a look at this great thread by Tasha:

My character building technique (How to build Hero System Characters)

Oh we've played before- just not HERO.

Part of the problem is that such a booklet would have to be "tailored" to the kind of game you want to run. Creating a hard boiled detective who shoots straight, can take a punch, and knows which speakeasy runs a crooked poker game in the back, is not the same as creating a starfighter pilot whose psionic gifts allow her to use the psychosensitive controls of the most advanced spacecraft, communicate securely in combat with the rest of the team, and sometimes even predict an enemy's next move, is not the same as creating a journeyman wizard whose assiduously crafted arcane effects can baffle a band of brigands or Goblins or becloud an Ogre's feeble mind into viewing the wizard as a trusted and respected kinsman whose approval and goodwill matter deeply.

Which book or books do you have, and do you have a particular kind of game in mind yet?

Lucius Alexander

And will it have palindromedaries?

Assuming you're coming from D&D, or at least have some D&D experience, there are a few tricks you can use to help switch mental gears.

The six basic stats: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Ego, Presence. They correspond to their D&D counterparts, barring the basic mechanical differences between the games.

OCV and DCV correspond roughly to offensive and defensive adjustments. OMCV and DMCV are the same, except for mental powers (MCV for Mental Combat Value). Speed is similar to attacks per round. (You could double a D&D character's attacks per round and almost exactly get SPD.)

PD and ED don't have close correspondences; maybe damage reduction is D&D's closest similar thing. Nor Recovery and Endurance. BODY and STUN are your hit point equivalents; Stun is nonlethal or subdual damage.