Properly Applying Advantages

g3taso

In the recent Parkour threads a naked advantage was proposed that looked similar to this:

3 Parkour Movement, Enhanced:  Usable As Flight (+1/4) for up to 24 Active Points of Running, (6 Active Points); Requires An Acrobatics Roll  (-1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4)

I thought that No Turn Mode might be ossum. Is the adjusted power below workable? In Hero Designer there was the option of applying as a modifier or a naked modifier, and I used the former.

4 Parkour Movement, Enhanced:  Usable As Flight (+1/4) for up to 24 Active Points of Running, No Turn Mode (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Requires An Acrobatics Roll  (-1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4)

The cost of the No Turn Mode Advantage should always be based on the Active Points of the meters of movement it applies to.  Your method is instead basing it on the Active Points of the Usable As Flight Advantage.

Only In Contact With A Surface by default would not allow for the 'Leaping' often used in Parkour.  This is why I defined a customized version in my example from that earlier thread. Flash (a poster boy for Flight OICWAS) would run the full distance from roof to ground to roof when going between tall buildings. A Parkour user would 'leap' between them if he invested enough points into extra running and the Parkour Skill/Talent.

3 Parkour v2: Usable As Flight (Naked Advantage; +1/4), No Turn Mode (Naked Advantage to offset the Turn Mode gained by Usable As Flight; +1/4) for up to 12 Active Points of Running (6 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Skill roll, -1 per 10 Active Points modifier; Must be made each Phase/use, Can choose which of two rolls to make from use to use; Acrobatics or Breakfall; -3/4), Limited Power Must Start In Contact With A Surface And Land Each Phase (custom; -1/4) - END=1

:)

HM

The cost of the No Turn Mode Advantage should always be based on the Active Points of the meters of movement it applies to.  Your method is instead basing it on the Active Points of the Usable As Flight Advantage.

Only In Contact With A Surface by default would not allow for the 'Leaping' often used in Parkour.  This is why I defined a customized version in my example from that earlier thread. Flash (a poster boy for Flight OICWAS) would run the full distance from roof to ground to roof when going between tall buildings. A Parkour user would 'leap' between them if he invested enough points into extra running and the Parkour Skill/Talent.

3 Parkour v2: Usable As Flight (Naked Advantage; +1/4), No Turn Mode (Naked Advantage to offset the Turn Mode gained by Usable As Flight; +1/4) for up to 12 Active Points of Running (6 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Skill roll, -1 per 10 Active Points modifier; Must be made each Phase/use, Can choose which of two rolls to make from use to use; Acrobatics or Breakfall; -3/4), Limited Power Must Start In Contact With A Surface And Land Each Phase (custom; -1/4) - END=1

HM

Is there a way to add this as a Talent to the HD program?

Sure.  Just use the Custom Talent option. 

However, that just adds the 'name' of the ability like all of the other Talents.  I often rebuild many Talents as Powers on my character builds so all the rules stuff is on the character sheet (example - Lightning Reflexes.  Building it as a Power lets me show the alternate DEX for Initiative in the Characteristic Block on most HD Exports).

HM

I was going with the notion that like in a FMOVE martial maneuver, that your attack (or jump, in this case) could be made along the path

Sure.  Just use the Custom Talent option. 

However, that just adds the 'name' of the ability like all of the other Talents.  I often rebuild many Talents as Powers on my character builds so all the rules stuff is on the character sheet (example - Lightning Reflexes.  Building it as a Power lets me show the alternate DEX for Initiative in the Characteristic Block on most HD Exports).

HM

Hey, that's a neat trick!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks so too