RQ conversion

Markdoc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

heroquest

That is true but Issaries Inc now has the rights to the Heroquest name and they have published their new game set in Glorantha: Heroquest. Nothing at all like Runequest but it finally addresses the heroquesting so often mentioned in Runequest. It also finally starts fleshing out the cultures of the Lunar Empire.

Glorantha is a great world, and would be fun to play FH in! One thing of note in any version of Glorantha is that everybody knows a little magic. EVERYBODY. I can;t think of any RuneQuest or heroQuest character in which 'the gift had gone dead" and they couldn;t use magic at all.

Reminds me that the current edition of HeroQuest is on my short list of Games I Want To Buy. I loved the system and wish it was open Content so that i could adapt the basic ideas of the system in other genres.

How Robin Laws keeps coming up with all this brilliant stuff is as much of a mystery to me as how Hero games keeps up with its schedule.:)

>>> How Robin Laws keeps coming up with all this brilliant stuff is as much of a mystery to me as how Hero games keeps up with its schedule.<<<

Different tastes, I guess: one reason for writing the conversion notes was that we played with the Heroquest rules and found them so intolerably icky that they simply were not an option.

What exactly does "Meaningful Glare 17" or "Find Another Way 12" mean anyway? Robin Laws has stated repeatedly that he sees the system as just a general guide to the Storyteller/GM: in other words, the GM decides what suits the situation at hand. Just a tad too arbitrary for my tastes.

I passed up the Dying Earth sourcebook, depite my love of the books because of the unusable system.

OTOH - Laws keeps writing books so maybe I'm in the minority :)

cheers, Mark

Originally posted by Markdoc

>>> How Robin Laws keeps coming up with all this brilliant stuff is as much of a mystery to me as how Hero games keeps up with its schedule.<<<

Different tastes, I guess: one reason for writing the conversion notes was that we played with the Heroquest rules and found them so intolerably icky that they simply were not an option.

OTOH - Laws keeps writing books so maybe I'm in the minority :)

cheers, Mark

I don't think you are in the minority but I think the play of the game or any game for that matter would depend on the group that is playing. After all Runquesters are also in the minority but that doesn't make us wrong ;)

My guess (because I haven't played HQ) is that you would need a really flexible GM and very proactive players to have a good game.

I have HQ and it does add plenty to Glorantha; the magic is everywhere in the world. I also like the ideas about Heroquesting and I think it wouldn't be that hard to adapt especially to a Hero sytem game since it does scale up easier than RQ does.

Warren

PS

I am considering doing a Glorantha pbem for Hero on Hero Central. I am running a pbem set in Balazar: Griffin mountain. Your conversions will go a very long way to getting it going. Thanks

>>> I have HQ and it does add plenty to Glorantha; the magic is everywhere in the world. I also like the ideas about Heroquesting and I think it wouldn't be that hard to adapt especially to a Hero sytem game since it does scale up easier than RQ does.<<<

Got it in one, my man! The old RQ rules are kind of kludgy - especialy as we use a fusion of 2nd Ed. and 3rd ed. rules. I'm used to them, so that's no biggie.

But funnily enough, RQ has never really had good rules for Heroquesting and since I wanted to run a side campaign where heroquesting would be a major element, a conversion was clearly called for.

cheers, Mark

>>> I have, off and on, tried to convert Spirit Magic into Hero system; I took somewhat of a different tack. Would you mind if I posted some of my ideas to compare and contrast with yours?<<<

Go for it! The more information/ideas /discussion the better, as far as I am concerned.

Cheers, Mark