Reddit - wallstreetbets

Steve

1 minute ago, Duke Bushido said:

Well, that went off the rails rather quickly. Sorry, I've been doing a lot of this from home the past few days, and I really needed a de-stress exercise.   :lol:

Stuff happens.

Is Melvin's portfolio public?  How did that happen?  I didn't think you could actually see that might be long on silver.

Just now, TrickstaPriest said:

Stuff happens.

Is Melvin's portfolio public?  How did that happen?  I didn't think you could actually see that might be long on silver.

For the most part, yes, but honestly, I haven't dug into their entire portfolio: I just stared digging into their silver holdings when someone who knows more than me about the actual stock market (the commodities market is _related_, but different) when I started hearing rumors that Melvin "leaked" the rumor that they were short on silver-- and of course,the rumor itself made no sense, since it's really, really difficult to explain a shortage of raw materials in the current commodities market.

There are a lot of people who know more than me, but most of those companies have to register their holdings, and make at least part of their profile public to attract investors.  That's how I found that they are quite long on silver; my instinct, based on the dipstickery going on in the lumber market right now, and supported by-- and I can't stress this enough-- people who know more than the damned-little that I know about the stock market suggests that they trying to goad a bidding war on a limited number of stocks, then "discover" more as the price moves up-- a false short of sorts, intended to net them the money they need to get out from under their Gamestop fiasco.

The laddering has been going on 24/7, and someone seems to have poked out the SEC's eyeballs.  

Or covered them with blindfolds made of money; I can't say which.

8 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

For the most part, yes, but honestly, I haven't dug into their entire portfolio: I just stared digging into their silver holdings when someone who knows more than me about the actual stock market (the commodities market is _related_, but different) when I started hearing rumors that Melvin "leaked" the rumor that they were short on silver-- and of course,the rumor itself made no sense, since it's really, really difficult to explain a shortage of raw materials in the current commodities market.

There are a lot of people who know more than me, but most of those companies have to register their holdings, and make at least part of their profile public to attract investors.  That's how I found that they are quite long on silver; my instinct, based on the dipstickery going on in the lumber market right now, and supported by-- and I can't stress this enough-- people who know more than the damned-little that I know about the stock market suggests that they trying to goad a bidding war on a limited number of stocks, then "discover" more as the price moves up-- a false short of sorts, intended to net them the money they need to get out from under their Gamestop fiasco.

The laddering has been going on 24/7, and someone seems to have poked out the SEC's eyeballs.  

Or covered them with blindfolds made of money; I can't say which.

Okay.  So it's definitely a possibility.  Especially when misinformation is involved (by one party or another) I like to double check people's sources.  I don't do it often enough.  I don't discredit your instinct, just that I am looking for sources I can reference and share myself.

14 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Okay.  So it's definitely a possibility.  Especially when misinformation is involved (by one party or another) I like to double check people's sources.  I don't do it often enough.  I don't discredit your instinct, just that I am looking for sources I can reference and share myself.

Not only is there no offense taken, there is considerable appreciation:

I do the same thing, and encourage other people to do so, and most importantly, I _stress_ that I am _not_ educated in this beyond what I have had to learn either for various jobs or for my own curiosity: I cannot stress highly enough that I am _not_ the guy you want to hang your investments on, at least outside of commodities (advice there?  Short-term only, and not too much in any one place.  As it's not the stock market, and regulated differently, manipulation is rampant)

6 minutes ago, Bazza said:

In Historic First, Janet Yellen Becomes First Female Treasury Secretary To Request Ethics Waiver For Wall Street Speaking Fees
https://dailycaller.com/2021/02/03/janet-yellen-ethics-waiver-gamestop/

If you trace back from that article to the Bloomberg article it's summarizing, the requested ethics waiver is for her to participate in an already scheduled meeting.

She's not had a chance to install a team yet. If she isn't the person representing Treasury at the meeting, it's likely to be someone who's left over from the Trump administration.

That doesn't seem likely to be a helpful upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a banner hanging on the front of our local store while I was on the way home tonight:  "TRADES ARE BACK!"

I know that in the long run, it's a doomed company, and I stated up front that I didn't spend anything I couldn't afford to lose, because I'm going to ride it into the ground, but I couldn't help feeling a little giddy when I saw the sign.   :lol: