More Modern Regions in Faerie?

segerge

According to a quick Google (thanks foe the heads-up), it was Space Battleship Yamato, translated into English, French, and German at various points in time, and released in the US as Starblazers.

Which lead to another thing that made me smile:  both that show and my own arc of space were named for the Glory that was The Yamato.

On the subject of Faerie during WW II, there were other regions and peoples defined for that dimension in additional Champions 5E/6E books. One was first raised in Champions Of The North, with further elaboration in Golden Age Champions.

In the Northern Lights, the spirit realm of Inuit myth, there's a region called the Land of Ice or the Ice Realm, whose Ice People were ruled by the immortal King Vultok, a devotee of the great spirit of the North known as the Ice. During WW II Vultok allied with the Axis and became the greatest threat to Canada, operating out of a palace under an impenetrable dome of ice in northern Manitoba. In 1948 Vultok's minions stole a prototype atom bomb, intending to deliver it at the first United Nations meeting in San Francisco. Several Canadian heroes tracked the bomb back to Vultok's palace and confronted him, during which the bomb was accidentally triggered. The blast killed Vultok and destroyed his palace and dome, and apparently the blast carried to the Land of Ice and wiped out all the Ice People. UNTIL still maintains a watch over the radioactive remains of Vultok's Earthly base. (GAC also mentions that Vultok returned from the dead in 2008 and allied with the demon Tillingkoot, but nothing about his later activities).

The other new region appears so far only in GAC. The land of Bohica is inhabited by the Gremlins, a diminutive but hardy race who, unlike most inhabitants of Faerie, are fascinated by mechanical devices, and adept with them beyond most human engineers. Since the Industrial Revolution the Gremlins have covertly visited Earth to study human mechanisms, and sometimes reward inventors of particularly clever devices, or sabotage shoddy workmanship. But pre-1940, Nazi occultists discovered and invaded Bohica and enslaved the Gremlins, forcing them to build weapons and equipment for the Third Reich. Many of Germany's cutting-edge devices only functioned with assistance from the Gremlins. The crown prince of the Gremlins, Fubar  (;)) , was freed by Allied superheroes and joined the war effort until 1944 when they liberated Bohica. At last word Fubar succeeded to the throne of Bohica and still rules it, occasionally interacting with Earthly heroes.

The GAC Kingdom of Bohica was in my mind when I originally posted this this.  I envisioned it in parallel with a weirder WW2 instead of replacing it.

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Avvorsinf to a quick Google (thanks foe the heads-up), it was Space Battleship Yamato, translated into English, French, and German at various points in time, and released,in the US as Starblazers.

Which lead to anothee thing that made me smile:  both that show when my own arc of space wwee named foe the Glory that was The Yamato.

So, are you saying that Faerie is interstellar in nature? :D

Edited by segerge
syntax fix

Not impossible! In mythology, there are countries in the sky. One source I read on Chinese myth placed Tian (Heaven, realm of the gods) in the Pole Star and Big Dipper, with the alternate name of the Forbidden Purple Enclosure. The Sun can also be a whole world of radiance with lakes of fire and trees of jewels. I seem to recall some Native American myths of sky countries as well, though this is beyond my expertise.

Tropes that seem new, or even futuristic, can have very old roots that help them grow in the Land of Legends. Especially when people think they are real. Like, I wouldn't expect Star Trek's planet Vulcan to manifest in the Land of Legends: even for most Trekkies, I think, there's still a whisper of "This isn't real, no matter how much we love it." (Or maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.) But people have noticed how tales of alien abduction emulate ancient tales of being taken by the fairies. It seems very plausible to me that the Greys flit about the skies of Faerie, and sometimes slip across to Earth. (If they are not some form of astral marauder, as I suggested in The Ultimate Mystic p. 178.)

But in the future, there might be legends about treasure-mines in lost asteroids, or space stations where things have gone Very Wrong. And Faierie will make them real.

Dean Shomshak